Author Topic: never ending update  (Read 2412 times)

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2005, 10:35:57 pm »
OK, the first thing you do when Windoze or Windoze programs don\'t work properly is: reboot and see if the problems go away. This sadly still applies for WXP. Microsoft just is incapable of producing decent software.

If rebooting doesn\'t solve the issue, it\'s most likely the program.
You are not, by any chance, running W9x or WME? If yes, look for the file \"updater.zip\" in either the PS folder or in the \"updatertemp\" folder. Unzip this to the main PS folder and run the updater. Copying the files from \"updatertmp\" will only work with some versions of the updater, as some back-up the old files to that folder, and some unpack \"updater.zip\" there, so you might just be copying the old files back onto themselves. The safe way is unzipping \"updater.zip\".

Edit: there is a patched updater:
http://planeshift.zarevak.net/updater.zip

Download and unzip into your main PS folder, but back up \"updater.exe\" before doing so, in case it doesn\'t work!

BEWARE! This is made available not by me nor by the PS team, so the integrity of this file isn\'t warranted by any means (it was OK by the time I used it, but this may very well have changed, so scan the file for malware before using it!).
Also, it was created to solve a different problem, and some time ago, so it might not work anymore.
You can try this, as it might be that your version of the updater is buggy. Note that with this version, you may run into similar problems in W9X or WME, so be sure to read this thread:
http://www.planeshift3d.com/wbboard/thread.php?threadid=12936&boardid=33&styleid=3

Another edit:
If you manage to successfully update the updater, you may run into another problem, which is solved by running the updater in auto mode, as described here:
http://www.planeshift3d.com/wbboard/board.php?boardid=33
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 10:52:49 pm by Seytra »

ubermonkeyspoon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2005, 11:02:33 pm »
TO COMPLICATED!!! im not a computer wiz, I don\'t understand any of that
PH34R T3|=| LARGO |-|3 15 T3|=| L33T |-|4><075 |\\/|4|) 5|<1L|_Z

Seytra

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2005, 11:16:02 pm »
In that case, I\'m sorry. PS is in a very early development stage (pre-alpha), and isn\'t meant for the general public, but for people who are at least somewhat tech-savy and / or willing to learn. Problems are expected to arise, and the users are expected to help solving them, not to let themselves be guided step by step. Therefore, nobody is going to spoon-feed you (at least I am not).

ubermonkeyspoon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
so no solution.....
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2005, 09:37:26 pm »
So no body has found out whats wrong... No matter what I do I get this problem, it still hasn\'t gone away, i\'ve gone and reinstalled over 3 times in false hope that it would work, but there was no success. I\'ve been anxious to play this game for about a week now, but none of the suggestions made here have helped. Is there nothing else I can do? Is all hope to play this game lost for me?

ubermonkeyspoon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 09:45:34 pm »
I guess that i\'ve located the real problem if it helps any, everytime the updater restarts, in the updater log folder, the one fatal thing that I find says this

Couldn\'t delete temporary repository zip (updatertemp/repos.zip)

I have no idea what this is though... does anyone know what it is?

Seytra

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005, 05:35:08 pm »
The updater is broken ATM, and I don\'t know when it will be fixed.

The repos.zip message has been there for a long time, at least for me, but wasn\'t impeding the updater\'s work in any way, so it\'s likely not the problem.

Therefore, just wait for an official or semi-official announcement on the updater working again. Keep the PS installer in case the updater cannot be used to download the working version, so that you can re-install if you can\'t manually replace the files.

Oh, and edit your posts instead of double-posting.

Geode

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2005, 11:01:02 pm »
ok, here\'s another clue. When i tried opening the file Planeshift main server.zip my winrar could not open it because it was unknown or damaged. as well as localhost.zip and updater.zip

although repos.zip opened just fine.

hope this helps to solve this problem.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 11:02:34 pm by Geode »

ubermonkeyspoon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2005, 09:04:02 pm »
so im guessing there are still MANY unlucky people that are not able to play the game... I really hope they fix this thing soon...

Wolfsong

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2005, 07:17:51 am »
Hi Uber,
Have you tried uninstalling PS, getting rid of all the files (Zip included), then re-installing?
I know you\'re very frustrated by now; but I & several RL friends (Spouse included) did this & now PS is purring for all.

It may sound like a hassle to download it all over again.
But seriously, could it be any more of a hassle than what you\'re already going through?
The Updater works just fine for all of us, now that we\'ve downloaded PS once again.
Hope this helps, & hope you get ingame soon.
~\"I come in Peace. If that is unacceptable to you...then may you rest in pieces.\" ~ Wolfsong

Seytra

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2005, 10:13:50 am »
If you\'re unable / unwilling to follow the instructions, then it will be your only option to uninstall and reinstall PS. Don\'t delete the installer, because due to PS\'s very early development state things will break again and again. It is by far not an \"install and play\" game, and as such isn\'t intended for the usual gamer.

@ Geode: I don\'t know of any file named \"localhost.zip\" or \"server.zip\". Are you sure that you actually tried to open zip files, not XML files (there is a file called \"servers.xml\") or executables?

Just so that everyone knows: the detailed instructions given have so far worked flawlessly for me, and they fixed any and all problems I ever encountered with the updater since they were first posted. The only twist is that ATM, the updater only works with the \"-auto\" switch, but I suggested using that anyway.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 10:17:33 am by Seytra »

ubermonkeyspoon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2005, 11:39:12 pm »
I gurantee that I have tried everything suggested, and that the --auto did not work at all, it merely started the whole course over again. I tried reinstall... no luck, the same thing, so I guess my problem is different from everyone elses, so don\'t tell me that I don\'t know what im talking about, because I have tried all suggested by everyone. Ive searched many other forums, but nothing they recomend will work. Sorry if im annoying you guys, but its all very frustrating.

Seytra

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2005, 11:48:23 pm »
Originally posted by ubermonkeyspoon
I have tried all suggested by everyone.

However, you stated that it is too complicated for you, so how am I going to know that? And even if, how are you going to know if you did it properly?
Anyway, it might be the case that you have gotten a totally broken updater version that I missed due to my long pauses between actually updating. Therefore, your options are:

1) use the patched updater that I mentioned earlier. The patch is for fixing something else, but it will give you the current updater which works.

2) remove and reinstall PS and update from that, as the original updater does work.

Oh, and there also is an alternative updater created by Cha0s IIRC floating around in some thread, you might find it (\"Java updater\" or something like that might be appropriate search terms). Sicne I haven\'t even downloaded it, I can\'t say anything ybout it\'s usefulness, however, except giving the usual common-sense warnings that apply to binary software that comes from random places.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 11:53:20 pm by Seytra »

Genko

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Ninja's should go play FFX
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2005, 11:24:04 am »
Doodzor.. Largo, you aren\'t listening.

Those problems are fixed by extracting the updatertemp file into the parent directory.

After that run the updater.

Then enjoy \"t3h 1337 ph34r n1nja sk1llz0rs\" of playing.

ubermonkeyspoon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2005, 01:20:34 pm »
d00d ive tried that already...
I get a very un-l33t illegal explorer message, the problem is not solved
My l33t haxor skills just aren\'t enough for this l33t of a game

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2005, 02:18:41 pm »
Originally posted by ubermonkeyspoon
I get [an] ... illegal explorer message, the problem is not solved

assuming you\'re getting an illegal operation message. that one is solved by the \"--auto\" trick.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.