Author Topic: Some observations  (Read 5519 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Some observations
« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2010, 11:55:12 pm »
Maybe he likes me. :love: ;D

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2010, 12:31:47 am »
:sniff-sniff:

Do you smell that?

Smells like an oncoming...f...fl...flam...hic!

-sig by sarras

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2010, 09:00:15 am »
Some people are very preoccupied with how RP is being lead in-game. However:

Speaking only as a single member of the GM team I feel ANY kind f rape RP is totally unacceptable. I don't care how much all the parties say it was planed, agreed to and consensual. I think if such an RP is brought to the attention of the GM team then everyone involved should be looking at a ban, especially if the details of the rape are acted out. Again just one GM's opinion but if need be I'll push hard that my view is acted on if the situation comes up.

Instead of expecting GM's to guess where things are going wrong, try reporting and seeing what happens. Being repetitive works around here. They'll get so bothered with it one day, they'll try to solve things one way or the other and then we'll have a good answer.
Also, try to create plots or motivate other people to create them to give people an alternative to their primitive instincts.

So pipe down and get to work. Your wasting time here when you could be helping me with the Historic Poetry thing.

EDIT: Shortened post. Added advertisement.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:31:44 am by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Zytorr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2010, 09:57:26 am »
Your points are exactly right on Tessra.

from Eelin:
"This should have been attached to Tessra's quote of Roled's original post, as his intent was for clarification of that original."

from Tessra:
"You never HAVE to do what someone else wants you to.  You never HAVE to be the way someone else wants you to be.  No one else should ever have that level of control over you; that is simply another form of god-modding."

yes indeed ... just another form of god-modding.

Eelin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2010, 11:15:37 am »
yes indeed ... just another form of god-modding.

Coming from someone who has such a clear grasp of God-modding, I suppose I should be humbled.

(14:19:54) Qata says: Leicace is a daughter of Xiosia. The goddess has much concern for her well being and has instructed me to evaluate this ring for possibl adverse magic
Qata says: Eelin, you know not of what you speek

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2010, 11:37:05 am »
God-modding only exists if there are people dumb enough to play along. It's easy to make a god-modder's character pass as fool with ridiculous pretensions. In fact, it's easy to do that even with a truly great character.

Players who flood the main chat with obvious incoherences are liable to be reported to GMs, I think, for trolling. And if it's not abusive, it's no biggy. Most of us have this powerful jedi trick of ignoring idiots. Try to use it, it accomplishes what I mentioned in my first paragraph.

So breath in, breath out and bear with each other. If you want soap operas though, we have plenty of threads waiting for participation at Hydlaa's Plaza. Hell, we have beef going on there.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2010, 12:24:24 pm »
I know I'm a bit late commenting on this, but I just wanted to post my total agreement with Tessra on this.  I don't want to go and paste a quote of that whole post, Tessra  :P But you bring up many solid points, with good logic and reasoning behind them... 

I took the time to read the whole post, lengthy as it was... NOT verbose  ;D   And I can only hope others take the time to do the same, it makes for good reading.. :)

from Tessra:
"You never HAVE to do what someone else wants you to.  You never HAVE to be the way someone else wants you to be.  No one else should ever have that level of control over you; that is simply another form of god-modding."

Letting another player or character dictate the character and personality and actions of your character is completely against the spirit of RP.  Allow your character to develop on his or her own, and allow the actions of that character to make sense for the personality of that character, not the wishes or desires of another player or character.  Well said, Tessra, well said... Thank you for posting :)
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Geoni

• Veteran
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2010, 12:34:52 pm »
Oh, the god-mod messiness. Let's see here...

*lets out a sigh before pulling out an old sheet of dusty paper, blowing the accumulation off and writing the following on it:

Geoni's Guide to Dealing With a Godmodder

Catch the godmodder in action:

Step 1: Screenshot the god-mod along with /report [godmodder].
Step 2: report to GM by sending the screenshot via PM, and also making a petition.
Step 3: Ignore player until he/she apologizes and realizes the violation they performed.

Once these steps have been followed through correctly, there should be consequences:

strike 1: Warning
strike 2: Player should be banned for at least a week if not more.
strike 3: "You're out!"

*Places the sheet down where everybody can see it and blabbers, "Well, the consequences are of my own innovation, and not of those who should be enforcing such things.  ;) I doubt such consequences would ever be dealt. All's said and done, this paper is legible."

Oh, and if somebody doesn't like being called a godmodder and they says something like, "What's a godmod is an opinion!" Then this should be known: Godmodding is deciding the actions for others. May that be actions of their characters or actions of the players. Now, somebody telling somebody to do something with their character can be argued not to be godmodding since they can't force this to happen, though if a person lets somebody else decide what their characters should be for, then they are the gullible ones who let themselves be godmodded.  Remember what you have been taught to say to drugs? Well the same goes for godmodding, meta-gaming, and powergaming. These drugs ruin a society just as much as drugs do in real life, so snitching is not being a weakling, it's being a cleaner and an enforcer.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 06:52:21 pm by Geoni »

-sig by sarras

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2010, 01:06:59 pm »
Tessra has credit for knowing. But she's not original: these discussions came to an end with the RP Covenant. Respect your fellow player covers all that.

