Author Topic: GuildWars - World Preview Event!  (Read 1838 times)

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
GuildWars - World Preview Event!
« on: October 16, 2004, 01:29:57 am »

The GuildWars WPE is nearly upon us!

Don\'t know what I\'m talking about?
Get informed at GuildWars.com

Download the Client  (a mere 62 KB zipped)

Do you need a reason to play GuildWars?
Here are some:
- it\'s a free 3 day preview. you have nothing to lose.
- there will never be a monthly fee for this game
- there are no servers or \"shards\" to separate you from your friends.  This way you will truly know that you are the best in the world.
- streaming technology allows the client to be small and updates & patches to be fast.  This means they can change the game world in an instant... as you might see during this preview event on Halloween ;)
- load up the client right now and see how amazing the in-game graphics are on the login screen!  Yes, that really is the in-game graphic engine!

Anyway, as you might be able to tell, I\'m pretty excited about the whole thing.  GW has fixed every problem that I\'ve ever had with MMO\'s, and I\'ve had quite a bit (just check my This is Why EQ Sucks  thread). :)

Hope to see you all there October 29th-31st! :))

Thinking of pre-ordering the game (as I already have)?  You can get one of five in-game bonus items  depending on where you pre-order.  The pre-order also reserves you a spot in their beta weekend events.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 02:25:09 am by Abemore »

Awaiting Invite from the Ordo Illuminatis.

Before you criticize someone, remember to walk a mile in their shoes...
...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

Syzerian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 03:17:51 am »
Awesome!
Im going to have to check this out seeing as guild wars is my back up if CB doesnt work. Now I just need to remember to not forget about this.

Entamis

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 06:28:41 am »
Sounds promising. The only thing that troubles me is \"...the game constantly and intelligently streams new content to your computer in the background while you play...\"
I have a bad connection and lag in almost every game, and if it wants to load something in the background.. ouch.

EDIT: There won\'t be a monthly fee, but \"additional chapters\". Second ouch.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 07:43:25 am by Entamis »

WiseKran

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 02:06:39 pm »
Unfortunatly i miised the first event. but i have the client and i dont plan to be missing this one :P

i am definatly looking forward to the release, the game looks very promising.

Farewell Moogie, Farewell Draklar, Farewell Drey. you will be missed.

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 03:26:53 pm »
I have it installed and ready to go lol, been waiting since they announced this event :P

Nanuke

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 08:46:36 pm »
I\'ve been keeping tabs on this game for quite awhile and it looks like a good investment from the newest video out
http://www.guildwars.com/gallery/movies/default.html

:]
hopfully a soon to be member of the Arcane Order :]

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 02:49:26 pm »
Bleh I am just stoping myself from preordering it....but I get the bow from EB....must...resist....
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Edix

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 04:54:14 pm »
Originally posted by Entamis
Sounds promising. The only thing that troubles me is \"...the game constantly and intelligently streams new content to your computer in the background while you play...\"
I have a bad connection and lag in almost every game, and if it wants to load something in the background.. ouch.

EDIT: There won\'t be a monthly fee, but \"additional chapters\". Second ouch.

I played on 56k, and believe you me there is NO LAG in this game. The only time you will have to \"wait\" around doing nothing  is that when you first enter an arrea/mission for the frist time you will be streamed the data for it - after that you dont need to be streamed data because you already have it, only the \"normal\" streamed data assosiated with games like this will be streamed to you for that area. Updates are streamed in the background when your not useing the bandwidth - or when you frist log in.

Additional chapters are released at the rate of 6-9 months - you do not have to buy thies chapters and you can still play with people who do buy them - no you cant play in the added/new areas - but you can still be compeditive - because guildwars isnt about time spent - but the skill YOU have.

If you do the math, 6-9 months is about 10$ or less a month. Chapters should only cost about 40$-$60. And they will not just be *updates* but rather a full game addon. It would be just like buying a new game with full content.

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 06:09:28 pm »
Thanks for using your first post to make that point, Edix ;)

Let me add that GW will be selling for $50 US.  So I would estimate the expansions (chapters) being no more than $30-$50 each (leaning more toward $30).  That\'s $3.33-$8.33 per month if you want to look at it that way, which I don\'t because the chapters are optional and you could buy them at any time, or you could skip some chapters and buy just those that interest you, or not buy any at all.

Here is a GuildWars comic and writeup.  The comic could be applied to any game, but the writeup is very specific and quite comprehensive.  Give it a read.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2004, 10:57:44 pm by Abemore »

...then when you criticize them, you\'ll be a mile away ...and you\'ll have their shoes.

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 06:58:30 pm »
I\'m definitely going to be a part of this, probably going to play this instead of PS after I have exhausted CB, or until PS gets to be better then Guildwars, Which is sure to be inevitable.

CB Characters: Zeph Waterfox & Zeraph Waterfox MB: Zph

fireofsoul

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 09:57:35 pm »
*Downloads the mega huge client*

Abemore

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 03:04:13 am »
The event is this weekend you unenthusiastic majority.

Here is a guide to help you get started at the WPE.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 03:35:03 am by Abemore »

fireofsoul

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 03:47:55 am »
im ready for this.. counts down the days
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 03:49:50 am by fireofsoul »

John_Thazer

• Hydlaa Notable
  • From the ivory tower, I gaze upon thee
    • View Profile
    • Chaotic Warriors
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 07:54:48 am »
This does look promising...hm...but any fees...are too much for me...well if this month\'s eBay selling is good...who knows?

You can try, but you shall fail! Seek us not, we shall find you.

Kuiper7986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 09:53:45 am »
Yeah its cool. I was playing Guild Wards during \"E3 for Everyone\" event. It doesn\'t lag on dialup but it takes a very long time to load zones...I was a Monk/Mesmer so basically I was a support unit, which I like and enjoy doing very much.
My name is NOT pronounced, \"Kway-per,\" it\'s pronounced \"Kye-per.\"