Author Topic: Physical Stamina Depletion  (Read 1714 times)

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Physical Stamina Depletion
« on: November 06, 2013, 05:03:28 am »
Depletes too fast.

Seriously. In real life, I can spar in full protective gear for at least 30 minutes, even after strenuous exercise. Without gear, I could probably go two hours. Constant sparring, with only 20-second-maximum breaks.

In PS, I feel like a morbidly obese, asthmatic walrus.

Y'all need to work out.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Physical Stamina Depletion
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 06:55:21 am »
Depletes too fast.

Seriously. In real life, I can spar in full protective gear for at least 30 minutes, even after strenuous exercise. Without gear, I could probably go two hours. Constant sparring, with only 20-second-maximum breaks.

In PS, I feel like a morbidly obese, asthmatic walrus.

Y'all need to work out.

thank you for the feedback but seriously there is no way you can spar with real steel for 30 minutes not even without chainmail. I know because I've been practicing medieval skirmish with medieval-like equipment.
Even unharmed combat like box cannot last more than a few minutes, same can be said for every other fighting discipline when you actually fight for real.

That said the aim of the stamina rule is more oriented toward balancing the fight with different types of weapons/equipment and different protection gear (armor) than aiming for a real life simulation.
Maybe the rule isn't perfect but I think the above goal is something very needed.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:51:48 am »
Depletes too fast.

Compared to what? On Earth? Who knows the gravity felt in the PS world. Oxygen  density? You are comparing apples and oranges. Those kind of things are totally up for interpretation and the only interpretation that really matters, in this case, is that of the devs.

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:41:21 am »
Based on the weight I can carry all the time in my inventory, gravity must be pretty much non-existent! We should be able to leap over the city walls with little effort if we carried nothing.  O--)  O--)  O--)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 12:55:18 pm »
Based on the weight I can carry all the time in my inventory, gravity must be pretty much non-existent! We should be able to leap over the city walls with little effort if we carried nothing.  O--)  O--)  O--)

Ssshh! Don't give him any ideas, now!  xD

bilbous

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 04:39:14 pm »
That used to be bound to the F key, keep pressing F and you could fly

Sulaika

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 05:02:03 pm »
I totally agree with Volki. And it isnt fun to duel anymore with stamina depletes so quick...
So I guess it would be better to delete all fighting abilities in this game, since people that liked to duel hate the system now. And it doesnt make sense anymore, cause the most people only rp fights nowadays anyway, since it is the sense of this game. And fighting skills that are over 100 can be leveled up only so slow, that it isnt fun anymore...and since the stamina depletes so quick, it is even harder...

Lumi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 05:36:03 pm »
(...)And it doesnt make sense anymore, cause the most people only rp fights nowadays anyway, since it is the sense of this game (...)
I am completly sure that when we do a PvP in this game it is also a "RP-fight" as we are completly ICly when we do so. RP-fight permit us to use "means" that aint implemented or not available by settings such as a particular spell or w/e. Thinking that PvP is OOC just because we are using "mechanic" of the game make no sense to me.

I also agree with Volki about the stamina. Not only about weapon combat but ALSO for mage whom mental stamina drop down way to fast.
Lumi is in her way of a complet mastership of the Azure Way, yet when she cast a basic Realm 3 spell her Mental Stamina drop terribly.
So even tho she is a master of the way and pretty well maxed the stat corresponding, she is unable to cast "easily" her magic ? This doesn't make sense. I agree to introduce "balance" but there is no "realism" in that either. "Realism"... what a bad word ! Realism toward WHAT anyways?
So or we decide that non KRAN are not natural to Yliakum magic and just struggle all their life long to use it, or we decide that those who reached Mastery, worked enough to deserve to use their "art" with ease.
If Blacksmith can achieve a 300q production and keep on doing 300q item then why a mage should drop to 50q in his efficiency at casting a spell?  :'(

This work for warriors aswell.
<*> The Way of the Hammer <*>

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 06:08:15 pm »
I notice the stamina drop too with dark way. at lv 130 with cha and most other stats maxed, I'll only get a few shots with animate shadows before my stamina is drained. I can work around this, so its not so bad. It basically means I need to attack, run, rest, rinse, lather, repeat. No more fighting like rockem sockem robots.

I'm curious as to whether this can increased the value of lighter armor?

When dueling, how does a player with maxed MA stand against one with maxed HA ?
It used to be that MA was useless and LA was only good as a first step.

Also, is there any advantage as using a character in HA as a tank, and those in MA to back him up?

