Author Topic: [Event Q&A Thread] The Octarchal Society for Progress  (Read 6187 times)

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
[Event Q&A Thread] The Octarchal Society for Progress
« on: January 09, 2009, 01:01:39 am »

Octarchal Society for Progress

It is the pleasure of Octarch Iragdun Salikarios to announce the creation of the Octarchal Society for Progress, an organization that unites guilds that work to improve the quality of life in our realm and preserve and promote opportunities for social growth in all fields.

All Guilds that aspire to be a part of the Octarchal Society for Progress must participate in an annual contest, by presenting a proposal that answers the following question:

“What would you do with the resources of the Octarchy in order to improve the quality of Life in Yliakum?â€

Application Process

1. All proposals must be submitted in a brief document with the following structure:

• Description of the Idea: Explain what the main idea is about and why it would contribute to enrich our society in any aspect: performing arts, culture, science, public health, security, social assistance, education, etc.

• Implementation: Describe how the plan would be executed and how many citizens it can potentially benefit.

• Requirements: Name the things that would be required in order to implement the Idea (E.G.: money, access to public buildings or a guildhouse).

2. The ideas that prove to be the most original, feasible, and beneficial for our society as well as those with the most potential to be successfully implemented shall be chosen as semifinalists by the Jury.

3. Each semifinalist guild shall receive a maximum of 10 minutes in order to present their ideas to the Jury, after which they will have to answer the questions of the panel. These presentations will be open to the public.

4. A maximum of three winners shall be announced after all presentations have been made and deliberation has concluded.

5. The winning guilds shall be invited to be part of the Octarchal Society for Progress and will receive the resources they requested to implement their plans.

Requirements and Obligations of the Winning Guilds:

1. Winning guilds must never be involved in any kind of illicit activities such as acts against the government or that infringe the laws of Yliakum. Shall they not fulfill this requirement, the guilds will be stripped of all benefits and rights bestowed upon them by the Octarchy and harshly prosecuted for the crimes committed.

2. Winning guilds must execute the plans they proposed and report to the Board of the Octarchal Society of Progress. Failure to achieve their goals shall cause the removal of all benefits and rights bestowed upon them by the Octarchy.

Evaluation Criteria:

• Originality. How fresh and different is the idea? (0-10 points)

• Functionality. How feasible is it? (0-10 points)

• Potential. How many people will it benefit? (0-10 points)

• Presentation. How convincing and articulate were the written and oral presentations? (0-10 points)

Proposals with the highest scores will be chosen as semi-finalists. No minimum or maximum numbers have been predetermined. The three presentations that earn the highest scores will be invited to join the OSP this term.

OCC Rules:

1. All guilds can participate. Those guilds that already have a guildhouse cannot request one for private use but they can be given money or allowed to administrate a second house with the purpose of keeping it open to the public at all times or perform a public service for which their private guildhouse would not be fit.

2. All proposals must be RP oriented. Originality and functionality will be major factors to determine the winners. Winning guilds are expected to hold events on a regular basis and involve the community in them as much as possible. They must announce their events in the In-Game RP Board of the PS Forums and work actively to involve as many players as possible in them and promote good RP.

3. All participating guilds must be settings-compliant in order to be considered.

4. The Jury or Board of the Octarchal Society for Progress will be formed by members of the Settings and GM team.

5. Winning guilds will receive money, items and even the buildings their proposals require but they will not be given any special treatment beyond that. They will be solely responsible for the organization of their events and the completion of their projects. GMs and Devs will not assist them nor give them special powers or access.

6. If a winning guild’s activity ceases or if a guild fails to organize the expected events, they will lose the rights and benefits given.

7. There is no limit as to how many guilds can join the Octarchal Society for Progress and we will hold these contests periodically to allow new guilds to apply as well as old ones to try again.

8. Winning guilds will not lose their benefits as long as they stay active and abide by the contest's IC and OOC rules.

9. Guilds involved in unlawful or evil activities can apply but they must make sure their IC actions remain secret. Should they be discovered, they will have to face the consequences.

10. Oral presentations must be prepared with shortcuts to keep things in order. Not doing so will cost you presentation points.

11. The evaluation criteria is IC as well as OOC. In OOC terms:

• Originality: How fresh is this idea RP-wise?

• Functionality: How possible is it to pull off at the current stage of development?

• Potential: How many players will find this enjoyable and will it promote good roleplay? Will new players find it appealing?

• Presentation: How did they RP their presentation?

12. Representatives of the Octarchal Society for Progress will be gathering applications at different hours ingame starting this weekend. An OOC announcement will be made both in IRC and the forums. Submissions will only be received till January (Saturday) 24th. Once this stage is closed, the date of the release of the shortlist will be revealed, along with the interview dates and venue.

13. The GM and Settings Team may, without further notice, cancel or postpone the activities of the Octarchal Society for Progress if the objectives of the project are not met. This is an effort to promote RP and support RP oriented guilds and its success depends greatly on the community.

Use this thread to make all your questions regarding the process, the event, etc. Ask away.

Prolix

Re: [Event Q&A Thread] The Octarchal Society for Progress
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 01:49:14 am »
Could a one player guild qualify to win with a suitable idea? I realize that this would not be considered optimal, I just want to know if it is categorically ruled out.

