Author Topic: First Post  (Read 1821 times)

snofishbukblade

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
First Post
« on: July 23, 2011, 06:36:04 pm »
Still downloading. Here're some questions...

1) Why do the quests not check players level?

I've read that all of the quests are given to you no matter whether your level is 1 or 50. This seems wrong from all standpoints.

If I look at it from a RP perspective, I would expect the quest giver to have some idea of the difficulty of what's being asked. So if the quest can be accomplished by a level 10 new player and by a level 6 twink then I don't think it's out of place for the quest giver to decline a level 4 by saying something like: "I'm not an accomplished adventurer such as yourself, so maybe my thinking is misplaced, but I have reason to believe you're not able to do this by yourself. Do you still want to talk further about this matter or perhaps come at a later time when you're more capable? 1) I can handle it, lets talk further. 2) I'll come back at a later time then, sir." If the quest can be done by a level 30 new player and by a level 20 twink then something similar should happen for anyone below level 26 about. Bonus points for a quest developer that adds more dimensions to the feedback so that a player has more information to work with. For example, you might receive different a response from level 26 to 28.

If I look at it from a non-RP perspective, I would expect a level range to be shown in the quest window that comes up for ease of use. Most MMOs do it this way and most non-RPs are already quite familiar with how it works. If this was by itself and hte rest of the game was compelling enough, it'd be forgiven. But when you pile on top of this everything else that makes Planeshift distinctive from mainstream MMOs, like conversation-based interfacing, then what you have is a disagreeable mixture for many players.

I like how planeshift is a conversation-based interface because it focuses on an aspect of non-player interfacing that's sadly overlooked by many MMOs out there. There's so much atmosphere and dynamic story telling to be found here. But I think having more 'brains' built-in to the interfacing, whether it's conversation-based or not, is important to the success of the system. I hope I've demonstrated in some small way how giving players more information or feedback is not necessarily a distracting thing or unwanted by RPers.

2) A roleplayer server and a normal server

I understand this, I suppose. Most MMOs I've seen do this. They have their normal servers and then one server in the back of hte list with (RP) in its name and little else to clue you into its secretive nature. It's like RPing is the step child no one knows and if they do they're quick to forget about it. But apart from this, most of us have real lives. If I have to go afk right now, for example, it's a lot harder to say "Hey, my head is spinning again! Not again! I may be out of it for a bit, forgive me." than it's to say "Afk a few min, brb." Lastly, these are roleplaying games. Why further increase the stigma and prejudice that's so commonly offloaded to role-players by clearly delineating between the two? What's so important about distinguishing between them? Can't we all be adults without this?

3) Player-made or purchased apartments/houses for individual use

I hope they're added.  Nuff' said.

Btw, I know there're guild houses, but I'm referring to single-player owned dwellings, especially custom-placed and/or designed.

4) I'm out of words.

I'm out of words. Get back to you later. Look forward to seeing what this game is about. I've had this link in my favorites since jan 2007. I think I'll start on the non-RP server. Not because I don't like to roleplay or anything, but because I think it gives everyone an excuse to exclude and separate themselves from others. It's like cutting a block in two and pretending it hasn't lost any integrity. I'm not taking sides voluntarily. I want us to be a big happy family.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:48:14 pm by snofishbukblade »
If you can know it then you can forget it. - unknown

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: First Post
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 07:04:35 pm »
1) Why do the quests not check players level?
Stupid answer: Because there are no character levels in PlaneShift.
Not so stupid answer but no clue if this already applies to any quests in PS: Quests can already depend on a minimum skill-level, the quest scripts allow this as requirement. But I have no clue if this is already in use for some quests. And even if it is it probably will take a long time to adjust older quests to this also.

2) A roleplayer server and a normal server
It's better if I don't say anything on the so called RP-server...but I can address the "have to go afk" issue (at least how it used to be in the past, can't guarantee it's still like this). For short Out-of-Character messages the RP server always allowed using brackets ("["/"]"). OOC things like the need to go afk, game bugs or crashes were never RPed. It was perfectly fine to use "/say [afk]" in the main chat to notify others you won't be very responsive the next minutes. Also the "private" channels could be used for OOC communication if the other player was fine with it.

3) Player-made or purchased apartments/houses for individual use
I wouldn't count on seeing something like this in the near future. But as far as I know it was never rules out as a long term goal. And it happened a few times that guild houses were given to a group of players sharing the same interest rather than a guild.

Edit: typos...what else?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 07:10:05 pm by Aiwendil »

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 07:30:42 pm »
First of all, welcome and I hope you find the game enjoyable :) I do have a few comments to make on your points.

