Author Topic: How to run a new player off.  (Read 3272 times)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How to run a new player off.
« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2013, 06:34:27 pm »
How are we supposed to trust that your scale is accurate when you're so far on the "Liar" side?

But if your scale isn't accurate, then maybe you're telling the truth.  But that would mean you're a liar...

I'm gunna need a bit to think about this   ???
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:31 pm »
Welcome to the scale, LigH.

Young                                                                                   > Old
Liar                                                                            > Truth-teller
Ebonwumon | Volki | Mariana | Illysia | Tessra | LigH | Rigwyn | cdmoreland

(It's also had a fabulous update.)

You forgot like, one of the most famous old dudes ever! Tut tut tut!

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:48:09 pm by Mariana Xiechai »

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2013, 10:58:14 pm »
Young                                                                                   > Old
Liar                                                                            > Truth-teller
Ebonwumon | Volki | Mariana | Illysia | Tessra | LigH | Rigwyn | cdmoreland

But yes, to clarify that, Volki... let me tell you a little story.  There was once a bakery.  And in this bakery, the bakers made hundreds of different kinds of bread.  Sweet breads, sourdough breads, rye breads, wheat breads.  And they even made plain, white bread.  But one day, a customer came in, and complained about the white bread.  He didn't like it.  It tasted too bland, it wasn't pretty enough.  He just found it revolting, for his own personal reasons.  And so, he began to demand that the bakers never again make white bread.  He picketed outside the bakery, and harassed any other customers that went in to buy white bread.  He yelled at them because he didn't like it, and didn't think they should either.  He said that no white bread should ever be allowed in that bakery because it was offensive.  That white bread was an infringement on his rights as a carbohydrate consuming customer! 

Sounds pretty dumb doesn't it? 

You don't have to like it.  You don't have to do it.  But common decency is to allow other people the same rights you expect to exercise yourself.    Whether it be eating white bread, or RPing your own favorite kind of RPs.  So in my opinion, it is complete crap to try and tell someone they shouldn't RP something they like, because I may not like it.  I hate tavern RP.  I've said it many times.  But it isn't right or fair for me to try and say that no one should do it because it's boring.  If it's fun for you, more power to you. 

Live and let live.  RP and let RP.  There is a difference in being courteous and respectful, and being a filthy hippie sitting around a campfire, singing kumbaya and expecting everyone to get along all the time. 

Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Moja Aere

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • TheOne Guild Info
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2013, 11:33:21 pm »
Just a small, useless note: ok, I admit that I haven't read every-everything, but right now I have this image squatting my mind: a cage containing a character with the word 'noob' flashing on his/her/kra's head and many other characters outside, with, instead, the word 'Proper Character' flashing on their heads, pointing and looking at the caged char, whispering, jumping and wandering all around the cage.
I don't know if what is said in the first post can really run a new player off but while figuring it out maybe it'd be nice to read what some real new player think about the whole thread.
Of course, if a 8-page thread about what should/shouldn't run them off won't however run them off :P
(No offence to anyone: my opinion is that discussions are always - or, at least, often - great; I just think - and I might be wrong! - that, from time to time, it could be useful not only explain, guess and suggest but also simply ask :) )

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2013, 11:47:37 pm »
I was kidding about the Noob tag.

Moja Aere

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • TheOne Guild Info
« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2013, 11:55:49 pm »
Sure :) . And I really didn't mean to criticize nor you nor anyone else! And, again, I don't think I'm saying anything really significant. Just wanted to say that it was strange, to me, to read pages and pages of explanations and no questions to 'thread's stars'! :)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2013, 01:51:38 am »
:o What? I am only a little more honest than Tessra? ... And less honest than Rigwyn? ... No, this is the proof that there is no direct relation between age and intentions.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2013, 03:15:38 am »
Relativity could screw with this further.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2013, 04:04:45 am »
Just a small, useless note: ok, I admit that I haven't read every-everything, but right now I have this image squatting my mind: a cage containing a character with the word 'noob' flashing on his/her/kra's head and many other characters outside, with, instead, the word 'Proper Character' flashing on their heads, pointing and looking at the caged char, whispering, jumping and wandering all around the cage.
I don't know if what is said in the first post can really run a new player off but while figuring it out maybe it'd be nice to read what some real new player think about the whole thread.
Of course, if a 8-page thread about what should/shouldn't run them off won't however run them off :P
(No offence to anyone: my opinion is that discussions are always - or, at least, often - great; I just think - and I might be wrong! - that, from time to time, it could be useful not only explain, guess and suggest but also simply ask :) )

yeah Moja your small note is pretty useless  ;D maybe if it was larger I may have seen some truth in it  ;D

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2013, 05:37:10 am »
There is a difference in being courteous and respectful, and being a filthy hippie sitting around a campfire, singing kumbaya and expecting everyone to get along all the time.

Hey! I resemble that remark! Not all hippies are filthy! ;)

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2013, 06:55:40 am »
Nice gif, Tessra... I totally got what you meant. It just took me 10 minutes of rage and stupidity to realize that I misread your post and my response would probably further establish that I am insane.

