Author Topic: Character Portrait Requests  (Read 6006 times)

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Character Portrait Requests
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2015, 10:02:31 am »
the inside of my head isn't THAT scary!

LOL, you know I kid you.

Anyway, it's interesting to know that I use those very same two apps for 99% of my hand drawn art. I can't make myself pay for a full version of Painter even though I'd love to have it. I use Photoshop mostly too just because I know it best. What I really like about painter is the watercolor brush effects that I haven't found a way to do in Photoshop. Artrage is really nice too but I hate that it's limited to screen resolution making it not ideal for my commercial work.

A lot of people like to use canned brush effects and textures and other automatic stuff in their Photoshop work, but I prefer to have everything made by my own hand so I mostly stay away from all the filters or things I feel I could not do on an actual canvas other than a little color shifting. I don't hold anything against people who do use all that's available, but personally, I like to know that my art is all made by me, not some fire or leaf or lightning etc., automatic texture effects.

All your art that I've seen appears to be totally you too, something I obviously like.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2015, 05:08:46 pm »
The tablet I got and the software I use are basically the latest and greatest out of what I can afford and what my obsolete MacBook can run. I have a philosophy that tools are tools, and an expensive tool does not a good artist make (it only makes expensive art). A good artist makes the most out of what they've got.

I also am keeping in mind the nature of my project, a narrative told through sequential art. The limits of that medium dictate that I quickly and consistently churn out images of a congruent style, so that is what I'm working towards here. Still learning, still fine tuning the things I've learned. I also don't know how well "quickly" is going to factor into the equation, personally. Oh if only I were the type of person who could focus on one thing at a time.

The layering effects and the burn/dodge tools are what Ive been using photoshop for. Basically, I sketch out the character in painter, fill in basic colors, then bring the image into photoshop, do a gradient layer set on overlay to put down basic lighting, bring it back into painter, do the bulk of the work there, add in the background, back to photoshop to do highlights/shadows with the burn/dodge tool, adjust color balance and contrast with the levels tool which helps just tie the whole thing together, then BACK to painter to go over it all and retain the painterly feel. Phew! But yeah, that's the process I've settled on, because it works for me! :)
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2015, 05:27:33 pm »
I think my favorite part of the painter software is the color mixing palette, but mixing my own color is my favorite part of painting :)

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2015, 10:48:48 am »
I'll share one favorite method I like to use for helping to quickly set a mood. First block in most of the basic coloring and some shading as you normally do. Then, make a new top layer and fill it with a color you think will work well. Set the layer to multiply (usually), and set the layer opacity to reveal as much of the underneath art as you like. Next, use the eraser tool with different brushes, sizes and opacity settings to erase away where you want the underlying art to show through more such as in highlighted areas and any other areas you want to emphasize or draw attention to. You can always go back and experiment with the overall layer opacity and shift it to alternate colors choices to see how it might look.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2015, 03:26:56 pm »
that's basically how i made the glowey crystals for Derorund, except i think i used soft light not multiply

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2015, 03:36:28 pm »
an sneak peak of the graphic novel project  8)

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2015, 06:57:28 pm »
Demagul can not save the dying bird.

sad elf is sad.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:00:21 pm by Aramara Meibi »

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2015, 07:12:23 pm »
ok, looks like i skipped number 11, so roled is next unless someone can prove me otherwise.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2015, 10:14:49 pm »
Perfect Demagul, Ara.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2015, 12:19:26 am »
Another terrific portrait sad elf--- too bad he doesn't have big eyes... :o

Roled roasts the dead bird in a pie... no need to waste the gifts of Xiosia...  ::|

RR is next!! WHoo hooo!!! me polishes his tats
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2015, 11:22:42 am »
i really like the outfit you designed for him mari, hope i did it justice.

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2015, 06:21:00 pm »
 :love: OMG THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!!  :love: Sorry about the delayed response, I was busy irl and couldn't access these forums. The expressiveness of this portrait, and all the others, is incredible! Great job, and thanks so much! You captured Demagul PERFECTLY ;D  :flowers:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 06:41:17 pm by Demagul Riwe »

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2015, 09:26:56 am »
i'm really happy you like it :) you gave me a lot of material to work with, and I wanted to work more with facial expression and thought this would be the perfect opportunity. thank you and everyone else for letting me take a stab at their character.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2015, 12:11:38 pm »
Icerra ghost-steals the number 11 spot.

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2015, 09:18:28 pm »
Roled brings a pie to the party.