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 06:24:14 pm »
thank you for the feedback but seriously there is no way you can spar with real steel for 30 minutes not even without chainmail. I know because I've been practicing medieval skirmish with medieval-like equipment.
Even unharmed combat like box cannot last more than a few minutes, same can be said for every other fighting discipline when you actually fight for real.

I was talking about without armor. Full protective gear in martial arts (equivalent in PS being melee) is probably leather armor.

Also, boxing cannot last more than a few minutes? lolwut? Sure, in matches. That's not the extent of what boxers can do, though.

You have no idea the kind of endurance actual fighters have if you think one would tire out in a few minutes.

That said the aim of the stamina rule is more oriented toward balancing the fight with different types of weapons/equipment and different protection gear (armor) than aiming for a real life simulation.
Maybe the rule isn't perfect but I think the above goal is something very needed.

It is not needed. Find another way to balance. Just yesterday, I stripped my character of armor and had her attack a training dummy. She couldn't go for longer than a couple minutes. Her physical stats are either maximum or very close to maximum. Melee skill is at least 120. Attacking at normal.

I can't even imagine how bad duels are now.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Taya

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 07:19:29 pm »
As a player, I have to say I am not a fan of the stamina system. I originally had high hopes for it, but once I saw it in practice, well... I used to enjoy leveling skills. I found it sort of relaxing. It's mostly been commitments outside of PS keeping me from the game, but due to stamina, the truth is that I have no intention of leveling again once I have the time.

My main issue is with mental stamina (though I don't like the physical stamina either). The problem is, as you level you cast spells more quickly. And the quicker you cast spells, the quicker you lose stamina, so that once you get into the high levels you have to pause so frequently that you are left thinking there was never any point in leveling at all. I don't feel it's realistic that a mage who has increased their skill to cast faster would need more breaks in the same amount of time as a result and I feel, in the very least, the stamina cost of spells should be reduced as you gain levels.

As Rigwyn has observed, r5 spells (like animate shadow) drain stamina very quickly.   Lumi has observed this even at r3. (From my previous experiments, up to r2 seems tolerable and then it quickly gets ughy.)

I have nothing against stamina as a concept, but I currently feel the effects of it are much too intense. It interferes too much with enjoyment.

---

As a dev, all I can say is that there is still discussion going on but no guarantee of changes. It'll probably get more attention after the next release, and hearing more people's opinions would definitely be helpful, be those opinions for or against the way stamina currently works.

bilbous

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 08:13:26 pm »
what is that stamina replenishing spell again? maybe it needs to be bumped up a bit... kind of need a masochistic streak to use it, though.
then again you don't really need anything stronger than energy arrow to kill things, sure some critters resist crystal but flying stones is good too.
What do you need realm 5 spells for anyway, killing Guile?

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 08:17:47 pm »
IIRC stamina was introduced because there was no tradeoff for using different armor types.  Having heavier armor drain stamina faster was a way to give people who use LA an edge since they are at such a disadvantage in terms of protection.  It's the most realistic way of doing it.  Maybe the formulas should be tweaked but the basic idea is sound.

I'm not sure why armor drains mental stamina though.  Does it take more concentration to cast spells in chainmail than a robe?

For those of you complaining about having to take breaks during training: You guys know you can buy stamina restoring potions, right?

You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 08:23:25 pm »
Yes, for killing Guile! I had to use enchanted armor for protection against her spells as my mental stamina was draining too fast and she would kill me even though I was doing much more damage to her than she was to me. Maybe npc's need their stamina to drain like ours.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 08:32:41 pm »
IIRC stamina was introduced because there was no tradeoff for using different armor types.  Having heavier armor drain stamina faster was a way to give people who use LA an edge since they are at such a disadvantage in terms of protection.  It's the most realistic way of doing it.  Maybe the formulas should be tweaked but the basic idea is sound.

I'm not sure why armor drains mental stamina though.  Does it take more concentration to cast spells in chainmail than a robe?

For those of you complaining about having to take breaks during training: You guys know you can buy stamina restoring potions, right?

Potions are indeed one way of doing this. This is getting a little spoiler-ish.

On the spell casting side, things to look at include spell/realm, related stats and skill, distance, casting time, effectiveness... Its kind of hard to do a fair comparison without including all of these details.

We should ask not just, "Is it good for me, personally", but also, is the system as a whole fair for everyone. Is it balanced when dueling mage vs non-mage, is it effective when fighting player vs npc