Author Topic: CB Linux Installer, finally done  (Read 40617 times)

confused

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2005, 01:59:36 am »
Thanx for the updater.

Hope they could place a link on the download page to this thread for a binary version for those who get utterly fustrated in attempting to compile from source, particular versions of dependant libraries that could differ.

After about 3 weeks struggling to compile it I definitely rather grab the binary version.

Thanx, Karosh_Steinkatz for your hard work! Very much appreciated!

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
(No subject)
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2005, 07:56:53 am »
after today\'s update i get (ran psclient):

crystalspace.maploader: Could not get model converter
crystalspace.maploader: Could not get model crossbuilder
opening audio device: device or resource busy

[...]

planeshift.application.client:
  psEngine initialized.
Creating psnetconnection 8491bb8!
DLERROR (/home/simon/Planeshift/pfcharacterdata.csplugin): /home/simon/Planeshift/pfcharacterdata.so: could not open shared object file: could not find file or directory

crystalspace.pluginmgr.loadplugin:
  WARNING: could not load plugin \'ps.pcfactory.characterdata\'

crystalspace.application.celtest:
  CEL \'ps.pcfactory.characterdata\' plugin missing!

(I\'m running SuSE Linux 9.2 pro, KDE, sound system disabled)

edit: PS shows the startup loading screen, but doesn\'t seem to load anything up.

edit2: I copied the pfcharacterdata.so from the moved folder into the root folder, but I couldn\'t login (the same \"version conflict\" as before the update)

edit3: And there are the following errors:
Warning ID: crystalspace.maploader.parse.image
Description: Could not open image file \'smithytable.png\' on VFS!
Warning ID: crystalspace.maploader.parse.texture
Description: Couldn\'t load image \'smithytable.png\', using checkerboard instead!
Description: Could not open image file \'glyph_dark_01a.png\' on VFS!
Description: Couldn\'t load image \'glyph_dark_01a.png\', using checkerboard instead!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 08:02:25 am by derula »

peeg

• Testers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2005, 08:33:25 am »
Thanks for the new Updater!
Please don\'t give up your great work. I like your binary-installer more than the source-distribution.
[ PSde ] - Join the german community!
Peeg Chaoswind - Mentor in The Rangers Of Yliakum

Karosh_Steinkatz

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2005, 09:28:59 am »
Originally posted by derula
after today\'s update i get (ran psclient):

crystalspace.maploader: Could not get model converter
crystalspace.maploader: Could not get model crossbuilder
opening audio device: device or resource busy

[...]

planeshift.application.client:
  psEngine initialized.
Creating psnetconnection 8491bb8!
DLERROR (/home/simon/Planeshift/pfcharacterdata.csplugin): /home/simon/Planeshift/pfcharacterdata.so: could not open shared object file: could not find file or directory

crystalspace.pluginmgr.loadplugin:
  WARNING: could not load plugin \'ps.pcfactory.characterdata\'

crystalspace.application.celtest:
  CEL \'ps.pcfactory.characterdata\' plugin missing!

(I\'m running SuSE Linux 9.2 pro, KDE, sound system disabled)

edit: PS shows the startup loading screen, but doesn\'t seem to load anything up.

edit2: I copied the pfcharacterdata.so from the moved folder into the root folder, but I couldn\'t login (the same \"version conflict\" as before the update)

edit3: And there are the following errors:
Description: Could not open image file \'smithytable.png\' on VFS!
Description: Couldn\'t load image \'smithytable.png\', using checkerboard instead!
Description: Could not open image file \'glyph_dark_01a.png\' on VFS!
Description: Couldn\'t load image \'glyph_dark_01a.png\', using checkerboard instead!

Did you download the new updater files? If not, you may have to run the updater again, you still have the old version. Run it until it  doesn\'t download anything anymore.

And since there seems to be still a demand for my installer I will continue to maintain it ;)

Back to Planeshift again \\o/

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
(No subject)
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2005, 09:56:38 am »
Originally posted by Karosh_Steinkatz
Did you download the new updater files? If not, you may have to run the updater again, you still have the old version. Run it until it  doesn\'t download anything anymore.

When I ran the updater first I did not have the newest version. Then I got the new version from your post above and ran it again a few times. Then I made that post. After that I uninstalled PS again, installed it, got the new updater and again updated a few times, but then PS only showed the loading screen, loaded and then didn\'t react. Well now I\'m trying to get kronon\'s installer, but the connection is baaad... hasn\'t been downloading anything during the last 15 minutes...

Karosh_Steinkatz

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2005, 12:11:10 pm »
I updated the new updater which should handle the updating better. Here is the link again:
http://www.mortalsaviour.de/download/updater1023-2.tar.bz2

To be sure you get the new client, delete psclient-bin and pssetup-bin and run the updater then.

