Author Topic: Zweitholou's Illustrations  (Read 6782 times)

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
Zweitholou's Illustrations
« on: January 20, 2008, 10:45:12 pm »
Hello. I'm Zweitholou and while I'm relatively new to posting I've read quite a bit in the forums and I have decided to open a thread to showcase some of my Planeshift art.  :)

Here is an attempt at a Lemur. It is based upon the illustration on the main website. I noticed that there have not been many illustrations of lemurs. So I drew this.

I have also posted some illustrations in the Adraax: Klyros City Project thread. Below are two personal favorites.

Sley'dekth
Not much is known about these demonic lurkers who creep about in the murky depths of the swamp. The image is often exaggerated by the local who describes it, owing no doubt to consuming terror.

Korbahd'zhoblae
This noble beast is the prize of any owner. Its useful traits include the eradication of Glest Fargels, undying loyalty, and the defense of property. It makes a keen lookout with three eyes alert for trouble, and can fend off troublemakers well with its 36 inch (about a meter) long horn. The Korbahd'zhoblae stands 10 feet tall and is formidable whether tame or wild. Pups must be raised in captivity to be sold as pets.

Phinehas

Re: Zweitholou's Illustrations
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:49:39 pm »
Very good. The beasts are... disturbing, but good. :P

The Lemur's pretty good, too. I like the clothes. The arm holding the sword seems to be a little... muscular. Lemur's aren't muscular in general. Also, if you diminish the muscles you'll probably need to make the sword smaller, as it would be hard to wield a sword that long for someone who's not strong.

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:51:55 pm »
Thank you.

Here's a new try. Didn't have time to recolor.

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 12:53:07 am »
Good to see some lemur illustrations, finally. Good characterization. He has a kind of "don't soil my suit when I run you through" expression that fits lemurs well.

Phinehas

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 12:55:21 am »
Good to see some lemur illustrations, finally. Good characterization. He has a kind of "don't soil my suit when I run you through" expression that fits lemurs well.
Yes, exactly. We're such snobs.
I like that second one better, Zwitholou. Keep up the good work, especially in relation to Lemurs... there just aren't enough pictures of us, and we're such a fascinating race...

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 02:06:46 am »
Thanks.  :)

Here are two other pictures I'm working on.

A Diaboli

A Nolthrir
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 02:16:11 am by Zweitholou »

Phinehas

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 02:10:24 am »
Could be wrong... pretty sure you got the captions mixed up...

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 09:25:10 pm »
I've been busy lately with the city contest.  :)
Here are two new pics.

My main character, klyros Zweitholou Gutharen.

Another character, lemur Zhaen Khizarri.

:EDIT: Added new pictures.

I was trying to find some aspect of Yliakum's environment that would provide inspiration for building designs. I decided to try not to incorporate cave aspects into the architecture, but instead to incorporate architectural aspects into the natural cave formations.

I originally intended these buildings to be early Lemur dwellings from the time their race spent in the cavern surrounding Yliakum. Perhaps, the lemurs could be as renowned for their ability to "grow" cave formations by directing the mineral rich water that falls from the ceiling above as Dermorians are for their ability to cultivate plants. Possessing such poor immunity to disease would drive lemurs, in my opinion, to search for a method of building sturdy structures without needing great strength. The disease of the legendary city of their ancestors would have been ample reason for them to develop such a technique.

"Bak Tol" ('bok-tohl) (in the Kran tongue)

Occasionally, miners hear the characteristic "Kahgunk, Kahgunk" of the Bak Tol, drilling for food in the ore-and-crystal-rich rock near the mines. It was this sound that gave the Bak Tol it's common name, or the "Kahgunk." An adult Bak Tol is generally 1.75 meters long and 1 meter tall. Its physiological make-up is based upon the element silicon, as in Kran. The "beak," composed of an especially hard variation of quartz, is made up of three dark "jaws" with rough protrusions on the outside to help in drilling. Its tongue, exceedingly long and dextrous, wraps around the the skull. This accomplishes two ends at once, providing more room for a longer tongue to grab hunks of crystal and gems (the Bak Tol's primary food source), as well as to absorb shock and stabilize the head when drilling through stone. The Bak Tol is asexual, and it lays eggs which are similar in appearance to pearls, though generally more colorful and translucent. The back and tail are decorated with growths similar to crystals, while the skin has the appearance of stone.  It possesses an unusually long lifespan, with some specimens living for many hundreds of years. Its movement is slow in general, but the head can move quickly when threatened, and is a formidable weapon against predators.
The young grow slowly, and live in burrows in the stone for protection. The decorative back growths and hard beak are rare to come by and worth much.

