Author Topic: Xacha Female  (Read 1634 times)

Frarda

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2004, 12:49:09 am »
I KNOW I read a thread somewhere that said character models were about 1k, 2k max but only if you were going on the extreme side.

EDIT: FOUND IT! Its in the 2d/3d contribution thread.

Quote from Arcane Falcon:

\"simple creatures or more complex objects should be around 400-800 polys, and characters should have 1k-2k polys (2k in some extreme cases, aim for 1k)\"

EDIT: Alright, I\'m almost ready to call this model done.

Go here to have a look at it: http://www.free-webspace.biz/hayward/ , click characters, and click Xacha Female (WIP), as I am sick of posting non working links :P

Any comments? Any suggestions as to where I should spend my last 46 or so triangles?

I still haven\'t had an answer of if I should include the capey cloaky thingy on the model....

EDIT: Did some reshaping over her, go have another look ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 04:44:23 pm by Frarda »

Talonder

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2004, 08:43:13 pm »
Very impressive! I like it - i would spend some of the 54 tris on the hair to make it a little more interresting
Ever wanted to make a game, but you didn?t have the experience? We are making a 2d RPG and need scripters, artists, writers and world builders! Send an application, prior experience is not necessary!

If interested, send to gault8121@msn.com

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2004, 12:04:21 pm »
@ poly count: the problem isn\'t the engine\'s capacity, it\'s the number of models that need to be rendered simultaneously, adding all their polys together. That can cause severe lag in the client regardless of the engines theoretical capabilities. That\'s why the models need to be low on polys, so that even if there are loads of models, the rendering speed will not drop dramatically.
Originally posted by Frarda
Go here to have a look at it: http://www.free-webspace.biz/hayward/ , click characters, and click Xacha Female (WIP), as I am sick of posting non working links :P

There is no working image link on that site...
Originally posted by Frarda
I still haven\'t had an answer of if I should include the capey cloaky thingy on the model....

You sould not, though I\'m not a dev. The model should only contain the body, nothing else. Even the hair needs to be a seperate mesh so that it can be selected without having several models for each hairdo. The same goes for clothes and everything else that isn\'t the exact same for every char.

Frarda

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2004, 01:09:56 pm »
Originally posted by Seytra

There is no working image link on that site...

Everyone else seems to find it, you just follow the links like I said, and the images are right on the page... I can\'t link anything but that URL to get to the site, as nothing is allowed to be hotlinked with that webhost.

If for some reason you click a link and you get \"page cannot be found\" errors because of a wierd browser or something put a space after the URL and hit enter, then the page should load right, has to do with the hotlink stopping measures.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 01:10:52 pm by Frarda »

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2004, 02:36:49 pm »
I wouldn\'t call FireBird a \"weird\" browser, and I did follow the link like you said. Adding a space didn\'t help, since I could already access the page, just not the images on it. None of them. I get the \"image missing\" filler off my browser for each image.

I found out why it doesn\'t work: it\'s because the final slash before the image name is replaced by a combination of symbols (probably a meta-character that is supposed to work like a slash but doesn\'t in all cases, or UTF-8 / ISO- charset issues maybe). Like this:
http://www.free-webspace.biz/hayward/characters%5CXachaFBig.jpg
instead of:
http://www.free-webspace.biz/hayward/characters/XachaFBig.jpg

So it works by copy/pasting the link and correcting it manually each time, but you might wish to check the source code of your site since I\'d be surprised if I\'d be the only one getting this error (especially in the long run).

Anyway, on the topic: you have modelled the boots with the model, which shouldn\'t be done, since they will change with whatever the player makes their char wear, including bare feet. Also, the hair should be omitted and made into a separate mesh, along with the wingy-like protrusions unless they\'re always the exact same (i.e., genetic, not fashion).

Also, there is this sharp edge running down the center of the body on both front and back (probably where you mirrored it), which looks very unnatural. Maybe you can get rid of it by making the surfaces even? Otherwise, maybe you can spend a few more polys on the nose, as it\'s just pyramidal ATM.

Otherwise it\'s looking well. :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 02:40:45 pm by Seytra »

Frarda

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2004, 03:18:24 pm »
I wouldn\'t call FireBird a \"weird\" browser, and I did follow the link like you said. Adding a space didn\'t help, since I could already access the page, just not the images on it. None of them. I get the \"image missing\" filler off my browser for each image.
I found out why it doesn\'t work: it\'s because the final slash before the image name is replaced by a combination of symbols (probably a meta-character that is supposed to work like a slash but doesn\'t in all cases, or UTF-8 / ISO- charset issues maybe). Like this:
http://www.free-webspace.biz/hayward/characters%5CXachaFBig.jpg
instead of:
http://www.free-webspace.biz/hayward/characters/XachaFBig.jpg

So it works by copy/pasting the link and correcting it manually each time, but you might wish to check the source code of your site since I\'d be surprised if I\'d be the only one getting this error (especially in the long run).

Its a free host, that character code isn\'t in the source, it must be part of the non-hotlinking system. Which means unfortunately there is no way for me to fix that... but maybe I can come up with something that\'ll help firebird browsers :)

Anyway, on the topic: you have modelled the boots with the model, which shouldn\'t be done, since they will change with whatever the player makes their char wear, including bare feet. Also, the hair should be omitted and made into a separate mesh, along with the wingy-like protrusions unless they\'re always the exact same (i.e., genetic, not fashion).

I started this model when MB was around, and in MB its NOT like Morrowind where items change your appearance. However, when CB is out, if it DOES work like Morrowind, fixing those little details is no problem at all, wouldn\'t take me long to fix it.

Also, there is this sharp edge running down the center of the body on both front and back (probably where you mirrored it), which looks very unnatural. Maybe you can get rid of it by making the surfaces even? Otherwise, maybe you can spend a few more polys on the nose, as it\'s just pyramidal ATM.

Otherwise it\'s looking well. :)

I will stick a few more polys on the nose, I agree.
The \"seam\" running down the center is because it is actually two meshes, I made one \"half\" of the character with a \"mirrored instance\" to see what the whole thing would look like. Once I am happy with the mesh I will \"weld\" the two together and the \"seam\" will disappear.

EDIT: I still really need to talk to a dev about this... Come on someone must read this thread! Talk to me here!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2004, 10:09:47 pm by Frarda »

Frarda

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2004, 02:56:02 pm »
You know I never even thought to ask.... What is PlaneShift\'s autosmooth threshold?