Author Topic: A stab at being intelligant by moi  (Read 760 times)

controversy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
A stab at being intelligant by moi
« on: January 14, 2005, 12:21:27 pm »
Well hello, I guess I am relatively unknown here at Planeshift forums, but some of you will come to know me and.. Therefore despise me, but since I have a pretty much clean record at this moment in time I would like you to consider the following words, let them burn deep into your soul and may you never forget them.

Some of you have been on this forum for many a day now and have, on the whole, come to grasp the concept of Internet forums; they require courtesy, common sense and a non-condescending attitude.  I call this the three C\'s of society, as these are applicable to common culture as well.  Although many users\' ideas conflict with each other.  In a large community such as this, it is no surprise that these things may happen, it is no surprise that no matter what user\'s social status is they will get aggravated due to a controversial idea that goes against their ideals.

Yes, I repeat myself THEIR ideals.

This does not make the controversial users opinion invalid nor does it mean that of the aggravated user.  We have to live with each other and that is why I am going to teach you all to post with common courtesy.

This \"plea\" if you will goes out to everyone. *  No matter what gender you are, no matter what age you are.  If you have to mingle with society you have to be nice.

*Excluding foreign people, people with mental injuries and celebrities.

Before we break down how you post, you must understand WHY we post.  This usually comes from an urge to meet other people, talk about or hobbies or interests.  This is only natural for humans, we are of course, a social race... meaning it is only instinct to us to interact with other humans.  Posting on the Internet is a fulfilment of these needs.  

Why, would you perceive, animals \"mingle\" with other animals and breed.  Do they do it for fun? No, they do it as a second instinct, greater numbers mean greater chances to survive.  I would say that this ideal is similar to that of humans; everything we do is for the good of the human race, instinctively or not.  You may be infuriated by this simple suggestion, you may say, \"we do it because it is fun!\"

Tell me, do you find eating pleasurable?  Yes is most likely the answer, just as we do it out of a need to avoid starvation.  

I feel that this is again true for posting.

Now, to move onto HOW to post.

This guy is the coolest!!!

That was posted by the user \"Merdarion\" on the thread This guy is awsome!

This is a prime case of bad posting, if I showed you this in an unrelated area, you wouldn\'t have a clue what he was talking about.  This is not altogether bad because, if you think of your non-virtual life, you will most likely make statements like these, you don’t necessarily back them up with a full answer.  It is just a subject I want you all to be aware on.  

Another thing, can you see any way in which this post interacts with other users? Does it add anything to the conversation?  Sure he gives his opinion, but he doesn’t support it.  What is the point in posting something like this?  I don’t see one.  I would say that if you discarded this petty statement from the post, it would neither add anything nor take anything away.  This post, in all aspects, is useless.  The only argument there is to argue its existence is that the user wanted to let something out, but who really cares?  People post hundreds of these types of posts a day, what is their aim?

To gain an extra post in their count?  To make friends? I don’t expect anyone to make very many friends with posts like that, is wasting someone’s time really worth an extra point…?  Why don’t you spend time over your posts, considering what you can add to the conversation instead of spewing out masses of industrialised crap?

I really needn’t mull over spelling and grammar, as that has already been extensively addressed by most people and is well established, but something that annoys me nearly as much is unwarranted grandiloquence (in case you don’t know, that’s using exceptionally lengthy words).

I have noted on adding one’s non-attached opinion onto a thread and whilst writing I have come up with a good solution for it, if I user previously states the proclamation that you were about to give, simply quote him or her and add to it, this way you are giving your opinion and you are adding to the conversation.

Remember to be sensible, keep one’s integrity and be careful about getting irate, keep a cool head and you will usually come out the victor in the argument or debate.

Well, I think that is the end to my ramblings today, I hope you take my post into consideration.

For now, I must depart.