Update:
New installer is out! From now on with full art! Check the first post for details.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 05:07:37 pm by Karosh_Steinkatz »

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
(No subject)
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2005, 06:31:18 pm »

Origionally posted by Karosh_Steinkatz

Another thing: As you might have noticed, there is now another installer, which seemes to become the \"official\" one. Originally I wanted to contribute mine and migrate it into the offical repository after I figured most of the problems out (including the updater), but I guess Kronon was faster. I think it\'s useless to continue this, who needs 2 installers? What do you think?

I think your should be the official installer.  Bar none it is much much much much much easier.  No compiling.  Working updater.  Much Much better!  Having a good installer is great, and your work was terrific.   Thanks for your hard work.  Do not let this go. Please.  Yours is the only one that works.  I\'ve been running it in wine for a long time, but the latest updates broke wine.

DON\"T GIVE IT UP THIS ONE IS FAR SUPERIOR TO THE OFFICIAL ONE!

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2005, 06:50:36 pm »
Originally posted by Induane
DON\"T GIVE IT UP THIS ONE IS FAR SUPERIOR TO THE OFFICIAL ONE!

Not really, I mean it can\'t be run on 64-bit platforms, and everyone wll need roughly the same system type for it to run anyway, as well as it not being optimized for the system as well as it could, and you have to wait for it to be updated when there\'s a network code change and you need a new version to login to the server, where the official one works on all platforms, and you can update it from the cvs as soon as the server is updated so you don\'t have to wait and stuff... but this one is quicker if you have a slow machine :D So it\'s a balance :)

Valbrandr

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2005, 09:18:43 pm »
Perhaps both should be listed as official installers.  People who don\'t want to mess with compiling and aren\'t worrying about optimized sources should use this version.  People running the 64 bit versions or people who wish to compile should use the other installer.  That way everyone can get the best of both worlds.  I\'ve noticed that this is a very active thread, so there must be lots of interest in this.  Thus, perhaps he could get the devs to help out so that updates are released for both the linux and windows binaries at about the same time!

HellToupee

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2005, 01:54:45 am »
mouse look

When using mouse look i can look up and down fine i just cant look left and right. I searched a few people have this in windows but no solution

kronon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2005, 03:50:10 am »
Induan that makes me wonder how the official failed on you. And you can\'t say that this installer is more seperiour valbrandr good point.
HellToupee I fixed that bug ounce and gave it to the devs (long time ago).  They sticked to the orgional code I think so this bug has never been fixed in the origional version. I\'ll ask the devs again if I may fix this bug it\'s realy anoing.
Karosh_Steinkatz maybe we should make a unified stand?
You can find me on the dev irc channel. Also I hope that you have asked Talad if you are allowed to include art. Else you are doing something Illegal. Because then you are breaking copy right (just to let you know).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 03:50:28 am by kronon »

Nard

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2005, 05:19:15 am »
Originally posted by kronon
Also I hope that you have asked Talad if you are allowed to include art. Else you are doing something Illegal. Because then you are breaking copy right (just to let you know).

Well Illegal maybe but I for one can say I have been attempting to instlall and run this game Without any progress for several hours now untill I tried this installer and so far Everything is working Great!!

So for my two cents ...

Keep up the Great Work!!
If you Know what your doing,
You Not learning Anything.

Karosh_Steinkatz

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2005, 06:32:18 am »
Originally posted by kronon
Induan that makes me wonder how the official failed on you. And you can\'t say that this installer is more seperiour valbrandr good point.
HellToupee I fixed that bug ounce and gave it to the devs (long time ago).  They sticked to the orgional code I think so this bug has never been fixed in the origional version. I\'ll ask the devs again if I may fix this bug it\'s realy anoing.
Karosh_Steinkatz maybe we should make a unified stand?
You can find me on the dev irc channel. Also I hope that you have asked Talad if you are allowed to include art. Else you are doing something Illegal. Because then you are breaking copy right (just to let you know).

Thanks for the reminder kronon, I was so busy working on this that I forgot to ask. I\'m really sorry if I did something illegal here. But I will ask Talad when I come home in the evening. Sorry again.

And what do you mean exactly with the offer for a unified stand? Our 2 installers are for 2 different kinds of people. Mine is for those who want to play the game without hazzle and yours is for those who want a top-notch selfmade build. How do you want to unify them?

kronon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2005, 09:41:26 am »
1) We can make one thread instead of having two.
2) We can share information about problems that we come across (=less development time)
3) Probably some other things that I\'m to lazy to think of;)

Karosh_Steinkatz

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2005, 09:52:13 am »
Well, why not? We can discuss the matter in detail when I come home ;)