Author Topic: opinions about our kitty.  (Read 2309 times)

Rirenil Masdo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
opinions about our kitty.
« on: February 04, 2007, 11:25:45 pm »
Hello all.

First off, I am a lurker.  I watch from the shadows.  It's more fun that way.  I appear, when I think I truely need to say something, or in this case, ask something.

This past event, it was the first truely major issue our Neko has been through as the newest member of the mod team.  Now that things have seemed to have quieted down, I'm curious.  How do you think he handled it?

Don't be afraid to be honest.  I know where he sleeps, so unless it's truelly called for, he won't be touching your posts.  I've taught my little brother that you need to respect and consider other people's opinoins about you.  Not to simply push them aside.

I do ask that you try to keep it constructive though.  If you think he did something wrong, tell him how you would have dne it, so that he learns something from this experience.  I read over his shoulder while he was spending hours on the computer during all of this big mess that happened and saw his inbox get filled with both negative and positive PMs about his modding actions.  So I know you all have opinions.  Consider this your time to express them openly.  I have always said, that one can't better themself, without first taking into the thoughts of what others think of you. 

So, what's your thoughts?  You think he did a decent job?  Or maybe we should have Karyuu fire him?  I want to help my little bro be better at his job, and to do that, I ask for help from all of you.  Life is simply one long learning experience.  Lets all help each other and gain knowledge together.

Due to the relationship between me and Neko, my opinion of him is biased, so I won't give it.  All I will say, is that he certainly does live up to his name that he has chosen for his forum account.  It's japanese btw. 

Thanks all.  Back to lurking I go.
"Jekkar really is Planeshift's very own Van Gogh - an iconoclastic rulebreaker, unheralded by his peers, who must await for history to recognise his talents at a later date." - Rinenud
"Jekkar is an old one-eared smelly elitist party-pooper jerkface."  - Neko K

bilbous

Re: opinions about our kitty.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 11:30:21 pm »
I think this thread is doomed to an early extinction as posts evaluating moderator, gm or dev behavior are severely frowned upon. That said I got no problems here and wouldn't poison the well if I did.

neko kyouran

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 12:20:42 am »
hmm.

* neko kyouran sighs

So this is why she wanted to use my computer.  (She doesn't have one of her own)

Umm, I'll be called biased in my actions if I do let it stay, but what the heck. This one time, I'll let it slide.  At least she means well.

* neko kyouran braces for the comments that will follow.

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 12:44:32 am »
I dunno I would expect you to recuse yourself from this thread as you have a conflict of interest and possibly refer it to another moderator for consideration. Like I said I have no problems myself, I am sure you will grow to delight in the big stick you have been handed and some occasions will warrant such glee. Moderators always seem to start out too hesitant, for instance I believe this thread has long outlived its usefulness not to mention having met Godwins Law and in a newbie help forum to boot. Is that really what we want newcomers to see? If you choose to do something about it feel free to remove this reference.

Edit fixed link
Edit corrected spelling mistakes.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 01:19:40 am by bilbous »

lordraleigh

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 01:05:16 am »
I dunno I would expect you to recuse yourself from this thread as you have a conflict of interest and possibly refer it to another moderator for consideration. Like I said I have no problems myself, I am sure you will grow to delight in the big stick you have been handed and some occasions will warrant such glee. Moderators always seem to start out too hesitant, for instance I believe [url =http://hydlaa.com/smf/index.php?topic=27339.0] this thread [/url] has long outlived its usefullness not to mention having met Godwins Law and in a newbie help forum to boot. Is that really what we want newcomers to see? If you chosse to do something about it feel free to remove this reference.

I doubt Godwin's Law could be applied on this post. I doubt there is somebody trollish enough here to seriously compare the actions of the moderators team using the word "nazis", as it would be ridiculous to take such thing seriously. Personally I have nothing to add, the moderators team is here, they make the laws and that is it. Only thing is that you should not be afraid of moderators, this is not China or North Korea. If you wish to question one of their actitudes, the only thing to know is that the same way I will put someone in a makeshift "ignore_list" if one starts swearing me through PMs, mods will take the actions they can against personal offenses as well. Try to be clear and rational on your explanation on why you do not agree with such decision, you will either be answered or get a decent answer to your message explaining why the moderator took such decision.

