Author Topic: Cheating is for Losers!  (Read 656 times)

Harwen

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Cheating is for Losers!
« on: August 29, 2004, 01:40:47 pm »
Great job you guys, I mean It always freshens my gaming spirit to see hackers get caught. The shameless rapscallions :D

I think that people who\'s lives are so cheap that they have to cheapen escapism are really sad.

All and all I also wanted to say great job on CB\'s progress, I\'m really excited :D !!

faldrok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2004, 02:25:03 pm »
Yea, it is a good feeling to see them caught, then destroyed. :P But, it sux that it had to come this-the Devs adding a new section about cheating to the site. I guess there never can be a community that is cheater-free. I thought this one was going to be this way, but you always get the occasional jerk/idiot. Oh well...

Keep up the good work, Devs! ;)

SaintNuclear

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 02:42:30 pm »
It says on that page that modding the clinet is considered cheating. What if I make a mod that, for example, switches the locations of the diffrent buttons in the top of the screen. Is that cheating? I doubt it.
And what if I make a mod that adds an IRC open to the PS chat? It can\'t be considered as cheating either.

Another thing, it says on that page that cheaters will be IP-banned. I think that whenever a cheater is IP-banned, just banning him isn\'t enough. His IP should be stored for future reference. If another cheater is found, that uses an IP that is only diffrent by a bit, it might mean that it\'s the same person. If after looking a bit deeper it\'s obvious that it\'s the same cheater that uses a diffrent IP, his ISP\'s abuse department should be contacted. Since cheating is against the TOS, they will probebly stop giving him service. If they won\'t, tell them you\'re range-banning all of their IPs. They\'ll probebly stop his service because they wouldn\'t want their customers to go to another ISP that PS doesn\'t ban.
An ISP that insists on not cutting the service of the cheater will be range-banned, and whoever tries to access PS using this range will get a nice message that says:
Your Internet Service Provider was banned from PlaneShift because they allowed illegal activity to be performed toward PlaneShift servers.
You might want to switch to a better ISP, and if not, bug them on the phone.

>:)
September 23rd, 2004 19:52:38 UTC
<+Grakrim> I have a legal copy of Windows XP Pro.

October 19th, 2004 24:43:02 UTC
I have copies of [Windows] 3.1, 3.11, 95, and 98, too. Not to mention various versions of MS-DOS

Andycornell

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 02:50:28 pm »
ok, this is maybe wrong but:

Many internet users have dynamic ip, for example, my friend wich use the same dsl provider as me got my old ip when i changed, so wouldent banning ip adresses (in some cases) damage for someone else than the hacker? and a good hacker would probobly just use a ghost ip anyway. well i am n ot sure and devs have ofcourse considered it too?

sorry if i am wrong... if so, start flame me :P

theRealGorbulas

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 03:07:40 pm »
Modding most certainly is not blocked by the Planeshift license. Moddifying art files is, but you can overwrite them with new ones. Planeshift\'s code is under the GPL, and the artwork may only be used with the official server, so any modding that doesn\'t change an existing art file is legal as long as it is still Planeshift. If I were to make my own servers that were not on the official list and make a client that can only connect to those servers it would be illegal, but as long as it is only connecting to Planeshift servers you can still use the real Planeshift artwork.
Cheating should not be allowed, but what is the point of a free, open-source MMORPG if you can\'t modify anything?

I am also not welcome to participate in development(or any good at art or level design).

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 03:37:56 pm »
hmm, I\'m on a wireless connection, so if anyone else on this were to be ip banned...I would be banned as well.

I hate Texas.

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 03:56:05 pm »
Alright, we already have one big thread for newsdiscussion. Please use that instead.
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"