Author Topic: Updater Not Responding  (Read 2418 times)

Adiron

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Updater Not Responding
« on: December 26, 2004, 11:18:18 am »
Hope you don\'t mind my contribution to the endless sea of Crystal Blue bugs, but I did a search and this didn\'t seem to pop up anywhere else. This is what happens:

Welcome to the Planeshift updater version 1.02.1!
Click update to start
(click update)
Downloading registry...
Loaded registry...
Server has another updater going to fetch it...
Downloading registry...
Loaded registry...
Updating updater to version 1.02.1...

Then C:\\WINDOWS\\COMMAND.COM pops up and nothing happens. The updater doesn\'t freeze or anything, it just sits there and does nothing. I\'ve let it sit for hours at a time, and still nothing happens. Any ideas?
Many seek the goal, but you must seek the journey.

In-game name: Terrin Cierig

Ys

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2004, 12:02:14 pm »
Same thing here...

Androgos

(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 12:26:14 pm »
The thing it\'s supposed to do there is to move the files that are in use...
What windows version are you using?

clawtros

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 12:27:41 pm »
I\'m running the linux version and it seems the same thing is happening.  Try repeatedly pinging the server and see if that makes it start downloading.  My problem is that I have to ping constantly to have any progress.  My wrist hurts.

Adiron

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 12:42:26 pm »
Windows Millenium Edition :tdown: i tried the pinging idea that clawtros gave, but it still didn\'t work

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 01:46:43 pm »
I\'m using W98 and get the same problem so it seems to be related to these DOS-based windozes, that they can\'t replace files that are in use, and that might make the updater wait for them to be released, which will never happen, since it\'s using them.

I\'ve manually moved the files in question, I\'ll see what that does.

On a related note: it says that there is a new updater, but the \"new\" updater\'s version number is reported as the same as the old version (both are 1.02.1)...

ronxena

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 01:53:07 pm »
i had the same problem today ( win98 ).

Have already told GM, he should have forwarded to devs... its a win98,winme bug during updating the updater.

HERE IS A WORKAROUND I FOUND:
After you hang with the DOS window stop the DOS window and updater.
In the planeshift-directory you can find a file called updater.zip -> extract the files in there (this is the file which was already downloaded, it looks like the DOS window should extract the files in there...).

So you manually extract the files in there in planeshift-directory and then start the updater... it finally downloads 33 files (about 8 MB) and everything is fine.

With this update there is no problem in client with sound (software) enabled - you even have fighting noises with this update working!

- - - -

The update has the same version as before but is dated 26.12.2004 11:40 -> it is newer then the other dated 24.12.2004... at least the zip-file on the download-server for the updater has still the same name, but the new content (i think currently devs have other problems than to increment version numbers).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 01:55:38 pm by ronxena »

Adiron

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 02:02:48 pm »
You rock, Ronxena! I did what you suggested and it worked perfectly. Thanks for your help.

VegarW

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 02:03:51 pm »
Try running updater with --auto (console mode).
Like this, ./updater --auto

ronxena

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 02:13:06 pm »
Originally posted by Adiron
You rock, Ronxena! I did what you suggested and it worked perfectly. Thanks for your help.

I had all sorts of problems during starting, but I did not give up and could solve all of them with a little knowhow and help from people here in this forum:

1. missing crtvxyz70.dll ... read here in forum, downloaded and no problem with that

2. we could not enter @ for login (email) -> inserted manually into file and worked fine

3. no slash ( / ) ingame with certain keyboards (SHIFT key is not working and we need that for slash!), so we had no /spawn ingame... was solved simply by saying something ans scrolling up and then replacing /say with /spawn text

4. crashes with \"old\" client (24.12.) -> disabled sound and no problem, at least nearly no problem ;-)

5. updater for new version, read above and now we have sound

SO: there was no blocking point - i could play nearly all the time, of course you cannot expect a perfect installation and a perfect running server, planeshift is freeware...

Furtheron you can \"see\" the devs working around the clock when you play: monsters are now fighting back, experience is not only given to the last hit-player, server stability... all done in the developers holidays.

(They might rethink to start the next release on 24.12. hehe no freetime in christmas-holidays for them until now...)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 02:14:56 pm by ronxena »

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2004, 02:19:35 pm »
Originally posted by ronxena
The update has the same version as before but is dated 26.12.2004 11:40 -> it is newer then the other dated 24.12.2004... at least the zip-file on the download-server for the updater has still the same name, but the new content (i think currently devs have other problems than to increment version numbers).

Just found a line about this in the updaterconfig.xml which essentially says that version numbers don\'t nexessarily change when the MD5 does, so that\'s explained. :)
Originally posted by VegarW
Try running updater with --auto (console mode).
Like this, ./updater --auto

Now I get an access violation for cssynldr.dll and loads of other files, probably they\'re being used by the updater in --auto mode.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 02:40:27 pm by Seytra »

Leahn

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 06:37:02 am »

1. missing crtvxyz70.dll ... read here in forum, downloaded and no problem with that

2. we could not enter @ for login (email) -> inserted manually into file and worked fine

I am having those problems here too. Mind to share the solution?

Download link for the first one and explanation for the second? Pretty please?

ronxena

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2004, 07:10:50 am »
Originally posted by Leahn

I am having those problems here too. Mind to share the solution?

Download link for the first one and explanation for the second? Pretty please?

Download-Link: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr70
Place the file in your planeshift-directory.

You can try to enter @ by pressing Ctrl+Alt (or Strg+Alt) on your keyboard instead of \"AltGr\" key to enter the @.
If this wont work you can enter any adress, example user.hell.com and exit planeshift.
Then use the text-editor to change the email-adress in the file \"planeshift.cfg\" -> replace \"user.hell.com\" with \"user@hell.com\" or maybe with your email-account.

EDIT: Yesterday evening (28 december, europe time) the updater was explicit deactivated by developers due some errors, but if update wont work you still can play planeshift with original installation kit - with deativated sound.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 07:24:21 am by ronxena »

ajdaha

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 10:22:25 am »
I extracted the files from updater.zip once more, but this time, while downloading the updates (i tried it twice now):
1st) the updating stopped at the line \"updated cpersist.dll\" or something and the empty command window came up again.
2nd) I extracted once more and this time it stopped and did the same thing at the line \"updated updater.txt\"

I\'ll try it once more. Lets see what happens
love

TX3RN0BILL

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 10:36:32 am »
HELP!!! Updater fails completely since last update!! (happened last night!). Says: This application has failed to start because zlibwapi.dll was not found. Re-installing this application may fix this problem. Furthermore, all text from PS Setup and CB login disappeared!!! HEEEELP!!!

Edit: Am running WinXP w/ SP1.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 10:37:21 am by TX3RN0BILL »
A geniality a day keeps the doctor away...