"Silmondaeri" (sil-mon-'day-ree)

Little is known about these enormous creatures of the deep. Only a few sightings have been recorded, all of which were in the deepest reaches of Yliakum. Leading scientists hypothesize that these gentle giants may also live in the theoretical cavern containing the Yliakum stalactite. They are blind and are believed to reproduce sexually. Their skin is very pale, and they eat the small animal and plantlife in the depths of the central sea of Yliakum. Perhaps some brave adventurer may someday learn more about these cryptic creatures.

"Priblar" ('prib-lahr)

A cloud of dust rises in the distance. A sound comparable to thunder reaches your ears. Over the horizon a hulking Priblar charges toward you with fire burning in its eyes. It may be too late to evade the death that awaits you: the cold, lost death in Dakkru's realm that awaits those who put their lives in harm's way.
A Priblar encounter is no trifling matter. Many valiant heroes have met their unfortunate ends to Priblar. However, Priblar generally do not seek out sentient beings and attack. They only attack when they feel threatened or when they must do so for survival. Priblar are herbivores, grazing for long hours in order to support their large body mass. They are typically 4 m tall and 12 m long when fully grown. Their social patterns are based on gender, with females grazing in herds while the males tend to roam alone. Only during mating season do they meet, males fighting for females and leaving as soon as they have furthered their genetic line. The fathers do not help raise the child in any way. Females do not have the same tusks as males, relying instead on safety in numbers to protect their young which they raise for approximately 10 years before leaving the offspring to fend for his or herself.  Soft on newborns and hardening with age, the large plates covering the body, composed of keratin, act as natural armor. The front feet have single hooves, while the hind feet have cloven hooves.The upright plates along the spine help regulate body temperature, while the head fin, which also helps regulate body temperature, is used in mating displays and for identification. The long, scaled tail has the club at one end (a modified vertebrae) as well as spines (also modified vertebrae) used for defense. The scales are used as armor, while the head fin has significant medical properties.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 02:08:39 am by Zweitholou »

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 02:14:04 am »
Sorry for the double post.  :-\
I'm experimenting with a distinctly different style of presentation, so thought it would be appropriate to separate the new from the old.

What with the recent release of the female Nolthrir skin in game, I thought it would be appropriate to start with my Nolthrir sketch.

The highlights are a little rough and the face gave me fits.  X-/ I still don't like the expression...

What do you think?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 02:29:47 am »
Looks pretty good. Something I have learned about lighting in drawings is that working in 3D programs helps you get a better sense of it. Practice lighting in 3D and you will take more note of it in real life and 2D. It's not easy but it will be easier if you do it that way since the computer handles it in 3D.  :D

Beniel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 02:32:48 am »
i can see what you mean about the face perhaps needing some work, but otherwise i really like how the drawing has shaped up. :)

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 02:45:56 am »
Personally I love it ;o)

It has a very unique stylisation which really appeals to me, did you do it in chalk or on a PC? Certainly looks like it is chalk (maybe paint?) I'd love to see some more posted.

(About the face, I like it, seems rather placid and slightly aloof)
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 09:57:47 am »
I like the hair movement. Good job. You should probably work on the proportions though. The arms are huge compared to his legs (almost as long), which would be ok if he were drawn looking down from a higher angle. Still, it's a pretty nice sketch. Keep them coming!

Anumesa

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 02:44:49 pm »
I LOVE your drawings! Especially all the different creatures, they are so creative!!

Keep up the great work  :thumbup:

Zweitholou

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Art Department Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 01:44:37 am »
Illysia: Thanks! I'll try it out. It's my first highlighting with the computer, so I've got plenty of practice ahead of me. :)

Beniel: Thank you! I think it may be that the eyelids don't blend into the face well.

Pizik: Thank you! I'm glad the style suits you. I sketched it on paper then colored in photoshop. I see what you mean about the chalk though. (I think placid's a very appropriate descriptor. I see it as a bit bracing yet still fluid.)

Dajoji: Thanks! I amplified the watery movement effect of the hair with liquify, which appears to have lived up to its name. The proportions are off, and unfortunately it's a little late to change them, but I'll heed your advice on my next character sketch. :)

Anumesa: I'm thrilled that you do! I'll get to work on some more creatures.  >o)

Here's a watercolor of a Klyros.

Also, after reading through the guide to Yliakum's creatures in Jayose's I was inspired to illustrate it according to my interpretation of the information, starting with the A's.

More pictures on the way. :)