Controversy

(this is not meant to be a flame in any shape for form, just i am very impressed with the calibre of posting on this forum and i believe that we can talk about something intelligent)

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 12:51:58 pm »
Well I have to ask, what purpose do you have for posting this? Also what weight do you hold to tell us what bad and good posting is? 2 posts and a sign up of this month? I think we can all use common sense to know what a good post is. It\'s not difficult to tell who is a bad poster, who a good poster is, and if a post should be removed or not. Really it\'s not in your or my interests anyways. None of us decide who or what gets deleted in this forum, we simply contribute. Leave the preaching to the Moderators, and enjoy the forum boards instead of telling people who have been here longer what to do.  :O

controversy

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 01:45:45 pm »
I have no right, i a lot of boredom+free time prompted me to write it, but i have been around on forums and have a pretty good knowledge of community life, i know that there is always n00bs and i guess i wanted to write something that spoke to them instead of setting down rules, but if you are offended or something, i apologise. :S

Keyaz

(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 02:00:08 pm »
Smile, it could be worse.... it could be me  :D

Bardialus

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 06:50:40 pm »
Originally posted by controversy

LMAO :D
Apart from the lecturing attitude and obvious language differences between the two posts you made.
You raised many good points about \'posting etiquette\', unfortunately you also detracted from the point by assuming that these points were unknown by the community.

As members of this forum, we are permitted to have our posts shown by the choice of those above us.
Although some do show a tendancy to breach into complete tangients here (which is the point of this forum itself), they also contribute to many valid discussions.

I myself am guilty of doing this in some of my posts here, we all are.  Which does not neccessarily mean that the post is irrelevant, neither does it have to be fully supported.  That is one of the benefits of having such a community like this one.
Those of my postings that remain are fortunate enough not to cross the line of \'bad social posting\'.

If you did write the first post, in which you clearly stated:

I really needn’t mull over spelling and grammar, as that has already been extensively addressed by most people and is well established, but something that annoys me nearly as much is unwarranted grandiloquence (in case you don’t know, that’s using exceptionally lengthy words).

I apllaud your audacity.
But after reading your reply, I notice a very defined language discrepency in not only the words used but also the grammar.  

I think that all opinions should be represented, and so welcome you to the community.
Ovates: With a story we can change the world

http://www.Ovates.tk

WiseKran

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 07:23:24 pm »
Having only 4 posts in our community, what merrit do you have on Telling us about Ettiquette?

not to mention, the example you used with Merdarion was rediculus.  there is absolutely nothing wrong with \"This guy is the coolest!!!!\"   and considering these are only Posts we are making, means that we do not necissarily  have to have a thought, supported with information pertaining to it.  We dont have to have an Introduction, controlling idea, main thoughts, or conclusion etc., either.

We just place our thoughts right here, as long as they are appropriate, and pertain somewhat to the thread that contains them.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 07:24:01 pm by WiseKran »

Farewell Moogie, Farewell Draklar, Farewell Drey. you will be missed.

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 07:26:52 pm »
I see no point in this thread at all. Maybe he thinks where all retarded and need to be tought how to act :P
Lol Internet

snow_RAveN

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 08:44:55 pm »
a lot of boredom+free time

Ahhh \"free time\", the main cause of all the worlds problems :D

That was posted by the user \"Merdarion\" on the thread This guy is awsome!

This is a prime case of bad posting, if I showed you this in an unrelated area, you wouldn\'t have a clue what he was talking about. This is not altogether bad because, if you think of your non-virtual life, you will most likely make statements like these, you don’t necessarily back them up with a full answer. It is just a subject I want you all to be aware on.

Well it aint a good example for bad posting thats for sure, but is it so so wrong in so many possiable ways for a guy to post something funny and make people laugh ? Why if it not been for humourous posts like his this place would only have the mods and devs for members imo
Originally posted by DepthBlade
I am not as good as you with posting totally random pointless things that neither are relative or make any sense.

Cybio Kingfist

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 08:59:02 pm »
Originally posted by Efflixi Aduro
I see no point in this thread at all. Maybe he thinks where all retarded and need to be tought how to act :P

That\'s what I got out of it.
The steel priest is back and ready to start converting.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 09:25:29 pm »
I read the entire post, and afterwards I tried to think back on this wealth of information supplied to me in your post.

