Author Topic: How I Like Planeshift  (Read 1313 times)

Mezasa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • tefrik.net
How I Like Planeshift
« on: September 22, 2004, 11:54:49 pm »
I just realized how cool it is to have a game that\'s not a MMORPG, but just a MORPG. The Mass is good, but I like the small community whilst in game. It\'s like a small town. It would be really cool if the devs could make little vilages, for people like me, and Big Cities, for people who like MASS people. Sure, I don\'t mind a lot, but it\'s really fun to have like a small town, all communicating. In the game that shall not be named, I have never just, well, talked. Planeshift, while some may find lacking, I find to be wonderful. Sure quests and leveling will be cool, but I rather enjoy this peaceful time before THOUSANDS of people come in and make everything, non-talkish.

Maybe you guys don\'t know what I\'m talking about, maybe you do. I just like the small community, not the thousands, but never really communicate, thing.
X2 3800+ (2.5GHz) | eVGA 7900GT (500/1500) | 2GB XMS (210MHz)
Audigy2 ZS | A8N SLI Premium | 250GB SATAII | TT Tsunami

kastirin

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 12:27:50 am »
I know what you mean - and talking is, IMO, the essence of roleplaying. In the MMO games I\'ve sampled, noone much talks while \'level grinding\' or doing boring, repetitive tasks - both things which I think the devs are trying to have us avoid :)
How much roleplaying (or even just chatting) is usually up to the player though - I\'ve had some great roleplaying experiences in the game-which-shall-not-be-named, believe it or not.

FESFES

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 12:37:00 am »
Maybe an area for all the pre-CB people? :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 12:37:09 am by FESFES »

It is easier to hate than it is to love.

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 09:07:57 am »
Yeah, but what if you\'re a roleplayer who only joined after CB? You\'d be pretty annoyed that you couldn\'t get in. There\'s also many non-roleplayers in the community right now- they would have access to the pre-CB area, which imo nullifies the purpose of it completely. :P

Anyways, Mezasa, I think that sounds awesome. But people will tend to congregate in the most populated cities, usually the \'newbie starting city\', or anywhere with tonnes of shops and an open marketplace where they can spam their \"S>Blade of Doom +7\" messages.

On the other hand, small groups of roleplayers tend to find quiet gathering areas away from the gaming crowd. In PS, this is usually the temple or Kada\'s tavern. People go there to just chat together in a small group, whilst others just run past on their way to frantically gather crystals to buy a mug (usually not for roleplaying, but just to look \"leet\").

Of course, they will on occasion be disturbed by newbies approaching with OOC questions. This is completely unavoidable in any game, and you can hardly call it a show-stopper. Just send him a quick /tell explaining that you\'re all roleplaying, perhaps answer his question, and even ask him to join in.

Hmmm, where was I... I think I forgot the point of what I was writing, lol. :) Oh ya... basically I think this will happen anyway. All we need is for the devs to give detail to cities and include places solely for RP purposes. That way, those places are avoided by powerlevelers, yet loved by roleplayers, and thus creating little communities centered in those areas.

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2004, 09:59:40 am »
The game is semi-real?stic.. There are billions of people in the world who you never talk to, and never will, but they\'re still there nonetheless.. You can\'t just rule them out because you want to have a close knit society. If that is what you want, all you have to do is create, or join, a guild which is a close knit society within a world of billions..

hook

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Hook's Humble Homepage
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2004, 02:54:17 pm »
I don\'t know ...I\'d like to keep PlaneShift as a role-playing game ...maybe I\'m a bit too idealistic, but that\'s just how I am.

I don\'t see any reason, why someone can\'t be power hungry and just kill monsters in PS - as long as they play it as a role (with name, history and all) ...playing a role of a asocial hunter is ok with me, but being an asocial idiot and just playing the exp. game is what I despise. :(

Even in real-life there\'s powerhungry people ...but thy don\'t run around with names like teh 3v|L l337 I>|_|d3, screaming \"w00t w00t, |-|3y d0od, |_00|<, n00|3zz!!!\", killing a friendly newcommer, ass-raping him and then steal his inventory ...that\'s just sad ;( (and sick ...of course!) ...there\'s no place for such people in PS, I hope.

But I have no problem with someone telling me \"I have no time to chatter with such puny folk. I\'m off to fight some monsters.\", pulling out a huge glittering sword and making a stand against a horde of ferocious beast, and later skinning them to sell their hides to buy new chandeliers (or gods know what)
:emerald: The Treecastle *will* stand !!! :emerald:

in-game name: Seeln

Mezasa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • tefrik.net
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2004, 04:13:11 pm »
Well, in a lot of so-called MMORPGs, joining a clan requires you to be over certain level, and is usually all about leveling. Like, in the-game-tha...(ah screw it) most clans are all about being higher level than another clan. In a lot of games, there is an \"Uber\" weapon. I would like to see many styles of weapons in PS. Sort of like Diablo 2\'s weapon system, it\'s excellent. Rarely do you find the exact same weapon in D2, and that\'s one of the aspects I like about it. The problem with D2 though, is it\'s all about INFINITE FREAKING BAAL RUNS! It\'s ok to be high level, but I don\'t like killing [insert boss here] 1000000 times just to level.