1) I think you are a bit mistaken at how you progress in this game. You train/learn the stats and skills individually and by your own choosing in such a way that trying to estimate a base level for the whole character is virtually impossible. Thus, it is also difficult to say if a quest is too difficult for you right now or not.
In addition, if it turns out that it is, there is always the possibility to reach out to your fellow gamers and ask/pay for help (at least on the RP server, can't really speak for the other one). It gives the game a more realistic feeling in my opinion, no one can do everything.
Also, with the new quest system in place, you need to have done some rather easy quests first to get to the more difficult as well as some quests require you to have certain skills at a certain level.

2) This game tries to do the opposite of what you portrait here, where the non-RP server are more of the "step child". The RP server is the largest one of the two and most of us welcome new RPers, or even people who don't want to RP as long as they don't make the game less enjoyable for others around them. You are allowed to go afk whenever you need, or express any other non-RP concern. We just ask that you put that "out of character" (OOC) talk in brackets [] if you are talking in the Main chat. And there are plenty of other chat channels where most/all of the talk is OOC.
The reason for making a non-RP server as well is so that you have a choice to be completely free of such rules all the time. That way you can be as OOC as you want, without making the game less enjoyable for those that really wish to immerse themselves into the game world. And no, not everyone can be adults about it. This is the internet, after all.

3) It might come in the future, but right now this game is still developing on so many other important things that personal housing is miles down the list.

4) I hope that you'll also join us at the RP server at some point. As I said, it's more crowded and I also think it will show you that we are not as excluding as you fear :)

Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 07:35:48 pm »
there are some quests, such as the Magic Way quests that do require a certain level of a certain skill to unlock.

The MAIN FOCUS of this game is RP. Once you start playing in the RP server, you'll catch on soon enough about all the idiosyncrasies that go along with it, and you'll also notice that in our little community here, RP is Serious Business

as far as housing, guildhouses are available to purchase through periodic auctions. WARNING they are expensive.

I think that as long as you keep in mind that this game is in development (perhaps even development limbo) and many requested features have not been implemented, you will enjoy it immensely. I know I do.

Welcome!

Edit: Corrected due to Sarva's explanation below.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 03:28:44 pm by Aramara Meibi »
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 02:32:24 am »
The thing with the Level systema and the quests system..
For levels, you have a seperate level for all types of combat, be it axe sword blunt, whatever, all magic is sperate, CW AW whatever, Everything you can ever do is seperate. For a quest to ask for a certain level, would be almost impossible, becuase it would want a certain combat and defense level, most likely, and since all combat and defense is a seperate skill, thr programing to find those things must be at least 10 times as hard to program, as a simple character level system. However there are quests that are based on magic level, but the only reason is becuase it wants s SPECIFIC magic skill, there are crystal quests azure quests ect that only require level in the one skill.
For a quest to ask for 10 sword, and 5 medium armor, would be unfair to sombody who started in leather and axes, and they would have no way to know about it anyway.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 11:57:43 am »
Aramara Currently only guild can bid on and own houses. Note some guilds are secret and thus you don't see the guild tag under the  player name. This might give the impression that an individual has bought a house but in reality they are in a guild just that they have chosen to keep the guild secret.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 01:30:39 pm »
So they make you 'think' its a home :P
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

snofishbukblade

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 03:11:12 pm »
The thing with the Level systema and the quests system..
For levels, you have a seperate level for all types of combat, be it axe sword blunt, whatever, all magic is sperate, CW AW whatever, Everything you can ever do is seperate. For a quest to ask for a certain level, would be almost impossible, becuase it would want a certain combat and defense level, most likely, and since all combat and defense is a seperate skill, thr programing to find those things must be at least 10 times as hard to program, as a simple character level system. However there are quests that are based on magic level, but the only reason is becuase it wants s SPECIFIC magic skill, there are crystal quests azure quests ect that only require level in the one skill.
For a quest to ask for 10 sword, and 5 medium armor, would be unfair to sombody who started in leather and axes, and they would have no way to know about it anyway.

As I said, some built-in intelligence is needed then. Without levels, that task is harder, but not impossible.

For example, in skill-based games, the effectiveness of a player is spread across several skills.

Like this...

Armor skills:
Cloth
Leather
Chain
Plate
Weapon skills:
Axe
Sword
Polearm
Dagger
Mace
Defense:
Avoidance
Tactics
Offense:
Tactics
Critical Strike
Physical:
Athletics (hitpoints, fatigue reduction, etc)
Acrobatics (sneaking, critical hit bonus, etc)
..... and so on.

