Author Topic: Fight for Freedom!!  (Read 1643 times)

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
Re: Fight for Freedom!!
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 03:15:14 pm »
I like the idea and also I don't. If something like does get allowed I think a lot of people will start killing the guards

Wouldn't want that to happen. Imagine, a world where criminals would kill guards, it just wouldn't register on the sanity scale.

Except that does happen, but the reason that doesnt happen all the time is because usually there are far more cops than criminals (at least ones brave enough to kill one) and the second they find out who the criminal was, they'd have a huge squadron of guards sent to overpower and kill the criminal. only when the amount of powerful criminals overpowers teh amount of guards do you get one of those movie scenarios where a town is pretty much one giant riot.
And that right there, is another GOOD result for the fight to freedom, not only does it Add realism, but death is just another escape.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 03:45:17 pm »
Ok, I'll reply in here since I think Stashka and Teshia being in jail is what spawned this last bit of jail-notoriety.  And I have a few different points to make.

*If you play a criminal/villain/person with a momentary lapse in judgment, be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions.  If you break a law, there is a punishment for it.  Be willing to RP the results.  We get to have a lot of fun flaunting the laws ans breaking them.  We just have to be willing to pay the price for that if we get caught. 

*The current Guards are quite reasonable.  They don't just freeze and toss people into jail with no provocation or warning.  Since I've been playing, I cannot think of a single person who has been jailed for a crime other than a violent attack or murder on someone else.  There may have been some robbery in there, but it is slipping my mind if there was.  The first time I was sent to jail, I was actually trying to get in.  I physically assaulted someone in the plaza, and after the guard came, I had to keep assaulting him.  The Guard repeatedly warned me to stop, not wanting to send me to jail, and finally went to a count down.  At which point I waited til the last second and smacked the guy again just to be sure we both got into jail. This second time in jail was almost a comedy of errors, in that I was jailed for a crime I actually did not commit, but had managed to incriminate myself for.  BUT I was given the chance to RP my way out of it.  Evidence was gathered and as soon as enough was brought forth, i was released.  Just like a real situation.  Again, the Guards were reasonable [and just really cool XD ] about it.   

*I would love to see carefully orchestrated jailbreak RPs able to be played.  I understand the constraints with not having enough GMs to be able to animate the characters, but if there were enough GMs, I would love to see this.  Trogdar, Travosh, Stashka, Sarras, Karenina, Pontifer and I, and probably other names I cannot recall were in the process of organizing a huge mish-mash jail break to get Stashka out, but once I was in jail again too, we thought of many ways to try and legitimately work this out.  It would be awesome to have GMs playing some of the city characters, like Amidison, or Bevon, or Taulim... to allow the players to try and steal the keys, or cause trouble in another area of town to draw the guards away.  If they had mages to be able to spell some of the characters, like Bevon who probably is not a master of any of the intelligent arts... or to be able to attack the integrity of the building.  Perhaps allow them to pay Zak to steal the keys?  Things that would require a a lot of GM involvement, but that would still require the planning and orchestrating by the players.  I know that right now this isn't feasible, but as a wish? Oh yeah.         

[Personally.. I think Troggy running about asking for the keys to get his pants was gold. XD ]
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 03:51:38 pm »
for players who are good RP'ers we already have  players arresting players and brining them to jail. I can think of lots of cases where the bad guy criminal  has been brought into jail by other players. Of course this depends on the person running the bad guy being willing to RP the consequences   of their actions. The only reason to need game mechanic options for players to arrest other players is because the bad guy  isn't willing to RP the situation.

except, that's a form of citizen's arrest and isn't recognized by law. it's actually illegal in yliakum. holding a person against his or her will is a high crime iirc. and of course a criminal character, even of the best roleplayer, is going to be unwilling to go to jail (i've seen it). right now a criminal can get away with just about anything because there's nothing to actually stop him. so other players need mechanics to do that.

3) Even if the player beats a single guard and runs away where will the criminal run to? Remember there are guards on all the gates  that lead into or out of the city. If we are being IC then the guards at the gates, when they get notice of a problem, would shut the gates and control who gets in or out of the city. There are also other guards around the city that would be able to  capture the criminal. Remember you can't just treat NPC guards as statues what can't do anything. NPC guards  have to be treated no different from GM guards if you are going to be playing properly.

remember that this is not modern day. guards don't have phones and walky talkies and computers. a criminal could potentially be seen by a guard committing a crime on one side of the city, then walk out the opposite gate as if nothing happened. the guards posted at the gate would have no way of knowing unless they got a message from a groffelthing, which may take too long.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 04:16:49 pm »
There can be several ways to quickly alert the gate guards to shut down the gates and detail people trying to leave the city. For example there could be alert bells that are run by guards to put all the city guards on notice. True getting details to the guard might take some time but sending a signal to close the gates can be done very quickly.

