Author Topic: What's your favourite OS  (Read 4055 times)

Slatz

• Traveller
    • View Profile
What's your favourite OS
« on: November 09, 2004, 05:40:26 pm »
What is your favourit Operating System? Mine, personally, is any of the GNU/Linux variants, with Mac OS X at a (very) close second..
What about everyone else? What\'s your preferred OS?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 05:50:39 pm by Slatz »
I shall deliver oblivion\'s unforgiving wrath to those who threaten the Lady Natrina and the Bloodclaw High Council...
Slatz, Recruit in Bloodclaw Inc.

Syzerian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 05:58:36 pm »
Not Windows.

Slatz

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 06:11:45 pm »
lol, i agree.. although i cant seem to get away from it :s
I shall deliver oblivion\'s unforgiving wrath to those who threaten the Lady Natrina and the Bloodclaw High Council...

Enter_the_Xero

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 06:13:57 pm »
Windows XP
Cuz\' all my games are fer a Windows sytem...

Harkin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 06:17:55 pm »
I liked mandrake linux, but have to stick with XP cause of not many games are on linux... once this game gets further down the line, and since it has a linux client... i may go back over... windows just sucks
I am just a figment of you imagination and a byproduct of the worse accident ever... ... or so my mommy says!
Imagine your life ripped to hundreds of shreds, then think about how you just stepped in poo, welcome to my world.

-Scott

Boldstorm

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 06:46:35 pm »
Anything Linux..
Otherwise if it\'s for the non compatible linux stuff
Windows XP Pro or Windows 2000 Pro (only for the gaming though)

XpYtZ

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 03:09:05 am »
While I use windows XP on a daily basis, my personal preference is Mac.\'s OS\"X\" mainly because it looks great is UNIX based and can actualy be hacked (loosly used) to work on Intel/AMD procesors. I also learned to use computers on a Mac. so I am partial.

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 04:22:39 am »
Originally posted by Syzerian
Not Windows.

Although I tried only linux of those. Awesome enough for me!  8)  :D
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

Annah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 05:47:52 am »
Well, don\'t laugh but my fav. os is \"Windows Server 2003 - Enterprise Edition\". It\'s very stable, works very good with internet/networks and it\'s also great with games :)
 As for the open source part, Debian rocks :D
- Black Order -

Phinehas

(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 05:48:38 am »
*shoots all Mac lovers*

*ahem*

I really want to like Linux, but I\'d have to learn it first, and I\'ve not been up to that these days, so I\'m going to have to say... DOS!!! :P Windows XP actually.

Ghostslayer

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 09:28:17 am »
Originally posted by Annah
Well, don\'t laugh but my fav. os is \"Windows Server 2003 - Enterprise Edition\".

My brother is running Win 2k3 Server as well... it seems to run very well, especially after the settings are tweaked.

Originally posted by Phinehas
I\'m going to have to say... DOS!!!

Which version? ;)

Anyway, my favorite windows operating system so far that I\'ve used is Windows 2000 Server/Pro, primarily due to the speed and stability.  Starting to foget what a BSOD looks like :P
One of these days I\'ll have to set up a dual boot and try out a linux distro seriously.  Set up a few, but never seriously looked into what it could do.
Blitzers Guild
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.

Slatz

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 09:49:20 am »
I prefer Richard Stallmans usage of the words \'free software\' over the newer \'open source\'.. but thats another subject..
And i think just because windows exists, it has become the most popular target for viruses/hacks/etc... think about it, whens the last time you heard about a virus hitting a unix server? usually its just a macro or something designed to infect your \'address book\' and send copies of itself via messages through Outlook to everyone.. and do the same on their computer...
Anywho.. im going with Stallmans idea of getting rid of all proprietary software, but not to the extreme as he has.. not yet anyway, i just cant afford to get rid of some things yet.. give it several months, then we\'ll see..
If anyone is interested in the link to Richard Stallmans site, unless you already know it, pm me.. i dont think im allowed posting other sites on these boards..^^

Annah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 10:12:18 am »
.. \\o/ .. Slatz. You\'re ... err, weird. :D
 And who says you\'re not allowed to post others sites? Post it! :P
 Ghostslayer:
 \"Anyway, my favorite windows operating system so far that I\'ve used is Windows 2000 Server/Pro, primarily due to the speed and stability.\"
 Isn\'t Win Server 2k3 an improved version of Win 2k? :P
- Black Order -

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 02:43:12 pm »
Mac System 7.0 (or maybe 6.0.8) where there was a message in the \"System\" file saying \"help, help, we\'re being held prisoner in a system software factory\"  and something about ordering Pizza.  

Everything was a lot more simple back then, which was nice.  Now I use OS X, and enjoy it greatly.  Win XP & 2K aren\'t too bad, but certainly not my platform of choice.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Adeli

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 03:20:51 pm »
I agree with \"not windows\"
Although this box is running XP. It\'s my brother\'s and he has a lot of XP reliant games.
Every time I get a BSOD, I want to burn his computer. He knows nothing about compatability or anything, he has all these conflicts and just leaves them... I\'m not allowed to alter stuff.

I really want to learn Linux though. When I get my own I will probably dual it, so I can have games.
How do you decide which Linux is best suited?

I like Red Jelly Beans!