It came out to something like \"Kiern is great\".

In summation, your post is extremely well-thought out, but your choice of topics is not that great.  I\'m always up for a debate, but after reading it all I want to point out is how pointless the post it, do you really think that it is important?

Though, maybe some people around here do need it...and it\'d be the people actually taking offense to the post. :baby:

Tulfutzian

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 10:09:32 pm »

Some of you have been on this forum for many a day now and have, on the whole, come to grasp the concept of Internet forums; they require courtesy, common sense and a non-condescending attitude.  

I am sorry to break this up to you, but you kinda missed the non-condescending attitude in your post. But, oh well...

And then, what exactly means that the plea is not directed to \"foreign people\". Is it a joke that I do not get or are you so self centered that you assume that on THESE forums \"foreign people\" means \"people who do not have the same nationality as YOU\" ? Damn, i guess you missed the \"common sense\" with that too. Or the \"courtesy\"? Hmmm...

Oh...anyone who studyied even briefly Social Anthropologics would cut madly through that salad you made in the introductory part. There is a trap when making affirmations on a subject you do not grasp, that of being confronted with one who actually understands and handles the notions involved and who will immediatly make look like a fool.
 You must excuse the condescendent tone in the last phrase. It seemed neccesary.

One more thing...As a professional writer I must humbly point to you that \"grandiloquence\" is not \"using exceptionally lengthy words\". It reffers to the use of pompus or bombastic words or expressions. Although it may seem the same to you, I must assure you it is not.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 10:13:08 pm by Tulfutzian »
\"I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. \"  Robert Frost

Cybio Kingfist

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 11:53:59 pm »
Originally posted by Tulfutzian

Some of you have been on this forum for many a day now and have, on the whole, come to grasp the concept of Internet forums; they require courtesy, common sense and a non-condescending attitude.  

I am sorry to break this up to you, but you kinda missed the non-condescending attitude in your post. But, oh well...

And then, what exactly means that the plea is not directed to \"foreign people\". Is it a joke that I do not get or are you so self centered that you assume that on THESE forums \"foreign people\" means \"people who do not have the same nationality as YOU\" ? Damn, i guess you missed the \"common sense\" with that too. Or the \"courtesy\"? Hmmm...

Oh...anyone who studyied even briefly Social Anthropologics would cut madly through that salad you made in the introductory part. There is a trap when making affirmations on a subject you do not grasp, that of being confronted with one who actually understands and handles the notions involved and who will immediatly make look like a fool.
 You must excuse the condescendent tone in the last phrase. It seemed neccesary.

One more thing...As a professional writer I must humbly point to you that \"grandiloquence\" is not \"using exceptionally lengthy words\". It reffers to the use of pompus or bombastic words or expressions. Although it may seem the same to you, I must assure you it is not.

:tup:
The steel priest is back and ready to start converting.

Geghlesh

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
ah...
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 12:41:06 am »
*rubs chin* ah, what a good example of uniformitarianism this is. lol, jk, theres no corrolation between this thread and uniformitarianism =D

davo

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 06:49:31 am »
aww give him a break.  he is just trying to make this a better community for everyone.  people always seem to prey on peoples week spots like bloodthirsty vultures.

ok obviously people know some of this already, but he is not sphycic.

and it doesent matter how many posts he has made.  just cause he has made 4 posts and a signup this month doesent mean he doesent get his say.  he is just as smart as anyone else.

howa bout \"yes some people could use this\" or \"good work\" with a nice non sarcastic smiley face.

anyways you have 1 positive post.

shame on all of you lol.

anyways cheers
in game name : davoid

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2005, 07:11:35 am »
The irony? ?(

Anyway, chill. As long as people don\'t make lame posts or trash threads, everything\'s just fine.

Plus don\'t expect \"n00bs\" to go through your post. It\'s long and frankly - boring. :P

- Swords
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 07:12:33 am by Draklar »
AKA Skald