Author Topic: My Thought on Advisor Mode  (Read 1186 times)

Randalp

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
My Thought on Advisor Mode
« on: January 20, 2005, 05:49:04 am »
Oke so what i think could be added to the advisormode would like a system that the player who asked for help can rate the advice. Like a player asks a question and the advisor answers and sometimes the player asks more... as soon as the session is ended the player gets the option to rate the advice like: Good Mediocre Bad... Based on those \"grades\" the advisor get points awarded.

This will prettty much make the help channel self monitoring so that GM\'s can do other things than watch the help channel.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 05:49:18 am by Randalp »

Wiseman in the Knowledge Seekers Guild Let the wisdom fill the world

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 06:57:41 am »
Since the GMs already know what a \"good\" answer is, they are the best people to rate the advice they see. We already have a system with monitoring advisors, anyway.

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 07:44:59 am »
Originally posted by Moogie
We already have a system with monitoring advisors, anyway.

You mean that log file that just gets bigger and bigger, every time some WTB-advisor says \"hello, welcome to the help channel\"? :P
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

Randalp

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 07:47:47 am »
lol was just my thought ;) nothing more moogie :)

Wiseman in the Knowledge Seekers Guild Let the wisdom fill the world

RainyShadow

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 07:45:26 pm »
Have you noticed the new minigame in PS recently. I think they call it hmmmm... \"The great crystal hunt\"... no, that\'s MB.... *thinks some more* ... got it... it\'s \"The great advisor-point hunt\"

;)

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 09:13:12 pm »
I personally dislike this wave of people who claim 3-4 advice sessions at a time. To me it just says that advisor is greedy and just after the power and GM title. Another problem is that they often end up forgetting to answer some of the people they claimed.

Advisors should claim 1 session at a time, because while you\'re busy answering person#1, other advisors could be answering person#2 and #3 and #4, rather than having them wait in line for the greedy advisor.

Its also good to note that every other advisor and GM can see when someone claim a bunch of people, so we know who to vote \"no\" on when they come asking to be a GM. :)

Denivi

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 10:45:39 pm »
Originally posted by RainyShadow
got it... it\'s \"The great advisor-point hunt\"

Hmm... that wouldn\'t sort of be like Karma-whoring on slashdot, would it... ;)

RainyShadow

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 10:54:17 pm »
It\'s nice to know that someone is aware of what\'s going on (you keep the logs, do you? ) :)
btw. could something be done about the \"that person has been already answered\" message? i mean, sometimes advices need correction/addition, or,  sometimes just when i\'m about to send an advice someone claims the session and all my writings \"go to the trash\". And i don\'t want those advisor points which i miss this way, i just want to be heard after stopping doing my stuff and spending the time to write something usually long enough to bug my chat-window (on win32 version if you send a long message and review it, editing stops working and you have to blind-type something to repair the console, losing all your previous writings).

P.S. Excuse me for my poor english ;)

Memnaur

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 05:40:35 am »
Originally posted by RainyShadow
 i just want to be heard after stopping doing my stuff and spending the time to write something usually long enough to bug my chat-window (on win32 version if you send a long message and review it, editing stops working and you have to blind-type something to repair the console, losing all your previous writings).

Just my two-cents, for what it\'s worth- this and the \"session-whoring\" is exactly why I rarely enter /advisormode much any more. By the time I bang out a \'decent\' answer, someone else has claimed the session  and I\'ve hosed up my chat window.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 05:55:19 am by Memnaur »

Uyaem

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 05:50:41 am »
Advisors should claim 1 session at a time, [...]

There used to be a limitation: 1 advisee per advisor. Does it not work anymore? Was it taken out?
The internet is "the terrorists'" most important weapon, they say.
Wrong.
Fear is their most important weapon.
Ours is our freedom.

Xen

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 07:42:58 am »
at a time i used advisor mode but other people would grab everyone who asks a question at once and it just sorta defeated the point
In game I am Xenogis, and Dragnon
~~~~~~~
****, CB Rox

zabeal

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 05:29:00 pm »
As someone who has been advising while learning, I find the system pretty good. I only get to answer occasionaly questions, but I can watch what other people say to learn how to do things I hadn\'t thought of. And then I get a chance to share this knowledge when less advisors are on :) Unfortunatly, there if an advisor tells something that isn\'t completly true, like saying that you can only get tria by killing rats, there is no easy way to correct them. Seems somewhat imposing to /tell them. :P

But overall, I think it\'s much better than other games.

Lux perpetua luceat eis

Judas

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 05:49:11 pm »
my thought on advising and all that.  i am new and needed a question answered, can\'t remember exactly what it was, but the conversation was like this:

Me: How do I do X?
Advisor: You just need to do Y.
Me: Ah, thanks!

i thought it was nice to say thank you.  unfortunately the advisor did not reply to my thank you, which seemed to effectively leave an open question.  this meant that later, when i had another question to ask, i couldn\'t because i still had an unanswered question.

any thoughts on how to solve this?  auto-time-out on questions possibly?

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 05:56:26 pm »
Originally posted by Pogopuschel

There used to be a limitation: 1 advisee per advisor. Does it not work anymore? Was it taken out?

I\'ve seen the following happen on several occasions:

Person 1 asks: \"I need help\"
Person 2 asks: \"Where are the sewers?\"
Person 3 asks: \"How do I earn money?\"
Advisor has claimed to know the answer to Person 1\'s question.
Advisor has claimed to know the answer to Person 2\'s question.
Advisor has claimed to know the answer to Person 3\'s question.
Advisor tells Person 1: \"yes I can help you\"
Advisor tells Person 2: \"try looking behind the tavern\"

etc.

zabeal

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 06:03:57 pm »
Originally posted by Pogopuschel

I\'ve seen the following happen on several occasions:

Person 1 asks: \"I need help\"
Person 2 asks: \"Where are the sewers?\"
Person 3 asks: \"How do I earn money?\"
Advisor has claimed to know the answer to Person 1\'s question.
Advisor has claimed to know the answer to Person 2\'s question.
Advisor has claimed to know the answer to Person 3\'s question.
Advisor tells Person 1: \"yes I can help you\"
Advisor tells Person 2: \"try looking behind the tavern\"

etc.

Hmmm, I was going to suggest maybe there needs to be levels of advisors, for example for every 100 points you can advise one person at a time. Or maybe only full gms could actually claim a session... not sure who would get the point in that case however. Still, it works alright for now :)

Lux perpetua luceat eis