Young                                                                                                                     > Old
Liar                                                                                                             > Truth-teller
Ebonwumon | Volki | Mariana | Illysia | Tessra | Eonwind | LigH | Rigwyn | cdmoreland | novacadian

Updated the Age-Truth Scale.

Sooo, that "little" story reminded me of Amy's Baking Company from Kitchen Nightmares. In this case, the angry customer would have a good point.

And that reminds me of something else. Yeah, you can roleplay what you like. But sometimes, I think, you guys (Tessra, Mariana, Wulfar, other people whose names I wish I could remember) roleplay topics that are way too intense for casual players. You have a tendency to get gritty. It's not violence I mean. It's like... This psychological trauma drama.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:01:18 pm by Volki »
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2013, 08:36:23 am »
But sometimes, I think, you guys (Tessra, Mariana, Wulfar, other people whose names I wish I could remember) roleplay topics that are way too intense for casual players. You have a tendency to get gritty. It's not violence I mean. It's like... This psychological trauma drama.

Well, since it's been brought up... I'm kinda with Sarras here. It's too much for me too which is why I just sorta went by the sides RPwise. I realized that none of my characters really have a place on most of the going RPs and I don't want to be a part of them. So I just found other things to do since it is harder to establish the rapport needed to do not boring tavern RPs.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2013, 11:01:33 am »
Relativity could screw with this further.

That could probably create an entire thread in and of itself. ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:53:55 am by Mariana Xiechai »

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2013, 05:09:27 pm »
I think I have proven that I have a very varied taste in RP :P I love the dark gritty stuff that makes me think all night long, but a lazy tavern RP or something humorous also catches my attention. In fact, there is very little RP that I will avoid.

Rigwyn actually has this handy little post here that is meant to help sort out some of these preferences before colliding in game. I find it useful.
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2013, 07:32:12 pm »
So, maybe you should keep the sensitive topics to yourselves... Or at least warn other people before diving into traumatic shit that you know not everyone is comfortable with. Because every time I roleplay with you, it's like walking through a lovely field of tall grass and sunflowers, but it's FILLED WITH FRIGGIN SNAKES.

I will agree with you 100% on a few things here.   There are those of us who have been RPing together for a couple years now, and we're very comfortable with each other.  We know what *we* like in our RPs, and we know what boundaries not to cross for *us.*  So it doesn't always occur to us that other people might not like the heavier topics.  Quite often we do tend to keep to ourselves, simply because we don't always like fluff n' stuff RPs.  There is a reason that we're often to be found on rooftops or in dungeons and sewers.  (And it isn't just the kickass graphic glitches or the thrill of taunting the GM-guards to 'port us out.)

Let me ask you something though.  How many times have you ever heard someone come up to one of us and say "Hey man, I'd love to RP with you, but I'm really not up for dark and creepy tonight.  Could we go a bit lighter, maybe?"  I've never heard it myself.  But I'd like to think I'm at least marginally considerate enough that if someone asked me nicely/politely/at least without sarcasm-ly I'd at least think about it. 

What I do see happening a lot is someone walks up, in the middle of an already on-going, and typically serious, conversation and tosses out a random greeting or comment, without pausing to listen to what is happening.  Now, a new player?  (And in these situations, you can pretty easily tell if someone is new...)  For them, my character will usually deadpan, stare at them like their nutters and ask them, albeit reluctantly, if they need help with something. 

This is where players like Zalya and Mariana are leagues above and beyond me with sending /tells and talking to the players, trying to make sure they know it's not personal, only IC, and being all-around friendly.  I'm shy.  I don't like sending strangers /tells.  I don't really even like to approach characters I don't know the players of.  Deep down, I'm still that little girl in pigtails who got pushed down on the playground and sat in the sand crying until her mommy picked her up.  But I am at least willing to try and reach out to someone to make sure they aren't upset by it. 

Back to the above... I'm not a big fan of established characters walking up obliviously into things and not reacting ICly.  I suppose I expect a bit more from them.  Some players, like Elrbye (I know I butchered that spelling. Where are you, you giant hulking menki?!  You know you want a cuddle!), Sacho,  and Monala are just amazing at walking up, giving a realistic greeting/intro, and then observing and jumping in with the reaction.  I give them mad props for going with the flow. 

So yeah, all of that to say... what Volki and Illysia said just now?  Nice, polite, not accusatory, or abrasive.  THAT type of comment or request?  Yeah, you say that, and I'm more than willing to tone my RP down to play around you.  I have no problems compromising so that everyone can have fun.  And I'm pretty sure that the rest of the dark and gritty crowd (aside from Rigwyn, who we all know couldn't get his mind out of the creepy-scary-gutter :p ) would be willing to tone things down on our main scaries, or use more jovial alts for the benefit of all, at least occasionally.  No, we're not going to all start using the organic hemp wash ( Ven, wink-wink-nudge-nudge) and switching to vegans (that means you, Ikon), but we're not unreasonable.  You will always catch more flies with honey-scented flypaper, and being nice about it makes us more inclined to be accommodating.   

Now then, I have a menki to shave, a diaboli to snatch the dreds off and two klyros to turn into a matching pair of boots.  Toodles!
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai