Author Topic: PlaneShift 0.5.9 release!!  (Read 11439 times)

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
Re: PlaneShift 0.5.9 release!!
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 10:48:04 pm »
I CAN MULTI-LOG AGAIN!
* Mariana Xiechai runs around the room throwing confetti

Wooooooo!  :sorcerer:
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 01:43:17 am »
when something is listed under art it means it's in the data not that you can access it already.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 03:24:04 am »
The model of the interior may already exist. But an "action location" has to be created to be able to right-click the door and "Enter". Possibly together with an additional entry in the "zoneinfo.xml".

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 09:58:20 am »
I'm curious as to the new wands added for magical ways, though.  For those who've already gone through the entirety of quests for a Way, how would he or she go about getting a Wand that's been added to their Way?

The new staves are available long before the quests to give them.  It's a rather big project under way to redo the magic quests.  Staves will be part of that.  Since Tuux worked so hard to get those ready, seems sad to shelve them all until the project is done.  So they will be gifts for now (like many glyphs were before they were available in quests.)  Hopefully they will be available in GM events or maybe a travelling merchant will sell them...  Ideas are currently being explored.  But that quest project is a big one and it's hard to put an accurate eta on it.

The interior to Harnquist means you can now go inside the closed doors?? I have just finished updating and the doors are shut and right click wont work.

What LigH said.  Besides, at the moment it is just an empty space, so not very useful.  Equipment will be added there shortly, and the action location will be added then.  Harnquist can have a "grand opening".   :)

And for what it's worth, something else that's being worked on is animation sequencing, so we may actually see doors visually open.  Right now, you just right click and bang, you're on the other side.  It would be nice to have actual functioning doors, wouldn't it?  The idea would be useful for doors, hinges, levers, etc.  It can really open some nice possibilities.  But some work needs to be done to even make that possible at this point.  It's "in progress".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:00:39 am by Mordaan »
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 12:21:36 pm »
And for what it's worth, something else that's being worked on is animation sequencing, so we may actually see doors visually open.  Right now, you just right click and bang, you're on the other side.  It would be nice to have actual functioning doors, wouldn't it?  The idea would be useful for doors, hinges, levers, etc.  It can really open some nice possibilities.  But some work needs to be done to even make that possible at this point.  It's "in progress".

Will open doors then work as portals? What I mean is, take a guildhouse for example, all we see now is the exterior building and when we click on the door we are beamed to the interior instance. So, if we are able to open doors, will it then act as a more seamless transition between exterior and interior, say, like walking into Kada's or the laanx temple? Would we be able to view the interior from the exterior when the doors are left open?

This would be excellent for establishments such as the RCD, or guilds who may want to operate more as shops. The open doors would be a signifier that they are open for business.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 02:51:09 pm »
no guildhouses won't change and won't open and most likely most of the current places won't change. those are for dungeons. opening doors means the whole map is loaded so it's heavy. And for certain guild houses will remain like they are...

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 10:48:34 pm »
Ok, well I was just wondering because normally it would be already set up before the update. And not all added interiors are a right-click on a door. E.g Amdeneir Tavern interior, they just made it so the door was permanently open.

I personally think there needs to be a redo of Harnquist's again. Sorry. It's a little mary-sue, not dirty enough and looks like a temple.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 08:37:24 am »
Would we be able to view the interior from the exterior when the doors are left open?

Unfortunately I don't think we can go that far.  Like weltall suggests, it would cause some serious lag.  I was just thinking of places like the court house, winch, smithy, etc. where at the very least you'd visually see a door opening.  Maybe to a black area or even just a static picture of an interior...something that wouldn't require a portal to be shown.  Eh, just an idea.  Not sure if it can ever be pulled off seamlessly as you say.  But we can dream.     :-X
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

garoninja

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 04:27:46 pm »
Absolutely wonderful update.  :sorcerer:

Garosan grins "Sit on me and I'll put a crossbow bolt in the back of your head then bludgeon Vayl to death with one of your arms."

Eardstapa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 11:34:35 pm »
thanks for the hard work on the update, devs.
just a comment about mount speeds - since the update, the slower mount speed seems pegged to the new unmounted walk speed instead of the (unmounted) run speed, as it used to be. if realism was the aim in slowing down the walk speed  ;), well, it should be realistic for a rider and a runner to keep pace, no? hope it's an easy fix? thanks.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 11:47:15 pm »
have you ever been on a horse? they don't necessarily walk fast.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Eardstapa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 02:51:53 am »
lol, true, and neither do all people. but i think we'd tend not to amble when there are places to get to or show someone -- without it taking all day in real time ;)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 03:11:13 am »
* LigH watches Eardstapa slowly stalking along and thinks:
Here comes the Eardstapa – murderer

Ini Kamoze: Hotstepper

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Eardstapa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2012, 09:09:02 pm »
* Eardstapa thinks she'd better slit Erelenga's throat quickly - before they slow the speed of murder too.  ;)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2012, 01:36:42 pm »
Overall it's a really nice update.  I have a few notes:

1. NPC dialogue - I really like the new interface.  However, it's kind of annoying that being in NPC dialogue blocks access to the normal chat window.  Also, I think it'd be better if it didn't go into the NPC dialogue interface if "the NPC has no quest information for you."

2. Walking speed - The animations look good.  I think the new walking speed is perfect for, say, a guard on patrol or two friends casually chatting as they walk together.  But in terms of actual transit the walking speed is painfully slow.  If I had time, I would measure how long it takes to walk from Hydlaa to Ojaveda or BD fortress to make a point, but I don't because of finals.  Anyway I think NPC walk speed should be the current speed but player walk speed should be increased.  Maybe not back to its original speed, but some balance between the old and new speed.  Otherwise give players a 3-speed option (casual walk, traveling/hiking walk, run).  If you keep the walking speed as slow as it is it just encourages people to run all the time.

On a side note, will we ever be able to sneak while standing still?  It's fun sneaking around but as soon as you stop moving you go back to the normal standing position.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.