We're not requiring further explanation of explained concepts. We're requiring their application.

Geoni, God-Modding is only a true offence if it reaches trolling levels. Else it's just an innocent mistake. I'd advise doing the following:

Obvious Trolling:
Domination of chat with incoherent, insistent, unable to be ignored mockery.
Report to GM. He'll know what to do.

Example:
Code: [Select]
Robert says: I will own you all, weaklings!
Robert shoots pure energy from all his pores, killing all those in sight.
Sangwa laughs the crazy dude.
Robert jumps to the ceiling and sticks there with his arachnid powers Talad gave him. He keeps pumping energy, killing puny Sangwa.
Sangwa says: (Dude, you're crazy, I'll report you.)
Robert says: Hahahah, I can all!
Robert turns into Talad, implodes the house and then puts it back in its place, erasing the people there from existance.
(repeats these types of action ad nauseum)[/i]

Ignorant's Tweaking/Goddmodding
Usual overpowered remark, emoting other characters, etc.
Just ignore or treat person as a lunatic character. Then /tell that person how things are usually done.

Example:
Code: [Select]
Robert punches Sangwa in the mouth for no apparent reason, blowing his teeth to pieces.
Sangwa gets punched in the face and bleeds a bit from the corner of his mouth. His teeth are as lovely as always though.
Sangwa tells Robert: Sorry, but it's my character. I decide what happens to him.
Robert tells Sangwa: Oh, but I am uber powerful leet?
Sangwa tells Robert: You could be Talad.
Robert tell Sangwa: Fair enough. I love you.

EDIT: Resumed things. Maybe that slacker will read it now, he seems to be the type that needs.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 01:23:59 pm by Sangwa »

Join the Dark Empire!

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2010, 01:17:06 pm »
I did not read anything but I will still say this:  ;D

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2010, 01:33:35 pm »
The god modding angle makes it sound like we are blaming the victim. And if the victim is a nine year old kid, for whom nothing bad had happened in RP ever before, then it must be their fault right? I find light treatment of this subject to be disgusting. As is the cowardliness of refusing to judge characters that promote and engage in such scenarios. Anyone within earshot of my character who engages in this sort of behavior is getting reported, and I will agitate to the GM team for a proper resolution. If the situation involves a minor player and the parents get involved and escalate it, then don't worry... its not like having to hear I told you so is so bad, at that point.

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2010, 03:19:16 pm »
Rather than typing something else out, here is what I said before:

"But, if I were younger, less experienced, and less jaded about certain things, I might very easily find myself playing along with certain RP situations simply because I wouldn't want to make the other people mad.  I have seen people, adults older than myself, in the few months I've been here, doing things they were uncomfortable with, simply because they felt they had no choice.  I might not worry for a grown man/woman, but I would have serious worries for a 9 year old, like one of the forum members I noticed.  I've made a few people mad, and been yelled at, cursed at and harassed in game [IC and OOC] and out of the game [OOC, obviously].  I can take that, but there are people who play this game who should never be exposed to that manner of behavior.  Children play here, and if I ever saw someone treating one of them the way I was treated, you bet your happy operating systems I would be reporting like crazy.  Under NO circumstances should that be tolerated by us as players.  The GMs don't see everything, and Roled is right.  It is our responsibility to report such things."

I agree with you, verden.  I never meant to imply that the victims should be blamed, merely that adults should take responsibility for themselves, and that all should attempt to ensure the children here be protected to the best of our abilities.   
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2010, 03:40:43 pm »
If I may quote myself...

It's the 'blame the victim' defense that I find reprehensible. ***edited***  I am honored that I have female character friends in this game, and I assume some of them to actually be female. Tho' I don't know. But think about it , who are the demographic playing this game? What is the likelihood that you DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA who that person is really, how old they are really, whether they are young but think they are old enough to handle a role play that turns a blurred line between IC and OOC.

3) It is the Responsibility of each of us to protect players from predators.

Act like human beings instead of sociopaths.

Roled Rolak

It is encouraging to see the maturity level of these response rise as the severity of the issues become clearer. Thank you Tess for speaking out. Thank you each speaker who has written intelligent, well reasoned and humane responses.

God- modding that you have energy beams coming out of your fingertips is one thing- annoying but innocuous. Pressuring others to participate in role play actions that are beyond acceptable limits for a PG-13 is quite another, as several of us have pointed out.

RR

"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Falcon Avian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2010, 03:53:28 pm »
God- modding that you have energy beams coming out of your fingertips is one thing- annoying but innocuous. Pressuring others to participate in role play actions that are beyond acceptable limits for a PG-13 is quite another, as several of us have pointed out.

So when you use things like energy arrow it's godmodding?  ;D

I have an ego so large it has it's own gravity. So in short, yes, everything does revolve around me.

Tessra

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • The Adani Order
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2010, 04:41:56 pm »
Nooooo.... but maybe when you make my own shadow turn against me...  :P
* Tessra huggles Falcon
Also, it's more credible to others if you grow in power slowly over time.  First kill rats, then noobs, then klyros, and eventually work your way up to more powerful creatures ~ Miomai