Author Topic: RP Covenant.  (Read 13779 times)

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
Re: RP Covenant.
« Reply #240 on: March 24, 2009, 01:03:00 pm »
the terms that were agreed upon are posted in http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=34508.0

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 25, 2009, 12:46:08 am »
and even your quotes point out that the ideas and definitions come from the players not the devs

Janner was complaining that the covenant is being used to define roleplay.  Janner was not complaining about specific ideas towards roleplay - Janner was instead complaining that specific ideas about roleplay are being inserted into the covenant.  Having a covenant, and the nature of the covenant, came from Xillix.  If it did not originate with Xillix, it was sponsored and moved forward by Xillix.

Yes, you are right that players are giving input and are being given the opportunity to craft their own covenant.  I didn't say it was otherwise.  Although the covenant we create must be approved by the GM team before anything happens with it.

Shalmaneser I am posting as Rennaj, so unless you want me to address you as I have here, IT is Rennaj. now I am discussing and putting forward my view's and ideas. not complaining.
 The opening post is from Xillix, so no need to argue that point anymore.

I can use Rennaj if you want me to, I just figured that Janner was your player / regular forum monicker and how I got to know you where-as Rennaj was the name you used as a GM.  Shalmaneser isn't an equivalent to Janner since my OOC posts on the forum are made as Zanzibar.

And yes, you were expressing your views and ideas, which are as valid as any other opinion.  But it does seem like you're dissatisfied with how things are progressing.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Raekh

« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2009, 05:35:29 pm »
What happened to this approach?

During the recent discussion about a potential wipe it was proposed to make agreeing to such a covenant mandatory if desired to log into Laanx.
Now there was only a partial wipe - does that mean having to officially agree to such a covenant is postponed(tm), including all consequences for GM's options on intervention and players choices on behaviour?

Marqsaynt

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2009, 08:09:53 pm »
From my perspective and recollection...

After several versions and re-writes evolving from contributions from several players that I respect, a naysayer movement sprang up and, at least for me, was the breaking point for having any interest in further contributing. After being repeatedly told that a covenant is unnecessary, unenforceable, and being created purely out of ego, I essentially washed my hands of the whole business choosing personal sanity over an RP covenant. (Another less logical but still noteworthy attack i recall was lamenting the need to even have a covenant of rules at all. I found this Utopian mourning more amusing than anything and was not a key factor in my minor disillusionment with the RP covenant movement.) 

If there is a resurgence of interest I am confident there is a very strong foundation already established by the earlier work but, going off my own experience I doubt too many of the prior contributors will wish to spearhead the cause again.

I would be interested in knowing where this idea currently stands with the settings team and for what reason it was essentially left to sputter into hibernation. 

Raekh

« Reply #244 on: December 11, 2009, 10:11:25 pm »
I wonder if it wouldnt require some hurdle to take, for one who wants to achieve taking it.
Call it elitist, but down at some level,  sometimes it just needs some minimum level requirement for making er.. kick people's rears=P

Naysayers, okay I agree Marq, it is always easier and more comfortable to say "Nah come on, lets keep it as simple and easy as possible" - but I think if PS strives for sticking out of the masses, it has to set some hurdle:
"If you want to roleplay in this very special RP niche-game, then be willed to stick to the rules, and if you are willed, you will be supported by all means possible, individual players and the team".

"To be willed" is the keyword here, thats why its a "covenant" and not a ruleset.
PlaneShift wants as many people as possible no matter whats their intention, or does it want to attract people honestly getting into roleplay and enhancing the atmosphere?

EStripus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 13, 2009, 11:02:49 pm »
This was a very large and thread to try and get through, but I did my best.  I was disappointed to read that someone feels all RPs should be done in main.  I can think of a couple of examples, because of game mechanics, that this idea does not work.  The game mechanics have a set distance where comments can be "heard", which is necessary. But there is also a true life aspect that people talk at different volumes and ambient noise affects hearing.  So it is not always appropriate to RP in main.

