Author Topic: Some observations  (Read 5533 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Some observations
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2010, 04:53:32 pm »
I'm the nicest guy in the world, and harbor no hate or resentment to anyone. Some have a tendency to attach Ahriman's actions and beliefs to me, the player.

I think the problem is more that even in an RP setting certain topics are considered taboo not matter what. Sex and violence without constraints has almost always been viewed warily in the PS community. People can get weird and there is no need to give them a sandbox to do that in. Rape in particular was considered tasteless and the domain of talentless RPers. I remember one I was around back in kada's, the whole matter was ridiculous and completely tasteless. That's not to mention the needless purple prose and bad RP. It being in main was just the final straw on the matter.

jaculapundactum

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 05:09:30 pm »
My head hurts from reading this thread.

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2010, 05:35:56 pm »
My heart hurts....
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2010, 07:40:30 pm »
My wings hurt.

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2010, 08:11:51 pm »
This has really digressed... Bring back to the issue on hand, I know that when different people RP with their own different means of communicating, they might use the /me "tries" to [action].   That's generally used as a commitment to the action, as it's showing effort and intent on the part of the character to perform the desired action...

As to the forming of alts and such, as best I could gather from the conversation...  Well, for me, the formation of a character specific for a RP plot is fine, I've done it once or twice, sometimes that character will die, and I won't come back to playing him/her, and sometimes, that character develops into a whole new persona, and become a really enjoyable character to play.... Take Eelin's character Ahriman for example there :)

On that note, as for Eelin being a baddie OOCly like Ahriman... HA! That's all I have to say on that matter, Eelin- You're great bro, keep it up :)

Just my take on the matter, take it how you want.. :)   Please no one chew me out too bad :P
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Eelin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2010, 08:45:26 pm »
Additionally, how can a player ban other players from  certain areas of the game?
From an IC standpoit, I think it should be done by either the Octarchy or the Vigesimi. That means it should be done by GM's and/or devs.

Obviously no player can ban another player from anywhere in the game, mechanically, but I will point this out (not taking any sides in the actual dispute).

Elady has gone to great lengths to proliferate RP for everyone at the Stonehead. She has dedicated a lot of her time and herself into offering all of the community a place to enjoy some fun RP. I think we owe her at least the chance to RP that situation and it's resolution as she sees appropriate, because she really has become the 'proprietor' of the Stonehead, especially in recent weeks, from an RP perspective.
Qata says: Eelin, you know not of what you speek

sashia_mennar

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2010, 09:00:01 pm »
Eelin, I'm sorry, I'm terribly sorry.

Please try to understand me. I have to say that. Or rather ask. I have no choice, and it's all your fault.

When. for Dakkru's sake, are we going to marry? I'm sorta tired of waiting. Really.

Last warning: unless you do something about it, real quick, I'm going to stalk Ahri. And I'll make you sorry, love. Sorrier  than you ever was, or are, or planning to be.

You ain't got no jokes.
Lotsa love, everyone!

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2010, 09:17:12 pm »
*Caraick gulps, and worries for his friend...*
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Leicace

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2010, 12:04:28 am »
* Leicace agrees with Caraick. :D

Orgonwukh

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2010, 04:39:22 am »
When i look at the Octarchy decree 425 AY, i can not find anything that would indicate, that trying to pee at a kikirii is considered a crime.

Quote from: The Octarchal Decree of 425 AY
[...] XXII. All animals, pets, or small flying beasts shall be treated well. [...] Mistreatment of animals is prohibited. [...]

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2010, 04:47:44 am »
I'm the nicest guy in the world, and harbor no hate or resentment to anyone. Some have a tendency to attach Ahriman's actions and beliefs to me, the player.

I think the problem is more that even in an RP setting certain topics are considered taboo not matter what. Sex and violence without constraints has almost always been viewed warily in the PS community. People can get weird and there is no need to give them a sandbox to do that in. Rape in particular was considered tasteless and the domain of talentless RPers. I remember one I was around back in kada's, the whole matter was ridiculous and completely tasteless. That's not to mention the needless purple prose and bad RP. It being in main was just the final straw on the matter.

Just to note to go along with Illysia's comment that rape RPs are considered tasteless. In fact the official game policy is that any rape RP is strictly prohibited. It doesn't matter if both sides agreed to the RP or not. If the GM team finds out about any kind of rape RP that happened then the participants are going to get a lengthly ban at the min, up to a lifetime ban depending on the situation.

Sillamon

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2010, 06:40:49 am »

This was too long .. and its making my eyes bleed.

A few grave things stick out repeatedly..

1. DONT CONFUSE IC INFORMATION WITH OOC INFORMATION.
2. DONT TAKE IC ACTIONS PERSONALLY
3. IC ACTIONS REFLECT THE CHARACTER, NOT THE PLAYER
4. DONT JUDGE A PERSON BY THEIR GUILD

If Troyer want to play a bad guy, then let him. He has every right to do so. The actions his character took appear to be rather amusing actually.
I see a lot of comments where people are taking his character's IC actions personally. Folks, you need to keep IC and OOC worlds separate. Period.

Troyer,

I feel bad for you. You have stumbled into a game that does not really support role play. Its called a role playing game, but it really isnt. We have asked repeatedly for rules and guidelines for players to prevent these types of situations repeatedly but got ignored each time. Unfortunately this sort of crap role play is a hallmark of planeshift. Planeshift considers this to be acceptable so dont expect it to get much better than this.

Good Luck,
Rigwyn

neko kyouran

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2010, 07:14:06 am »

You have stumbled into a game that does not really support role play. Its called a role playing game, but it really isnt. We have asked repeatedly for rules and guidelines for players to prevent these types of situations repeatedly but got ignored each time. Unfortunately this sort of crap role play is a hallmark of planeshift. Planeshift considers this to be acceptable so dont expect it to get much better than this.

oh really?

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=34508.0

made by the players, for the players.

[e] and the follow up to that:  http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=36546.0
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:17:22 am by neko kyouran »

jaculapundactum

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2010, 07:35:43 am »
oh really?

http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=34508.0

made by the players, for the players.

[e] and the follow up to that:  http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=36546.0

We both know that the "RP covenant" is not being enforced or followed in the least.

neko kyouran

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2010, 10:27:11 am »
and who's fault is that?  the player base for not following it.

[e] to expand on that.  it's the players responsibility to create the community and promote RP.  its the dev's job to create the engine that allows the player base to create the community.  the GM team exists to help promote this concept.  if there are acts going on in game as  described in this thread, then its the responsibility of the player base to notify the correct personnel of these acts. 

if the player base sees these acts go on in game, and does not report them, then they have only themselves to blame for the way the game's community evolves.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:33:44 am by neko kyouran »