Author Topic: Usual, semi-annual complain  (Read 9049 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Usual, semi-annual complain
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2009, 10:34:22 pm »
we have many players in PS whose mothertongue isn't english. for some of these people, including myself, is it very hard to roleplay in english. I wish the complainers could keep this in mind before judging us all. we try hard not to break the rp-rules of PS. but you cannot await that we start a firework of high professional rp-talk for you. that would only be possible in our own mothertongue.

on the other hand: I know how it was 2 years ago at the gold mine: highly entertaining, groovy and full of life - with many players of different cultures like today. what has happened to PS that now places like the platinum mine are as silent as burial grounds and as boring as tv-primetime-news? I don't wanna answer this question in detail because then you would have me there where you wanna have me with this thread: in your trollish PVP.

kids, world is grey, not black and white. and I'm lesser interested in what you are posting here than I'm interested in how you can bring your personality and some tolerance/coolness back on Laanx.

Sorry but Mordraugion is right, this isn't about bad English, and while we are on the topic of what is being isn't being considered, keep in mind that some of the people with complaints are running player areas. That is more than a little bit of effort to bring personality to laanx.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:34:11 am by Illysia »

Akkaido Kivikar

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2009, 05:07:52 am »
It's guilds like the Warriors, Nexus, Wayward Kingdom, Prophets, Guardian merchants, etc. etc... that really degrade what roleplay is supposed to be.

I disagree. The Warriors were founded by an RPer who went on to join Settings, and they have good RPers among them. Like Grizzlyus, who stays IC at the mines, but gives off some good humour.

I agree Nexus, PoC, and the Guardian merchants are bad RPers.

Is Phaat still in Wayward Kingdom? He was an excellent RPer.

Akaiddo's message of the day: Don't judge a book by its cover, or a guild by it's name.

Rigwyn

« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2009, 08:59:25 am »

It seems the topic has drifted a bit from the original post which was basically a complaint about how so many players either do not roleplay at all - or who role play in such a way that they make themselves incompatible with other role players. I believe the bulk of the role playing flaws in question are:

A. Trying to control the role play  ( god modding, not letting the other player choose the outcome of your actions )
B. Not keeping OOC info and IC info separate   
C. Little to no awareness of the settings  ( which is expected for new players )
D. Refusal to accept correction or to understand how one may not be adhering to these concepts.

"D" is the biggest problem IMHO as one who is willing to learn will eventually be corrected and learn.

I really don't think that fluency in English or one's ability to write using fancy wording and complex sentences  are issues at all. 

Lastly, It would be nice to see an in-game reference or something on the help menu with these points explained in very few words - maybe just a few sentences per point. This way when there is a dispute about whether or not one's actions are incorrect - one could simply refer to this text as an official source.

Aiwendil

« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2009, 09:26:56 am »
Thanks Rigwyn. I for sure shouldn't complain about bad english. Everyone who played with me knows how bad my english and typing skills are. And I also don't want to argue which guild is a RP guild just because they have one or two players in them who RP at all. But my intention was also not to complain about players who do not RP at all. As long as they are not disruptive or keep messing around with others RPs I see no problem in those players. Sure, it's not nice if you try to talk to someone and don't get an answer at all. But that's nothing I get annoyed about.

I think the 4 points you made summarize it pretty well. Of course I know there will be always arguments what is godmodding and what not. But in case players don't do the mistake you mentioned as D it should be possible to deal with such problems in an OOC chat.

I can only agree that a ruleset for roleplaying on laanx would be a good idea. Something like the ruleset Lhaa posted here would give players the chance to point out what others do wrong in their opinion without getting stupid replies. And it would give players the chance to try to deal with some problems for themselves before they have to get in contact with a GM to ask for moderation.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2009, 12:12:02 pm »
Well there is always this little forgotten thing.... http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=34508.msg396263#msg396263  :whistling:

Aiwendil

« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2009, 01:52:04 pm »
Oh, I remember it Illysia. But I can't see anything about using OOC information in it. Or a explanation what is considered godmodding. Or something about respecting NPCs...an a lot more.

