Author Topic: Fight for Freedom!!  (Read 1645 times)

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
Fight for Freedom!!
« on: October 09, 2010, 08:15:27 pm »
After hearing a lot about jail and Guards. I've decided to make a wish of it, As citezens of Yliakum we have the right to fight back, against the Guards of Hydlaa. For Years, various criminals [who are a valued part of the community, and keep my guild in business.] have gotten frozen and then teleported to Jail. NO LONGER! should this be tolerated, I dont care how many gm's try to say it, but i think the freazing, and then teleportation is godmodding. And i believe The people should be able to fight for their freedom. with guards that have reasonable Skills, mabey 300 in stats, and at most, maxed skills [on player side, meaning 100 sword 150 axe ect] if they lose the fight, the the criminal can run free out of town.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

bloodedIrishman

Re: Fight for Freedom!!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 08:46:11 pm »
Considering the low number of Game Masters available to patrol and arrest on a relatively consistent basis, I think their guard's unreal power acts as a means of compensation. When GM numbers increase, or NPC Guards are able to react to drawn weapons and fighting, then their levels should and probably would be lowered to reasonable amounts.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:47:47 pm by bloodedIrishman »

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 08:59:32 pm »
...they could always allow players to volunteer doing guards' work. then freezing wouldn't be necessary (or possible). give that character the ability to attack unhindered. if the player abuses his/her role, there could be severe consequences, ic or ooc depending on the situation.

PLEASE CONSIDER THIS IDEA! PLEASE PLEASE PLEEEEASE!

* Sarras Volcae begs on her knees  :'(

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:15:39 pm »
The Development Team has considered and tried handing players some form of in-game responsibility, but that ended up failing. Whether or not we receive actual influence in the game world, albeit a small role such as militia, depends on the maturity level of the current player base. In my observation the player base is not quite there yet.

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 09:35:41 pm »
i'm not talking about the whole playerbase. i mean a few mature roleplayers who would never be suspected of griefing.

when did the dev team experiment with this? i don't remember hearing about it.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 09:41:35 pm »
The Development Team has considered and tried handing players some form of in-game responsibility, but that ended up failing. Whether or not we receive actual influence in the game world, albeit a small role such as militia, depends on the maturity level of the current player base. In my observation the player base is not quite there yet.

Exactly. It would be a great idea for experienced players to have guard alts, but the matter of the fact is that players that don't have a serious attitude towards roleplay might become guards and that could cause problems. Though the current state of guard ability is indeed a problem, because I also see freezing and teleporting as a way of godmodding. GM does not stand for a "God-Modder".

I'm glad to see the player base get riled up about how the mechanics don't make sense in accordance to roleplay. Try and make suggestions to the team and see if things get changed. Oh, I forgot, it's up to them. It has been said before that PS is not a democracy, and that it is just a bunch of guys (girls too) around the world that have been working on this game for a long time during what free time they get, and this is still going on today. The player base they get for their alpha game are just a bunch of children on a field trip to a science lab, so they won't really listen to what you have to say until you sign up and join the scientists.

-sig by sarras

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 10:57:58 pm »
I like the idea and also I don't. If something like does get allowed I think a lot of people will start killing the guards

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 02:57:32 am »
It is a form of godmodding, surely, and that's because it's a rather simple mechanism put in place before real and complex features are there. It tries to compensate the lawlessness abuses and, as could be expected, overcompensates. So, to me, it's not about mechanics that don't make sense towards roleplay, it's just roleplaying in an unfinished game. In short, it can't be fair until it's done.

For criminals to be able to play and have fun while in jail, that requires a proper jail map, which is not a short term task.

For players involvement however, a feature that could be added before the proper implementation of law enforcement, and still could integrate with it, is to flag criminals automatically on a guards' signal, like a Mark of Infamy spell, and to put them constantly hittable by anyone, until they get killed, or maybe even longer: until they get jailed. Then anybody could raise a posse...

That would be better if ways of capturing people were available, like spells or special weapons. Or give a Jail Teleportation Rod to players through quests and factions points, a rod that works only on players that wear this mark of infamy. The rods could also be limited to work inside city limits; a different rod per city.
With more features added, you could then have players arresting players in cities, for duty, and bounty hunters chasing them outside, for material rewards.

Ingles

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 04:04:03 am »
 Running arena was one player test of running things.

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 09:26:56 am »
for players who are good RP'ers we already have  players arresting players and brining them to jail. I can think of lots of cases where the bad guy criminal  has been brought into jail by other players. Of course this depends on the person running the bad guy being willing to RP the consequences   of their actions. The only reason to need game mechanic options for players to arrest other players is because the bad guy  isn't willing to RP the situation.

