Author Topic: NPC voiceovers!  (Read 21155 times)

bangladeath

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: NPC voiceovers!
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 01:08:56 pm »
Are there any scripts some where? There are a lot of things non player characters say only once when it comes to quests, and I'm sure you do not want to be patching voice recordings from different people together.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:11:24 pm by bangladeath »
“Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour, and it can never be used to hurt you.â€
― George R.R. Martin

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 01:56:10 pm »
@ bangladeath:

We are just starting with responses to "Hello" and "Bye". Maybe with automatic passing-by shouts too.
___

From Talad's page:

Some NPCs have multiple Hi and goodbye answers, in that case, please record each one separately ...

Not that easy, as their responses are picked randomly. You can tell them "Hello" 20 times in a row and not be certain that you heard all possible responses. And which of them is #1?

BTW: Rabartus Livrandar does not understand "Bye" and replies with typical "not understood" answers (e.g. "Get your words straight, will you? You're speaking gibberish.").

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 03:17:38 pm »
We may at some later time hold auditions for some npcs to be done completely. When an npc's quests are completed by one voice artist we'll try to get their hi bye and all automated responses recorded also in that voice.

We're early into this so as with all things planeshift, it will take time.

SovHed

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • ADHosting, Hosting PsMirror.org
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 04:37:54 pm »
Hi, Sov here just checking in!

I noticed this news on the frontpage and was rather worried....

Heres how I see it: Currently lots of people play without sound, either due to lack of hardware, poor computers or simply: Planeshift sound is buggy to start with. On high end systems it crackles terribly (new drivers) and is barely usable there.

My second worry is... partly from a host's POV and from a client POV. All this does is add the same content we already have, but in audio, This means that the filesize will increase massively with the V/Os and I honestly don't see much lasting benefit (Inital joy at having voice in game aside)

This seems to me like a space filling waste, sure it would be cool but its a lot of work and hassle for something ultimately... unimportant.

Though its not my place to say, wouldn't it be a better idea to iron out bugs and expand the gameworld/make it more playable as a game rather than add bloating sound content?
Sov Hed, Leader of the Thieves of Yliakum
Owner of ADHosting(www.ad-sl.com), sponsor of psmirror.org (www.psmirror.org)

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 09:30:24 pm »
The game isn't developed in one direction. Advances made in one front never limit fixes. We've expressed this a million different ways over and over again, the people who fix bugs are often not the same people who work on features or art or settings. We'll do our best.  

Given the clamour for opening up more of the game content and the claims that this would greatly speed up development, I am a bit puzzled that bugs which exist in the code (which is open to all) aren't being leapt upon and fixed by the community at large. Wouldn't it be best for PS if the community focuses on helping us with these since they are a) ALREADY in open content b) the bugs most likely to be show-stoppers and c) the bugs most likely to be stomped out via a large pool of testing data from players?

We aren't moving in a single direction. We are all volunteers. Sure we have development goals and we move toward releasing in a meaningful way, but this critique is singularly unwarranted. The testing team, dev teams, and community have shut down ~200 bugs, and more and more each week.

I wouldn't consider voicing to be bloat, I'd consider it a needed step in the right direction.

All the source code is available, fix it, or have the patience needed for us to do so.

I love the whole community, even the problem people, but sheesh, lay off with the "omgz fix the bugs and do nothing else" thing. It's discouraging for the team members who aren't involved in bug-fixing and frustratng for those who are.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:19:01 pm by Oomi »

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 11:02:24 pm »
Eh, the coding for the voicing is probably already dealt with, there probably isn't too much that is needed to do to get voices into the game so the bug fixes probably wouldn't slow down even if it wasn't as Xillix has said.  Either way, I think it's a step in the right direction but, not everybody will agree with me, as is true no matter what you implement/fix next :P

Great job, Dev Team.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Oomi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 11:26:48 pm »
Thank you, Waylander. Since I am most decidedly NOT a bug-fixin' guru, I can either help out with voicing/menus/quest edits and grow the game or sit around twiddling my thumbs. I choose to be proactive; an anti-twiddler, if you will.

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 04:44:25 am »
And as someone who does look at bugs, I can say that I was impressed by the short time it took to have this implemented in code, the lack of introduced bugs, and the fun it is to hear NPCs speak. To answer some of the other questions:
- of course if you do not want to hear them speak, you can switch it off. The chat will show up as it always did (also if you chose to hear the speech).
- the sound is not included in the install. It is streamed to the client when needed (and cached there).
- since the voices are stored server side, they can just be added when they are available (i.e. someone found the time to do some fun thing as recording). There is no holding back a release, or occupying devs because of a dead-line.
And because it is my place to say: if you think bugs need ironing out, than please help us with the remaining big ones that we have trouble figuring out. See here and there :).

Gavvie Strand

• Traveller
  • Currant Char: Trofim Kovalevsky
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2009, 01:50:07 pm »
This sounds like a cool idea. But I guess it could go either way.

I'd contribute if my voice more matured. :(
CURRANT CHAR: TROFIM KOVALEVSKY

RalphMW

• Traveller
  • ingame name: Golib Bahas
    • View Profile
    • Müller-Welt.net
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 06:51:15 pm »
I guess it would be a good idea to organize some stuff.
Are there any pages?
Wich Races / NPCs talk wich accent?
Need female voices?

Where to organize? Wiki? Forum?

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2009, 02:22:41 am »
I guess it would be a good idea to organize some stuff.
Are there any pages?
Wich Races / NPCs talk wich accent?
Need female voices?

Where to organize? Wiki? Forum?

It is being organised, just follow the instructions on the howto page, all accents and both sexes are welcome just match your sex to the npc and click record :)
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

Grigori

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2009, 09:44:10 pm »
It is being organised, just follow the instructions on the howto page, all accents and both sexes are welcome just match your sex to the npc and click record :)

Once again:

_WHAT RL ACCENTS ARE NEEDED FOR WHAT RACE OF NPC?_

Nothing about it is written on linked pages just yet.

Mordraugion

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Ex Dev and GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2009, 03:31:37 am »
Once again:
_WHAT RL ACCENTS ARE NEEDED FOR WHAT RACE OF NPC?_
Nothing about it is written on linked pages just yet.

Once again its not been decided:

Just forget about which accent for which race and send in your voices :)
No longer a member of the PlanShift Development Team
Hokinon or Hoki on IRC

PS is not a democracy, nor will it ever be -- Karyuu 2006
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=21049.msg230947#msg230947

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 03:59:38 am »
Will take a little while, I hope deadline won't be too soon...

There are some with a good voice, and some with a good mic, and some with good english -- just the combo is hard to find.

And IMHO 96 kHz in 32-bit float format is something hardly any soundcard can record anyway. Just placebo resolution, software interpolated.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

SovHed

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • ADHosting, Hosting PsMirror.org
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2009, 02:39:20 pm »
Lanarel: streamed to the client.... o.O Ummm from a seperate server?

Xillix: I'm not picking holes/complaining/trying to crush your soul/etc. I also appreciate all the work that everyone puts into Planeshift. I'm sorry you took my comments offensively.
Sov Hed, Leader of the Thieves of Yliakum
Owner of ADHosting(www.ad-sl.com), sponsor of psmirror.org (www.psmirror.org)