-----

About finished threads:

When a thread becomes "finished"(There is nothing more to add on it), it will eventually be buried by new threads and still unfinished threads(Fortunately I never saw a digger around taking out old threads from their "grave"). Many threads had such fate without the need of a lock.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 01:50:57 am by lordraleigh »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 02:37:23 am »
Bilbous was actually refering to a certain guild being compared to the Nazis, and it did happen in that thread.  No one was comparing the mods to the Nazis.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

neko kyouran

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 06:46:06 am »
I dunno I would expect you to recuse yourself from this thread as you have a conflict of interest and possibly refer it to another moderator for consideration.

Tis why I left it open.  Kary's going to have to decide what to do about this one.  But I got the general tone that people were affriad I'd come in and do something about it, so I figured I'd simply say I wouldn't.  That way, if she does decide to let it go for awhile or what not, which it looks like she is, people can post if they want to.

As for lordraleigh's minor offtopic thing, its quite simple.  Just don't post.  Don't post and we don't have to take action and everyone is happy.  Thers been quite a few threads discussing time period the game is set in, so really, if the original poster had done a little searching, they would hve found some f those and their question would have been answered.  But, its not a big deal that they didn't.  Given the nature of that thread area, that is bound to happen.

And for that reason, it's why you'll see most everyone put on that smile and answer that "how do I get out of the DR?" or "where do I sell rat parts at?" theads over and over again. 

As for the digression of that thread, I shall let Kary decide how she wants to handle it.  But honestly, if you don't want it to continue, simply don't post.  And eventually, it will go to sleep in the archives and everyone will be happy.

Now then.  All of that was offtopic, so I ask we all get back to the original topic.  Discussing me.   ::)

bilbous

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 10:00:34 am »
Sadly it appears I am the only one bold enough to actually post on topic in this thread and that my original prediction will come true. The reason I thought you should step in on that thread was mostly because of the pointless bickering not being helpful in a newbie help thread, I did not suggest any particular action but one action that you could have taken short of ending the thread or removing posts was to move the argument to the general discussion page. Of course choosing to hope it will go away soon is also your prerogative. As you will notice I have not contributed to that thread myself.

So what is the significance of the name? None of the translation services I have tried translate it and wikipedia knows nothing about it nor does a google search find anything relevant. And what about your sisters name? Your sister mentioned it had some relevance so I believe the question is still on-topic.

I do hope someone else will post on-topic here.

neko kyouran

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 02:20:08 pm »
Rin's name, I believe, was simply generatd by the built in PS name generator.

My name, both words are Japanese.  And I've found that it is a little hard to find a decent translator for that language, probably due to the fact that to translate Japanese to English and back again, it takes as much finesse as it does a literal translaton to get it right.  At least, that's what I've come to believe anyways.

Edit: to give a start, 'Neko' litterally translates to 'cat'.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 02:29:28 pm by neko kyouran »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 02:33:43 pm »
Sadly it appears I am the only one bold enough to actually post on topic in this thread and that my original prediction will come true.

I sent my thoughts in a PM.  We're supposed to avoid discussion of mod activities in the public forums (by avoid, I mean not ever do).
Immaturity is FTW.

LARAGORN

• Veteran
  • Facts dont cease to exist because they are ignored
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 07:35:02 am »
My concerns were also sent via PM and Neko responded in a clear well thougth out manner.

The fact this thread is still here, at least shows he is open to critisism.

All great truthes begin as blasphemies- SHAW
Adraax KCP Adraax Forum

bilbous

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 11:51:03 am »
Part of the problem with the translation I've found is that every service I've seen translates into some kind of glyph and not into any western alphabet so for us to actually translate it we'd need to see it in its native form. That said, I'll just assume it is "The Cat in the Hat"....

neko kyouran

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 03:10:43 pm »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 03:18:53 pm »
Crazy cat?
Immaturity is FTW.

neko kyouran

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 03:52:06 pm »
"fury cat", or litterally, "cat fury".  With a little finesse involved, "fury of the cat".

Relating to, how a cat is calm and gentle and loving and super easy going most of the time, but when it becomes enraged, well   :whistling:

Kind of stupid I know, but it suits my personallity.