1) a group or couple of people talking quietly at a table in the taverns will not necessarily be heard by the person standing at the bar.
2) if a site is busy, then not all conversations would be as easily distinguished as simply reading the main chat.
3) people in the rooms in Kada El's would not necessarily be heard by people downstairs and vice versa.
4) sitting in an out of the way area of any map, again, talking quietly and would not necessarily be overheard by someone passing by within 'game mechanics range of hearing.'
5) a couple of characters are having a sensitive/private convo  or a romantic picnic in less trafficked area may stop talking when a stranger approaches. So the players might use Guild/Group to convey that the conversation is held at a low volume. (good RPers acknowledge the newcomer, but have a right to IC politely inform the newcomer in main they are having a private conversation. If the newcomer chooses not to leave then things should be handled in an RP way: move away or change the subject. Likewise players should be respectful and act accordingly if they have come up on a private conversation, don't sit/stand with the intent to be annoying or dance on the table or sit on an avatars head.)

Yes, there is a point and purpose for RPing in guild and group, as I hope the above examples have demonstrated.

An unusual use of OOC [but practical]: From time to time to avoid RL operator error [missing something that some typed] and character action, I have been known to let a fellow RPer know that my character did not notice or chose to ignore an action and continue with what my character was doing. And fellow guildmembers occasionally check with me to make sure that I saw the comment/action of their character, because sometimes I miss things.

Otherwise I agree with most of the versions of the 'commandments', but most of those points are all covered in the tutorial.

And is very hard to stay in settings as a character grows because some of the settings are 'hidden' in books throughout Yliakum. Clearly, people that say they know the settings because they read the website, have not found some of the IG books. It is hard to know those books/settings are there unless another player tells you.  The volumes that detail DR are a great example, there is a ALOT of necessary information in those that might affect how a player forms their character, but they don't know it until they stumble on it OR someone else tells them. In the meantime they have possibly already done incorrect RP storylines and history. I have, occasionally, directed players in 'tell' toward those books if I come across description or RPs that are grossly outside of settings.
Don't godmod me and we'll get along fine.

Xoel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 14, 2009, 12:09:35 am »
@EStripus: I think there are bigger IC/OOC issues facing PS than whether someone can overhear another person in a tavern. What stings me more is that 'lol' is so commonplace in Main, without brackets, along with 'lmao', etc.

RPing or OOCing in Guild and Group is fine either way, so long as whoever is running the guild/group makes it clear which option is chosen. It's entirely optional. What needs enforcing is RP in Main, whether through server kicks, short bans, whatever is necessary. Signing up to an RP covenant isn't necessary, as it clearly says at the bottom of the client when Fragnetics is selected that all players on that server are expected to partake in RP and that there are consequences for being OOC or using leetspeak.

Just my humble opinion.

EStripus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 14, 2009, 04:38:26 pm »
I have changed my opinion slightly since I remembered my first days of trying to learn to RP from stats on paper and internet didn't exist. I think the covenant is a fine idea to summarize good RPing guidelines/behavior for those that might not understand or remember all of the guidelines during the tutorial. It gives new RPers a concise point of reference because Planeshift might be their first true RP experience.  I have spent time with some great RPers that said: I didn't really know how to RP when I first started, it was a new experience for me.

\\o// It seems we all agree on the same tenents, we just keep wording them differently.  Let's get it on the main website where people are most likely to see it OR as a post somewhere on the main index so people can find it quickly and easily.

@Zoel:  My reply was to the person that thought all RPs should be done in main.  Unfortunately, I couldn't remember that person's name, so I gave reasons why I did not agree with his/her statement. That person's point was a comment pertaining to creating an interactive world and RPing etiquette.

My examples are also valid to RPing what a character would reasonably hear and discover (IC) vs what a player knows because of the mechanics of the game (OOC). That falls directly under this thread to discuss proper RPing styles, etiquette, and use of OOC vs IC knowledge, and seperation of unnecessary OOC comments in main chat in order to create the convenants.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 06:46:06 pm by EStripus »
Don't godmod me and we'll get along fine.