Author Topic: motherboard recommendations  (Read 414 times)

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
motherboard recommendations
« on: February 05, 2005, 07:17:16 pm »
i\'m looking to get a new motherboard in the next few weeks. what i\'m looking for is something that will give me manoevouring(sp) room in terms of upgrades. i\'ve done some quick research. but there seem to be a fair number of equally good options out there.

now for a bit of specfics:
- ~100 cdn$ there is a bit of slack there but it gives a reference point
- allow for some upgrades in processors. but given the way that things work probably won\'t happen
- not looking to do over clocking so those features may tip the balance in a decision, but aren\'t key
- i\'m looking at something in a p4 class in terms of processor. but the actual brand is currently an open question
- on board video may be of import. especially in terms of how well it supports double heading.

and anything else that i can think of. but those are the major points
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

mikewsnc

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 07:45:36 pm »
the ASUS P4P800 SE

great motherboard from a great company
has on board audio sb live 6.1 dolby
no on board video but really who wants on board video
up to a 3.8 P4 800MHZ front side
supports up to 4GIG ram with up to 400 front side
it costed me 129.00 but it was well worth it
there customer service is by far the best i have ever experianced ( sorry for mis-spell).
so that would be my best suggestion for you
i know the price tag could be considered high but its worth it

you dont want on board video it robs your system may as well spend 60 bucks on a geforce 5200 ultra fx 128 meg video card it will work much better than any 128 on board will
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 07:47:35 pm by mikewsnc »
Only sacrifice will bring true reward.

Harkin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 08:46:29 pm »
if your going  with an intel CPU, then i would suggest MSI, they are some of the best intel cpu orientated motherboards on my opinion, but that is up for debate since i\'d never use an intel on my computer :)

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-481&depa=0
or
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-465&depa=0

there was an $100 one exactly, but its not worth the $4 less dollars unless you need onboard video then:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-466&depa=0

but if you went AMD, then i would totally go for ASUS, cause i love ASUS cards! :D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 08:47:58 pm by Harkin »
I am just a figment of you imagination and a byproduct of the worse accident ever... ... or so my mommy says!
Imagine your life ripped to hundreds of shreds, then think about how you just stepped in poo, welcome to my world.

-Scott

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 09:08:47 pm »
i\'ve been running with an asus p2-99b for the past several years. and it hasn\'t given me any trouble. so i may go with them again. but, there are so many choices out there.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

mikewsnc

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 01:56:22 am »
if your looking for a good p4 go for the one i suggested i run a 3.2p4 and have had one problem with it then i contacted asus and they sent me a brand new board for free so service + perforance + price = asus for me
Only sacrifice will bring true reward.

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 02:59:00 am »
I say get an ATI 64 processer compatable motherboard. Most places have cpu mb combos you should look for those.
Lol Internet

dimaq

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
A8V or something
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 07:43:25 am »
get yourself a socket 939 mobo. I guess for the time being you can be quite happy with AGP, SATA and 3 or 4 memory slots.

Keyaz

(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 09:20:27 am »
get the same one that i just got!
Msi K7N2 Delta! :rolleyes:

its delivered DOA wait a week for the replacement, then find out you have to upgrade your already upgraded system, THEN take it to a local computer expert to configure the bios so it isnt completely gay... THEN find out your processor is burnt out and get that Replaced.... then i dont know, im still waiting for an RMA >.<

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 09:43:19 am »
GA-K8NXP-SLI
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_GA-K8NXP-SLI.htm

I don\'t know how much these cost, but they\'re the best :P

Spyder22

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 10:03:12 pm »
you do realize that athlon is beating intel in about every market segment?  why would you want a p4 when you can get a faster althlon for less money.
my mobile athlon that I picked up for $35 clocks to 2.7ghz and has the better performance in games than a 3.4P4EE (a $800 chip).

Tarachnul

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 11:17:20 pm »

you do realize that athlon is beating intel in about every market segment? why would you want a p4 when you can get a faster althlon for less money.
my mobile athlon that I picked up for $35 clocks to 2.7ghz and has the better performance in games than a 3.4P4EE (a $800 chip).

because they have more commercials...duh<.<...seriously though its amazing how ignorant of this stuff some people are and how little they research something before they buy it(i.e. my parents)

as far as your mother board goes...it kind of depends upon what your planning on using your machine for...though id definetly recommend an AMD compatable chipset....

regards

-Tarach
Uuma quena en\'mani lle ume, ri\'mani lle umaya; uma ta ar\'lava ta quena ten\'irste\'  
(Speak not of what you have done, or what you are going to do; do it, and let it speak for itself)