There is nothing wrong with leveling, but I hope the devs can control it somehow.

Moogie, I know there are social gathering places and stuff. I want small towns. A little town with a small smithy, maybe a lake for fishing, and a gate that needs protecting. Sure there will be trips to the \"Big City\", but maybe have little country villages, where the players can establish cottages, and make stores. I know it would be hard to have player stores and house, especially on a free game, but Ultima Online did it, why can\'t PS?

It would be great to just take the best features from every other MMORPG, and make them better. I know it\'s a free game, and later when I get better at, well, programming or graphics design, I can help.

Whoa, I typed a lot...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 04:13:51 pm by Mezasa »

Parts

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2004, 06:33:15 pm »
While you\'re at it, how about a grudge-match arena purely for everyone who has ever been in the forums ;)
The all new: bounce-gaming.net

FESFES

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2004, 06:47:20 pm »
Originally posted by Mogura
Of course, they will on occasion be disturbed by newbies approaching with OOC questions. This is completely unavoidable in any game, and you can hardly call it a show-stopper. Just send him a quick /tell explaining that you\'re all roleplaying, perhaps answer his question, and even ask him to join in.

Or poke a sowrd on the swabbers back and walk him to X\'s guide. Arr...
PS good job with the guide :)

Originally posted by Mogura
Hmmm, where was I... I think I forgot the point of what I was writing, lol. :) Oh ya... basically I think this will happen anyway. All we need is for the devs to give detail to cities and include places solely for RP purposes. That way, those places are avoided by powerlevelers, yet loved by roleplayers, and thus creating little communities centered in those areas.

Hmm speaking of citys. Is the newb city going to be the \"main\" city? Because its horrable when youre new and a buch of people jump you like you\'re fresh meat.  Maybe somthing like RoE? Just please.... dont make the newb city big.

It is easier to hate than it is to love.

aza

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 07:22:09 pm »
Mezasa, I\'m thinking the same about planeshift. A lot of mmorpgs have the aim to take the best features of each mmorpg and make it better. But maybe it\'s better to concentrate on some features which will make the game unique. That can preserve for the M in mmorpg and keep the community as it is.
Just what I think :) .
just new here :)

\"Because ten billion years\' time is so fragile, so ephemeral... it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness.\"

Trober

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 07:27:23 pm »
I agree about the Newb City size, or maybe make it so that within a certain distance of cities you can\'t attack other players...
\"I\'ll carry your books, I\'ll carry a tune, I\'ll carry on, carry over, carry forward, Cary Grant, cash & carry, Carry Me Back To Old Virginia, I\'ll even Hari Kari if you show me how, but I will not carry a gun.\" -Hawkeye, M*A*S*H

Nanuke

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 07:38:44 pm »
yes but in RoE the spammer sellers could just stand swarming the adventures guild or kaj blood and etc..
maybe have it so after your done with newbie zone you can\'t go back till for oh so many minutes and you cant  stay for ever or no saying sentence more than 2 times like in RyL(a ok game) im confuuseing myself never mind
hopfully a soon to be member of the Arcane Order :]

Levski

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 08:12:18 pm »
I hope to have villages and cities in realistic proportions, as in a city isn\'t just a main square and about 4 houses.  That\'s a village, not even that....
Ingame name:  Nuv Cerdyn  ~   Member of: The Blitzers Guild

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 08:12:43 pm »
RyL is a really cool game :) my friend was like one of the top 10 people in tha game before he quit
Lol Internet

Mezasa

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • tefrik.net
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 09:48:49 pm »
Most MMORPGs don\'t have player houses/shops, and I think that is very important in making it even more realistic. Of course, you can\'t have a \"super shop\" either, that would defeat the purpose. I think the dev\'s could like put a limit on how big your shop could actually be. That way the \"uber rich\" people can\'t just go to a small village and destroy everyone. Sure, that\'s part of life, but it sure isn\'t any fun...

The thing I would really love though, would be wars. I mean, this village doesn\'t like this village, so they fight it out. What would be even cooler is have mayors! Say elect people every 2 months or so. If the people vote in a bad mayor, well, it\'s like real life. Bad things can happen. Sure, I\'m probably dreaming, but what would be better than having a war with neiboring cities!? Also, PvP should be restricted, but only in cities. Out of cities should be open slaying, but have it so the \"power levelers\" can\'t attack the weaker people. Say like, you have to be withing ** many levels to attack. Man, I wish I could program, I would love to help do this stuff.