As for the subject of players being able to fight the guards a couple of things ot think about.

1) A lot of players would love to duel a GM. I would see a lot of players causing problems just so they would get the chance to duel a GM in the city. Maybe if we have several GMs online all the time this might be OK but since we currently are lucky to have two GMs online most of the time the GMs really have better use of their time than getting into duel after duel with players who have committed some just so they can duel a GM.

2) Just like modern day cops, if the guards think there is going to be trouble they are going to respond in force to a situation. This means brining in two or three guards at a time. Do you really think the other guards are going to stand around and watch their partner get into a fight with a criminal? That isn't a reasonable expectation. At the very least the other guards would be casting spells on the criminal to reduce his ability to fight such as dazzling lights, darkness, incredible weight or magic sleep.

3) Even if the player beats a single guard and runs away where will the criminal run to? Remember there are guards on all the gates  that lead into or out of the city. If we are being IC then the guards at the gates, when they get notice of a problem, would shut the gates and control who gets in or out of the city. There are also other guards around the city that would be able to  capture the criminal. Remember you can't just treat NPC guards as statues what can't do anything. NPC guards  have to be treated no different from GM guards if you are going to be playing properly.

Maisent

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 01:08:46 pm »
I agree the guards have too much power.
I also understand that there are not many of them around all the time to be a guard
so lets go to Sarras's idea and get a couple of good Rpers to be guards, this may also increase jobs in hydlaa (cooking hunting blacksmith is getting old.) So you can get a few trias for being a guard for a while.
The guards shouldn't just be able to freeze them then teleport, tht is godmodding because even guards have limits to their training and their magic.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 02:00:51 pm »
1) A lot of players would love to duel a GM. I would see a lot of players causing problems just so they would get the chance to duel a GM in the city. Maybe if we have several GMs online all the time this might be OK but since we currently are lucky to have two GMs online most of the time the GMs really have better use of their time than getting into duel after duel with players who have committed some just so they can duel a GM.
Again, this is where the idea of 'Mature' players, being guards, would come in, My guild personally would love this, since we do hunt criminals.
2) Just like modern day cops, if the guards think there is going to be trouble they are going to respond in force to a situation. This means brining in two or three guards at a time. Do you really think the other guards are going to stand around and watch their partner get into a fight with a criminal? That isn't a reasonable expectation. At the very least the other guards would be casting spells on the criminal to reduce his ability to fight such as dazzling lights, darkness, incredible weight or magic sleep.
Again, that doesnt mean you cant fight back, Good duelers would be able to handly more then one guard at a time, welll prepared ones would bring a few potions, not astack [would be unrealistic to have a stack]
3) Even if the player beats a single guard and runs away where will the criminal run to? Remember there are guards on all the gates  that lead into or out of the city. If we are being IC then the guards at the gates, when they get notice of a problem, would shut the gates and control who gets in or out of the city. There are also other guards around the city that would be able to  capture the criminal. Remember you can't just treat NPC guards as statues what can't do anything. NPC guards  have to be treated no diffrent from GM guards if you are going to be playing properly.
You should also remember, that Hydlaa IC'ly is alot bigger then it looks IG, [or so i have heard] There are many allyways' behing houses, also the laanx dungion is usually unguarded, same with the arena, and if a person has a mount, they might jumpon over the walls.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Jekkar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 02:22:20 pm »
I like the idea and also I don't. If something like does get allowed I think a lot of people will start killing the guards

Wouldn't want that to happen. Imagine, a world where criminals would kill guards, it just wouldn't register on the sanity scale.
"A new day will come when those who rudely interrupt are swept away!" -Lereal

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 02:34:17 pm »
The only reason to need game mechanic options for players to arrest other players is because the bad guy  isn't willing to RP the situation.
That statement may just show that you think RP is the way you handle things.
There is not such thing as a "good RPer". Pre-agreeing everything is not the only way to RP. It's not even the best way, if you ask me. This is why mechanics that can make all OOC chit-chat unnecessary are a good thing; while you still keep the option of doing it your way.

Phantomboy86

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Sarva used to own the deed to my soul.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 02:50:16 pm »

Wouldn't want that to happen. Imagine, a world where criminals would kill guards, it just wouldn't register on the sanity scale.

Except that does happen, but the reason that doesnt happen all the time is because usually there are far more cops than criminals (at least ones brave enough to kill one) and the second they find out who the criminal was, they'd have a huge squadron of guards sent to overpower and kill the criminal. only when the amount of powerful criminals overpowers teh amount of guards do you get one of those movie scenarios where a town is pretty much one giant riot.