Author Topic: Even devs using DR as an exit?  (Read 1526 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Even devs using DR as an exit?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 01:41:26 am »
I wonder where this trap should be ... so far I don't remember any place which does not yet have at least e.g. a portal with waysign to allow an emergency exit.

If you don't wish to make this trap public, send me a PM. I miss such developments more often than I could like... - All from the point of a PS Tester.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 02:30:27 am »
It is my pleasure to announce that all has worked out fine and it is no longer a blind trap. Expect wine and pies on the altar of Talad!

- Nova

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 02:44:48 am »
ROOOLEEED! Someone said PIIIEEES! ;D

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 02:46:34 am »
I heard! I be on me way!
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Zytorr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 06:30:21 am »
Hi, I believe one of the points made here was that there was a place on the map where one could get to and not escape other than by dyeing.  Even though that place may have a "fix" it is not the only one. I know of at least three additional places where one is trapped with no escape but to die. In addition, in these places a mount would not help either. If a GM wishes to know these places they can contact Qata privately.

So with so many places, is it accepted that there is a "dead end" or is this something to be remedied?

And if accepted, then is it not also alright to escape a situation by going through the death realm?

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 06:48:01 am »
It depends on how you want to handle the accident.

If you see it as OOC, leave through the Death Realm.

If you insist in seeing it as IC, do anything else that might be necessary to survive.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 08:13:41 am »
And if accepted, then is it not also alright to escape a situation by going through the death realm?

My approach was going to be that after one game month Venorel would have been without water for a game week; which in the physics of our real world would be enough to expect natural death. At that point the /die command would have been used.

This is given as one player's approach and is not meant as any standard that all others should have to conform to.

From a game development point of view, it is my feeling that if a dead end is intentional then death should be forced upon the player; with an aggressive monster, a fall to ones death, etc.; and not offer the opportunity for a character to have to linger for many game days awaiting such an IC eventuality.

- Nova

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 09:40:41 am »
Why not? Getting trapped somewhere without food and water until the onset of morbidity unfortunately is something that still happens to many people IRL. It is a mortal outcome just like being savaged by a beast, or falling to one's death.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2010, 09:45:06 am »
Why not?

Because in an RP environment one could assume the possibility of comrades coming to ones rescue with ropes in hand. This was simply not possible when the dead end was first encountered by my character.

- Nova

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 10:13:58 am »
I doubt that this part of the map was meant to be a dead end; developers usually don't make death traps on purpose - except for the floor of the Death Realm which even got a "death zone" while there was no falling damage (once upon a time). Well, and this generalisation might change for the "real Death Realm", once it gets published...

And if it is the place I could imagine (I still cannot be sure where you mean), then there might be a trick to get out of there without dying.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 10:43:11 am »
Either you are in an RP environment or you are not. Which is it?

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 12:08:01 pm »
I bet the Explorers knew of this place before devs even created it.
I also bet that they currently know several escape methods from this so called trap, including one that automatically transfers you onto a Halo 2 battlefield.
AKA Skald

Sarras Volcae

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 12:41:19 am »
before 0.5 that map was a death trap now you should be able to get over

i got out last year. the other player i was with didn't make it. but i did. true story. and i didn't use /unstick.  :detective:

(i think i know which death trap you're talking about... the one referred to as death trap?)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:44:32 am by Sarras Volcae »

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2010, 07:35:36 pm »
Makes me want to try to fiddle with this further, as Kaerli. :P

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 01:21:43 pm »
Because in an RP environment one could assume the possibility of comrades coming to ones rescue with ropes in hand. This was simply not possible when the dead end was first encountered by my character.

I'd just like to point out that this is probably a stupid bug and that if a GM doesn't want to bother himself helping you out of a hole, you should roleplay the inability to escape from it (and the consequent death), rather than pretending your pals carried a rope all along.
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!