If one wants to give non-players the ability to 'size-up' a player then they must have an ability to gauge these many varying skills as to their corresponding weights in whatever processes are relevant. For example, if the quest involves slaying a mildly challenging melee-based monster then the quest maker might do something like the following in his/her script:
Code: [Select]
difficulty_modifier_monster = GetDiffMod(pMonster, MELEE_MONSTER)
difficulty_modifier_player = GetDiffMod(pPlayer) // dynamically determines player's strengths

With those two values the scripter can do checks to arrive at some measure of intelligent comparison, like:
Code: [Select]
difference = difficulty_modifier_monster - difficulty_modifier_player
if(difference/difficulty_modifier_monster > 0.134f) // player is more than roughly 13% deficient
    pPlayer.Send("Sorry, I think this is too tough for you at this point, come back later when you're ready.")
else
    pPlayer.Send("You're just what I was looking for. Let me explain...")

This won't be an exact science, but neither is intelligence often an exact science. Giving non-players the appearance of having some ability to sum up a player is actually more realistic than not giving them any at all. While I certainly haven't offered enough pseudo-code to start programming this into a game, I do not think it's nearly as impossible as some say it might be. Yes, it won't be perfect, and yes many quests are non-linear and are very difficult to test in this way because numbers don't work well for a lot of things, but it's better to give a player some feedback than to give them nothing at all.

If I come off as divisive, I'm sorry. I am not coming here to tear everybody apart. I'm trying to make my criticism constructive by offering some ideas how something like this could be applied. And further, I haven't even played this game yet. I downloaded yesterday and will make an account very soon. I really am not angry at anyone, just love to crunch numbers and think about games in general. I program off and on with different things so as you could guess I got these things on my mind sometimes.

And numbers... Too many numbers in games is restrictive. If you give players too many handholds it inevitably leads to a numbers-heavy game where everything is known with decimal point precision. It's like going to an amusement park and having fun, but never realizing the exacting engineering behind every ride and safety that comes built-in. The problem with all of this is that what happens when the player steps off the tracks or goes into the sound room where the microphones are and hte wizard of oz sits comfortably in his chair with his hands on one thousand buttons. These kinds of games are great at giving you a show, but they're expensive and change too slowly for the more creative people out there that want something more than well polished pre-approved entertainment. So sometimes good ol' you're-on-your-own is a nice thing to have. But too much of it can be discouraging for someone new until they're accomadated and ready for it. That's my view.

///////////////////////
EDIT: one alternative is to somehow allow players to rate a quest on tis difficulty and for this rating to be seen by other players who get the quest at a later point in time. i am unsure how all of it would work, but it's possible.

Some ideas...

When you complete the quest, a window pops up that asks you to rate its difficulty and to estimate the amount of time you spent doing it. Given this information, it stores the information, plus your estimated strengths. When the quest comes up again at a later time because someone else is doing it, the script for the quest will look at this rating and the associated player strength(s) to arrive at a fuzzy but helpful assessment that can itself offer the quest receiver some relevant cautionary advice.

All of this can go on behind hte scenes. The non-player can talk naturally, while conveying what's important.

And the more people that do it the more accurate the feedback will be.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 04:39:47 pm by snofishbukblade »
If you can know it then you can forget it. - unknown

Koios

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 09:28:23 am »
I like the feedback idea, though not sure either how to incorporate it smoothly into the quest system as it is.

What you could do, seeing as this goes a bit beyond what could be called newbie help, is make a new thread in the Wish List and perhaps as a feature request in the BugTracker if/once a general working idea is made :)
Going to the Iron Temple makes you as much of a Laanx follower as going to Harnquist makes you a furnace.

* Talad made Laanx's boobs fall off by accident

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 12:59:33 pm »
And numbers... Too many numbers in games is restrictive. If you give players too many handholds it inevitably leads to a numbers-heavy game where everything is known with decimal point precision. It's like going to an amusement park and having fun, but never realizing the exacting engineering behind every ride and safety that comes built-in. The problem with all of this is that what happens when the player steps off the tracks or goes into the sound room where the microphones are and hte wizard of oz sits comfortably in his chair with his hands on one thousand buttons. These kinds of games are great at giving you a show, but they're expensive and change too slowly for the more creative people out there that want something more than well polished pre-approved entertainment. So sometimes good ol' you're-on-your-own is a nice thing to have. But too much of it can be discouraging for someone new until they're accomadated and ready for it. That's my view.

I've got two letters for you: R and P.

Roleplay is a rollercoaster ride, sometimes even jumping out of an airplane without a parachute. It's freeform, spontaneous, player created. Sometimes things are plotted out, sometimes not. Sometimes there's a group working behind the curtain, sometimes there's not. RP is the answer you are looking for. It involves no numbers.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.