Must the guild leader make the presentation or can he designate a proxy either within or outside the guild?

What is the time frame for fulfilling the requirements past which forfeiture is imposed.

Is regular basis weekly, bi-weekly, monthly generally speaking and or depends on the public assistance provided to the guild.

Will the Octarchal Society for Progress have public meetings as well as private ones, will they be in game, on irc or both.

Will winning guilds have seats on the board, a single representative for all or no representation.

Tuxide

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Banker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:01:31 am »
Is this farmable?  I mean can one person win all three slots with alt guilds?  Not that I would do it, but...

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 03:09:51 am »
Guilds? Does this refer to IC organisations or is one required to carry an OOC guild label over one's head :P? Besides that, can one apply multiple times for different ideas? Oh, may we even ask for anything that can be realised with reasonable effort? I love this idea.

Raekh

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 06:33:20 am »
Quote from: Donari
Does this refer to IC organisations or is one required to carry an OOC guild label over one's head
Quote from: Dajoji
All participating guilds must be settings-compliant in order to be considered.

However, I see some serious issues to come up, right with this point.. :P

All in all, fabulous idea!  \\o//

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:26:25 am »
Could a one player guild qualify to win with a suitable idea? I realize that this would not be considered optimal, I just want to know if it is categorically ruled out.
As long as you are able to provide opportunities of RP for the whole community and you can maintain your activity so that it does not feel like it's only one player, I see no problem in participating. However, you have to keep it up or your benefits as an OSP Guild will be removed.

Must the guild leader make the presentation or can he designate a proxy either within or outside the guild?
You are free to do your presentation as you please.

What is the time frame for fulfilling the requirements past which forfeiture is imposed. Is regular basis weekly, bi-weekly, monthly generally speaking and or depends on the public assistance provided to the guild.
That will depend on the proposal. If you are to hold, say, bake sales every week then that is what will be expected from you. Balance between frequency and feasibility is important. We don't expect your guild to do something every day but they must be constant and their presence must be felt both in-game and in the RP forum.

Will the Octarchal Society for Progress have public meetings as well as private ones, will they be in game, on irc or both.
Eventually, once we've done this a couple of times we'll see to hold major OSP events.

Will winning guilds have seats on the board, a single representative for all or no representation.
Ditto.

Is this farmable?  I mean can one person win all three slots with alt guilds?  Not that I would do it, but...
If you have three guilds and three different and great ideas to promote RP AND you can keep up with the number of hours you need to implement your proposals, then yes. You can use alt guilds. This is not something we're giving away for free. Players have to work hard to keep these benefits. We are not setting limits at this point but this could change if we find major flaws in the process.

Guilds? Does this refer to IC organisations or is one required to carry an OOC guild label over one's head :P? Besides that, can one apply multiple times for different ideas? Oh, may we even ask for anything that can be realised with reasonable effort? I love this idea.
IC Organizations are also allowed. This also allows Secret Guilds to participate. However, they must provide a list of members and people responsible for the organization of their activities.

However, I see some serious issues to come up, right with this point.. :P
This is an experimental thing. We will pull the plug if we see it will cause more harm than benefit. If you see flaws, please point them out so we can prevent major issues.

Prolix

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 11:12:51 am »
Thank you for the reply and this laudable initiative.

Will it be possible to contract for the services of a Society liaison officer (read GM or deputy) should the winning bidder plan activities that require official Octarchal authority. For example Octarchal guards to keep order at a guild run auction or eject players that refuse to leave the premises of a homeless shelter.

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 11:36:28 am »
That would be part of the logistics requirements you should specify in your proposal. If you are awarded membership to the OSP then what you asked for will be given or negotiated so you can run your events smoothly.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 12:43:35 pm »
To everyone who made up this kind of move -- Thank you!

This is a chance the Knowledge Seekers will take. There has never been a better chance for a university building.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Anumesa

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 01:02:55 pm »
This is SUCH a great idea!! Kudos to everyone who helped come up with this, this is exactly the kind of event that i would hope for to encourage roleplay (and possibly to give some of those more RP heavy guilds a chance for a house).
 \\o//

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 01:41:06 pm »
P.S.:

What is the recommended way to check the "settings compliance" of a guild (rule 3)?

I assume that rule is mainly included to avoid "nonsense guilds"... still, I am concerned about possible "subjective decisions", even if the probability is small.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Prolix

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 01:53:04 pm »
Hey I resemble that remark! My guild may be "nonsense" but it is still settings compliant.  ;D

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 05:56:27 pm »
P.S.:

What is the recommended way to check the "settings compliance" of a guild (rule 3)?

I assume that rule is mainly included to avoid "nonsense guilds"... still, I am concerned about possible "subjective decisions", even if the probability is small.

I suppose it is subjective to a degree but given what we know about Yliakum, it shouldn't be complicated to tell if a guild meets this requirement or not. It will not be only one person choosing the winners and half of the jury will be settings people so I think there won't be problems with that.

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 07:05:55 pm »
Just coming to post that this is an awesome idea. Really, I love it.  ;D
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 07:31:27 pm »
I have asked Dajoji to write a counter-event for outlaws to cover the wilds, so expect that also soon and know that we consider bad guys as well.