Author Topic: Different Skill System  (Read 362 times)

Talcon

• Traveller
  • Long Live the Empire!
    • View Profile
Different Skill System
« on: December 10, 2012, 12:15:33 pm »
Alright i've watched a couple reviews on youtube about Planeshift.  I myself have played many years on and off. I think the skill system should be changed because it is just ENDLESS grinding.  I think instead of *paying* for training, we should be allowed to rank up just by performing the action.  Like if I wanted to train sword I would go and fight things with my sword.  Not search for some guy that "trains" sword.  And when you rank up a skill, don't just mention it in the system chat. Flash it in big golden letters in front of the user!! Kind of like when you "find an iron ore." Make it really flashy on the screen. People like that! The only stats that i think should have to be paid for is the general stats like strength, endurance, intelligence, etc.  Well that is one of my many suggestions for this game. Don't get me wrong I love Planeshift, but I think some changes need to be made (makes sense right? Its a beta).  If you want to here more thoughts on the game, lemme know.   :D

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Different Skill System
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 12:33:57 pm »

There have actually been many topics in the wishlist related to training, progression and character creation (which are often closely related). Some of them contain nice discussions with quite specific ideas. Paying for base attributes for instance is not necessarily a good thing, but I don't expect this to be replaced with a practice system any time soon.
However, your suggestion for an on-screen notification about rank-ups is nice and simple. You may want to open a ticket about that on flyspray to get more feedback.

Talcon

• Traveller
  • Long Live the Empire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 12:52:41 pm »
What is flyspray?

Aiwendil

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:40:24 pm »

Oronec

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 08:22:22 pm »
I think the skill system should be changed because it is just ENDLESS grinding.  I think instead of *paying* for training, we should be allowed to rank up just by performing the action.

We'd still be investing time in working up our skills - but we'd be able to invest our trias in more merchandise for our own fancies or RP purposes. I'm on board with this suggestion haha. I'm sure it would also prod those penny pinchers in the direction of exploring their skill choices as well!

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 11:54:15 pm »
I'm still in favor of repeatable quests that give skill experience instead of just regular PPs.  For example, Harquist is behind on an order and needs you to make 5 new swords for the guards.  He'll pay you for the swords, and as a special thanks he'll also give you a few tips on blacksmithing (aka xp).  This could be applied to pretty much any crafting skill. Mining, alchemy, cooking, etc.  This gives players an alternative to grinding, and gives them an IC reason to be crafting in the first place.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 02:22:26 am »
You do get a lot of experience for solved quests. Beginner quests in Hydlaa often boost your char by e.g. 8000 EXP (40 PP) or 9400 EXP (47 PP); do you already mind that being too low?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 04:40:51 am »
I don't think tman's point is about experience/progression points. Here is a topic he once opened with some good thoughts:
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=40608

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 05:14:46 am »
Ah, so I misinterpreted parts of his sentence; I already suspected this direction but missed it while reading.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 03:13:30 pm »
Overall I mostly want PPs to be taken out. They seem to not make any real sense, if you rank up in that skill you can carry on no matter what... yeah? I think training by paying for lessons could be an alternative, making the training time quicker (half as much) than training by yourself.

On the idea of stats, I think they're completely unrealistic, going to see a guard to gain strength makes no sense. So I think you should gain these skills by doing the action, for example strength could gradually come as you run around, INT as you use Mana, etc. Maybe if you don't go for a run you'll slowly lose your strength. Other than that, stats could be made more realistic by magicians training you, maybe a spell could give you strength, yeeeah? If you gradually train strength from running around you could get a spell to make it permanent.

I'm still in favor of repeatable quests that give skill experience instead of just regular PPs.  For example, Harquist is behind on an order and needs you to make 5 new swords for the guards.  He'll pay you for the swords, and as a special thanks he'll also give you a few tips on blacksmithing (aka xp).  This could be applied to pretty much any crafting skill. Mining, alchemy, cooking, etc.  This gives players an alternative to grinding, and gives them an IC reason to be crafting in the first place.

I like this idea, maybe not repeatable as such, but have the quest change slightly. For instance it could be swords for the guards, daggers for a creep in the dungeon, axes for Gordy. The amount of items to be made could vary slightly, the prize could change too.

Overall I think Planeshift would have something unique and good if they have various alternatives in training.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.