Roberra

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2009, 07:05:51 pm »
Something to think about. See sea, Hear here, would wood etc.......Our characters hear and do not read. Just something I've thought about for a while. Sorry slightly  :offtopic: but not really.

Bad english should be overlooked imo. As lonng as the generral message is gettings across. On purpose just to annoy might be a different matter though.

To be proactive in another way give this a shot http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=32697.0
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:12:48 pm by Roberra »

Aiwendil

« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2009, 10:05:31 am »
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=35576.msg407812#msg407812
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=35576.msg408516#msg408516

Oh, I should read the forum rules more often. ;)

Quote from: Rizin
These will be promptly deleted, as well as any one-word posts or posts consisting of smilies only. Posting for the sole reason of increasing your rank is not allowed.

• Post comments in threads for the purpose of drawing attention to another thread on a different subject.

But to not violate
Quote from: Rizin
  • “Bump” threads with no useful information or to keep them at the top of the list.
a few more words on rules for the laanx server. Right now we have these. The only rules I see there covering aspects of RP are [GAME POLICY 01] IC and OOC and [GAME POLICY 02] Naming Policy. All other rules only deal with OOC aspects like what is appropriate to say in main chat or how to format your character description. There isn't a single words in [GAME POLICY 10] Character Descriptions about not including the whole character background. And what does
Quote from: Dajoji
Overbearing OOC information regarding RL issues or problems with other players or guilds.
mean? At least half of the description should be IC? A few lines of OOC information are fine to tell others to send you a tell if they are offended by your RP?

And the rules that cover RP aspects are very interesting too. From the IC/OOC rule
Read the setting for official information about the world your character belongs to – and while your character can certainly come from another “plane” outside of it, don’t do something outrageous like try to bring in “RP” guns. Keep with the medieval fantasy atmosphere as much as you can.
Didn't some people from the settings team try to tell us for some time that ALL characters currently in Planeshift are born in Ylikaum? But maybe I got something wrong there.... Oh and obviously it's not forbidden in that rule to use all OOC infos from the forums and planeshift page. Seems it's fine to play a character who knows about Vodul or already all guilds, their politics and members.

Dajoji

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2009, 10:55:54 am »
Overbearing OOC information regarding RL issues or problems with other players or guilds.
[What does this] mean? At least half of the description should be IC? A few lines of OOC information are fine to tell others to send you a tell if they are offended by your RP?

Overbearing OOC information=when you use your character description window to make OOC entries about RL to the detriment of appropriate IC info, using it as some sort of blog rather than for the purpose it was intended. Like in the main channel, it is ok to make OOC entries but they should be limited to the minimum. Common sense should be common enough to avoid any extremes. Use the other guidelines in that post to make sure your description is ok. "A few lines of OOC information" related to your RP are, of course, acceptable.

And the rules that cover RP aspects are very interesting too. From the IC/OOC rule
Read the setting for official information about the world your character belongs to – and while your character can certainly come from another “plane” outside of it, don’t do something outrageous like try to bring in “RP” guns. Keep with the medieval fantasy atmosphere as much as you can.
Didn't some people from the settings team try to tell us for some time that ALL characters currently in Planeshift are born in Ylikaum? But maybe I got something wrong there.... Oh and obviously it's not forbidden in that rule to use all OOC infos from the forums and planeshift page. Seems it's fine to play a character who knows about Vodul or already all guilds, their politics and members.

Game policies are there to prevent OOC disruptive behavior. Bad RP is not punishable for the time being, hence the lack of reference to such behavior. Using information acquired through OOC channels as IC is regarded as bad RP and, as such, frowned upon. Earnest RPers should use their energy in trying to help those who still have a way to go in the RP area and are willing to learn.

RP may be enforced in Laanx in the future but there are still many things to consider before making any official rules. We have to consider that there's always a learning curve and that a RP server does not have to be a hostile one.

The IC/OOC rule has been updated to prevent any confusion now.