Author Topic: Anything CB Related (FAQ) & Discussion:  (Read 29168 times)

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Anything CB Related (FAQ) & Discussion:
« on: August 21, 2004, 10:34:43 am »
Q: when will CB come out?
A: As it has been said before so many times ?Not even the devs know or have set up a release date?? so just wait like the rest of us?

Q: How large will CB be when it is released?
A: Androgos: \"My guess would be 300-380MB\" see:http://planeshift.oodlz.com/wbboard/thread.php?threadid=9923&boardid=13&page=1

* Ok, I am setting up this thread (which may be updated later when I have more time) to prevent some or the Threads associated with this subject, if you want to discuss anything CB you can post it here *

* To the mods: you can just point CB posters to this thread & close the thread immediately *

* Post a question or previously asked Question/Answer here & I can add it to this Faq. Also please make sure the question hasn\'t been answered already before you post. *

I\'d also like to say that this should be kept a FAQ only, and not a discussion thread. If you want to discuss some of the Q/A\'s here, do it with the person who posted it, and through PMs. Otherwise we will have a thread where it is impossible to look for the useful new additions because of all the spam and generally useless posts. - Gronomist

Edit: To Gronomist (from Zeraph): I was going to update the first post with valuable info but I guess a Faq Only is less confusing, although I feel that some new people may feel there question has not been answered & post another topic asking again anyway?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 11:20:27 am by Zeraph »

CB Characters: Zeph Waterfox & Zeraph Waterfox MB: Zph

Androgos

(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 10:53:57 am »
Q: Will CB contain all the races?
A: No, not for a start.

Q: Will Klyros be there?
A: No, but it will probably be added in an update
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 10:54:38 am by Androgos »

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 11:07:44 am »
 #acraig notes#
 #Venge notes#

Q: Free to play?
A: Yes.

Q: Will there be magic and fighting?
A: Yes. .  #In a limited form. ie not the true vision we have for them#

Q: How often will CB be updated?
A: It will be updated very frequently through the updater program, not like the MB version where you currently have had to wait over a year for a new version. Should be at least one update per week, if not more.  I would say we should have sub-weekly updates initially while we are hitting lots of bugs, but new feature releases will probably be more like every month or two once the bug patches slow down.

Q: How big is CB?
A: Very big compared to the previous versions.  I think the download will be about 200MB.

Q: Is there still lag?
A: The NR (new renderer) has reduced the amount of graphical lag which people have been complaining about, a lot. But yes, it might run slow, but not as slow as before.#Really depends on hardware. We need to develop a better database of hardware vs performance.#
We have also added adaptive far plane clipping now, so the client seeks to keep FPS within a certain range you specify.  It doesn\'t look ideal but for people with older hardware, it\'s probably way ahead of lag.:-)

Q: Will some people still need to wait 1+ hours to start the game?
A: Hopefully that should have been fixed. It was caused by some lightmapping that wasn\'t accepted by some computers, so it thought it had to remake it all #Plus there was some really bad memory management in windows that caused a really slow load time.  Is better now.#

\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

SkwirlDude

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 02:42:20 pm »
Sorry to interupt the FAQ, but this needs to be stickied. Delete this post if you deem necessary.

[Edit by Mogura: Thread stickied. :) Do not post on this thread unless you have a Q/A to add to the FAQ, or it will be deleted.]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 03:12:02 pm by SkwirlDude »
Because im new doesn\'t make me a N00B..., well ok it does.

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 05:39:15 pm »
Q: What races will be included in the initial CB release?
Originally posted by Main Site News 2004.08.25
This is the \"final\" list of the models that will be present in the first CB release, more will come later: ylian male, dermorian male, stonebreaker male, stonebreaker female, kran, ynnwn male, ynnwn female, enkidukai male, enkidukai female.

CB Characters: Zeph Waterfox & Zeraph Waterfox MB: Zph

icebr4kr

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 06:01:33 pm »
Q: Can I have multiple characters?
A: Yes, you can have up to 4 different characters in one account.

Q: What new areas will be included?
A: From what we can tell, Hydlaa will be expanded, there will be Ojaveda (home of the Enkidukai), and the Death Realm.

Q: How will I be able to change races when a new one is added in an update?
A: You will have to delete the character and recreate it, hoping no one gets it in the middle.

Q: Will my crystals be converted to tria (currency used in CB and beyond)?
A: Yes, but we are not 100% sure this will happen due to the recent cheating and player complaints. There is a migration script already prepared.

Q: Will there be a mac version?
A: Yes, dfryer has been working hard on this and it should be available when CB comes out, or shortly after.

Komie

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 08:02:57 pm »
sorry if this has already been answered...but will Weapons transfer over to the new version??

Respect List: (In Game)[/B][/U]
1. Dixie
2. Agara

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 07:47:33 am »
No they won\'t but you can go sell them at http://planeshift.fragnetics.com/merchant/merchantsell.html and retrieve your crystals which may or may not be transfered.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Androgos

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2004, 05:47:05 am »
Q: Will the linkdead problem be fixed in CB?

A: Probably, the whole char creation has been remade. We haven\'t seen the message this far
Now on the connect screen, you will see a list of available servers and a ping-time shown next to each one.  If the ping doesn\'t work then it says \"fail\".  If you get this, you cannot connect, so the ambiguity where it looks like you are connecting and says \"linkdead\" but really you were never connected should be much more clear.

JoeyB13

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 10:42:24 pm »
Q: Why have some races that you can use in MB be not available in CB?

A: The models in Molecular Blue are of a different format then the ones in CB.

The game engine (Crystal Space) Had a change in model types (From SPR to Cal3D) which there was no converter for, So the models had to be made from scratch.
Some (Most) were able to be recreated, While there were a few (Female Dermorians for example) were left out to save time on the next Tech-Release (Crystal Blue) But they also added some new models so that we could stay happy.

More models (Along with more features) will be added in future updates and releases.

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 05:53:04 pm »
Q: Will there be a character wipe?

A: Yes, all characters will be deleted. However, there will most likely be some sort of online form where you can reserve your character name and guild name.

jorrit

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2004, 06:53:22 am »
Originally posted by JoeyB13
The game engine (Crystal Space) Had a change in model types (From SPR to Cal3D) which there was no converter for, So the models had to be made from scratch.

This is only half accurate. The old models which were in use by MB (spr3d) are still available in Crystal Space. PS decided to go to the new sprcal3d models because they offer a lot more animation possibilities (with a lot less memory usage). Using the old models together with the new sprcal3d models is not a real option because the animation system is really based on the new system now.

Greetings,
Project Manager of Crystal Space, CEL, CrystalBlend and Crystal Core. Please support Crystal Space with a donation.

FESFES

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2004, 04:15:00 pm »
Q: I would like to know if that means that the graphics will be better in CB. (not that the graphics dont already pwn any mmorpg :D)

A: The graphics wont necessarily be better, they will just have more opportunities with the models. - Gronomist
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 05:20:33 pm by FESFES »

It is easier to hate than it is to love.

jorrit

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2004, 12:50:08 pm »
Originally posted by FESFES
Q: I would like to know if that means that the graphics will be better in CB. (not that the graphics dont already pwn any mmorpg :D)

A: The graphics wont necessarily be better, they will just have more opportunities with the models. - Gronomist

Also in the future the new renderer system that is in CS will allow us to improve graphics even more.

Greetings,
Project Manager of Crystal Space, CEL, CrystalBlend and Crystal Core. Please support Crystal Space with a donation.

Barugon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2004, 01:03:05 am »
Q. Will I be able to build CB for an AMD64/Linux system?
Two words: \"make menuconfig\"!