I would think that killing a guard would rate a stiffer than normal penalty, I could even see it being a perma death crime.

Who says that players can only arrest and bring in a criminal in pre-planned RP's? Most of the situations I have seen it done are not part of pre-planned RPs

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 04:26:15 pm »
It would be awesome to have GMs playing some of the city characters, like Amidison, or Bevon, or Taulim... to allow the players to try and steal the keys, or cause trouble in another area of town to draw the guards away.  If they had mages to be able to spell some of the characters, like Bevon who probably is not a master of any of the intelligent arts... or to be able to attack the integrity of the building.  Perhaps allow them to pay Zak to steal the keys?  Things that would require a a lot of GM involvement, but that would still require the planning and orchestrating by the players.  I know that right now this isn't feasible, but as a wish? Oh yeah.         

Hey now, dont be taking credit for my ideas. =P

DarkShadowSly

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 04:31:32 pm »
300 STATS would be good =))))))

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 06:33:18 pm »
Hey now, dont be taking credit for my ideas. =P

I wouldn't dream of it! I just wanna plot along with you. XD
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 11:31:16 pm »
There can be several ways to quickly alert the gate guards to shut down the gates and detail people trying to leave the city. For example there could be alert bells that are run by guards to put all the city guards on notice. True getting details to the guard might take some time but sending a signal to close the gates can be done very quickly.

I would think that killing a guard would rate a stiffer than normal penalty, I could even see it being a perma death crime.

Who says that players can only arrest and bring in a criminal in pre-planned RP's? Most of the situations I have seen it done are not part of pre-planned RPs

hydlaa doesn't have bells afaik.

i agree on the penalty. but permadeath is for criminals who have really actually murdered permanently, not just sent someone to the DR... idk. i remember reading a discussion on this.

i didn't say anything about pre-planned roleplays. i said it's against the law for a plain citizen to hold another citizen against his/her will.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 08:40:32 am »
There is certainly a level of technology that would allow for the development of bells.

Slavery is a permadeath crime so no reason why killing of a guard couldn't be one as well.

I was responding to multi posts  Sarras not just your post previously.

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 09:07:46 am »
Mishka knocked out Fesorro. He was unconscious, laying on the Secret Garden, with Mishka's lower paw over his chest, till guard Dulkhad arrived. Is it illegal?

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Ingles

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 09:21:30 am »
i said it's against the law for a plain citizen to hold another citizen against his/her will.

This I believe is the Low Law you are referring too.
"XXIII. Members of Yliakum's intelligent races shall not be enslaved. Every citizen of Yliakum has equal rights under the laws of the Octarchy. Upon pain of true death, no Citizen of Yliakum shall enslave another; nor shall slaves be kept from among any sentient or semi-sentient creatures within the lands of the Octarchy."
enslave means to put into slavery. Arrest is nothing of the sort.

Also little used is this law.
Privileges of the People
"X. As a matter of the preservation of honor, and so that citizens might police their own disputes in most cases, the duel shall be permitted and the duelists shall take their own lives in their hands. No duel is to occur in the towns of Yliakum except within an area designated for such combat. If no such area is dedicated in a given town or city, duelists shall be required to leave the town or city to fight in the wilderness."

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 09:24:18 am »
Kinda anarchist thread but I like the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADPtfZuOyR4&feature=related

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 04:06:02 pm »
If a guard abuses their power by jailing a criminal and making them do work, then wouldn't the victim of the situation be a slave to the guard? If guards started making criminals work then that would be a bit humorous, because it sets up the guards as lawful evil. Sorry...go on...I was just thinking to myself out loud.

-sig by sarras

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 05:33:23 pm »

"XXIII. Members of Yliakum's intelligent races shall not be enslaved. Every citizen of Yliakum has equal rights under the laws of the Octarchy.
I think this shows that killing a guard isnt punishable by perma-death, and as sarva said, its no big deal sending a guard To DR its only a deal if tis perma death.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 06:18:23 pm »
Not necessarily true Earowo.  In the United States all people are suppose to have equal rights under the law but there are several states where the murder of a police officer in the line of duty qualifies as a special circumstances case which can earn you the death penalty.

Another issue I though of is that when a GM character is attackable it isn't like a duel where you can't be killed unless the other character intentionally decides to kill you. Fighting an attackable GM character is just like  attacking any other NPC. This could be a way for a criminal to escape or attempt to avoid jail. Attack the guard, get killed and escape to the DR.