Author Topic: Bug Drive!  (Read 12885 times)

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Bug Drive!
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:42:44 pm »
XilliX and Lanarel are happy to announce a new BUG DRIVE!!!  O--)

We are hoping our enthusiasts will do everything they can to help us verify some pesky bugs so we can get them fixed for you.

Lanarel has comprised the list below and will append notes and guidance where needed.

So, show us what you are made of, put your noses to the grindstone, make something happen!

Bugs that seem dependend on platform and build (install, debug, optimization):
Bug 2075: Problems running/walking in road maps.
Bug 1643: Difficulty climbing ladders.
These bugs could use testing on different systems. Please mention what OS and build you use.

Bug that needs more data to balance correctly:
Bug 2446: Physical stamina drops too quickly.
Mention your character stats (endurance, strength) and who much your char is carrying in inventory

Bugs that may have gone/are not reproduced in a while:
Bug 1194: Crash editing general map
Bug 1048: Crash parsing wrong xml... should work for a stable client. If you can run a stable server, try to reproduce by for example adding wrong xml parts in the database (for items, npcs, quests, ....).
Bug 2129: Server crash when spawning pets after dismissing them
Bug 912: Pet online duration too short. (is this better now if stats are higher?)
Bug 465: Glyph combination research failure. (add examples of things that go wrong).
Bug 333: fall damage and running does not work correctly
For these bugs, comment if you cannot reproduce (we will close the bug if this happens enough). If you can reproduce, also try to give steps so test team can reproduce.

Besides the above mentioned bugs, there are over 500 more open reports. To help with those:
1. Check the comments to see if it is not yet taken care of (or mostly fixed in trunk)
2. Check if it is not a bug due to the newer version of CS. Currently the trunk version in svn is difficult to use for testing unless you have access to updated maps (which are not public). Feel free to look at the many bugs occuring in the binary release or stable.
3. You can help by making bugs reproducible, by adding steps to reproduce. Mention system or character stats if they may be relevant.
4. Feel free to propose fixes. Upload a patch to a pastebin site and add a link. If you cannot fix it yourself but think you found where things are wrong, add that information.

Some bugs may require a private server to test fully soi n case of questions, suggestions, or you think we missed a useful addition to a report, feel free to contact the test team. You can usually find test team members on IRC in #planeshift-build.

Planeshift loves its code-happy player base, WE NEED YOUR HELP!

[Edit: added Lanarels clarificatiions and tidied thread]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:25:06 am by Mordraugion »

kaerli2

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Bug Drive!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 06:34:05 pm »
465 should be an easy fix (a single sort call in the routine that handles spell researching).  I'm pretty darn sure it still exists, btw.

Nykolai Raskaniov

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 06:09:53 am »
Ligh makes a very good point.

Some bugs are very hardware dependent, that's why the team needs community help. Even all the testers combined cannot test all the possible (hardware/software) combinations which would create a bug
"Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face."

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 03:29:44 am »
Very good initiative!  \\o//

I hope the extended team can help us to shorten the times to the next release. I suggest to keep this thread clean by deleting old posts regarding closed bugs, and update the first post.

Aurelynt

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:42:43 pm »
Also, a small reminder...
In some cases, when the testing team was not able to reproduce a bug, comments have been added asking the reporters for further informations or if they could still reproduce the bug after some time. And it would really help if people who have reported bugs or added comments on bugs could check those bugs from time to time.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:49:58 pm by Aurelynt »

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 06:25:52 pm »
We're still not seeing a whole lot of activity, we really need the aid people!

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 02:08:59 am »
Tested a bit around like probably others, too, but I don't want to spam the bugtracker with incomplete results. RL that steps between and such, but it's not forgotten...
This is a nice excercise for players and devs to be on the other side and now having to report progress when they don't really want to (players) and having to wait while apparently nothing happens (devs).  ;D

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 11:23:10 am »
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=3017

The above is for the portal problems, the devs and testers aren't having as much of a problem as many players seem to be.

We need to know what Operating Systems and Hardware people who have this trouble are running.

You should note also important settings like if it happens more or less if you have all maps loaded and such.

Please, if you want these fixed, respond.

Note the exact procedure you went through to produce the buggy results so that we can try to reproduce  and fix it.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 11:33:30 am by Xillix Queen of Fools »

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 11:49:57 am »
I was not sure what "portal problems" meant so I looked at that list. I noticed the the "puddle" issue is referred to as a portal issue even though I would not think of it as being at a portal itself. I can certainly take some time this weekend and detail what I am seeing near various portals when I play. Just wanted to mention it because some may not be completely clear what that refers to. Is there any benefit to reviewing these sorts of things thrice... once with just that level loaded, once with keep last on, and once with all maps loaded (if the machine can handle it of course)? Are there any other variations on settings or options that count when reviewing these?

Sen

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 11:50:49 am »
Im posting here in hope it is at least a bit useful here. (Not sure what Im supposed to post ;) )
#1836 The black hybdr is actually just very dark for me (gone worse in last versions)
#1891 Im surprised that this one needs to be confirmed, I have this since I started playing and seen it on xp (32), linux (32), windows vista (64) and linux (64)  and each time I passed there :P
#1796 is the most interesting; I never had the gap between arena and hydlaa until the last stable build I did whenever the !leaf_replaced bug got fixed by Lanarel (when was that....?)
I could post that in the bugtracker along with the system data below, but Im not sure if it wouldn't be just spam there...

For the rest and to do anything useful Im trying to introduce some basic data one could post about hardware and os.
 = Hardware =
CPU: Intel E8400
RAM: 4GB
GPU: nVidia Corporation G94 [GeForce 9600 GT] (rev a1)

= OS =
Linux 32Bit (openSuse 11.1)
Graphics driver version: 180.29

Did I forget something?

Sen
.....also a saddle that won't pinch the tail. One day!

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:10:11 pm »
#1836 - hybdr is the forest junction? Indeed, it is rather unlit, on all systems I played on (Win32 only, but a variety of hardeware).

But much more strange is the fact that already the short piece of road from the north gate to the forest is dark, and that the Laanx statue alone is dark, since a certain date (like when lighter2 was implemented). It seems like both are always in deep shadow.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:15:54 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Lanarel

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 05:18:33 pm »
@Sen
Thanks for taking time to check those bugs. I would prefer adding info to the bugs in the bug tracker, so that even if a bug can not be fixed in the near future, we have the information you obtained. For example in bug like 1836, having more hardware information would be good. Many people do not have problems with that forest road, so it would be interesting to see if everyone with the problem had similar hardware.

For bilbous and all 'lazy people' like him: to find the mentioned bugs in the bug tracker, go to http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/ , add the number in the box on the top right, and click 'show task'. Or you go to http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/flyspray/index.php?do=details&task_id=1 and replace the 1 with the bug number :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:26:12 pm by Lanarel »

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 09:10:50 pm »
A good dose of figuring out how hard this is would be good for EVERYONE.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 02:04:39 am »
@ Lanarel:

As I previously replied in the bugtracker, #1836 might also depend on the map loading sequence. And others mentioned the game daytime. Therefore, passing this area once and replying "everything is fine for me" will not be the most useful result; we will need a series of checks from the same tester each...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Nykolai Raskaniov

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 02:51:30 pm »
Added a few replies to what I could test. Hope it helps.
"Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face."