Author Topic: Grammatical Errors  (Read 949 times)

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 11:53:41 am »
Originally posted by Hatchnet
If this is just you wanting help with your English then I will be glad to help; otherwise complaining about other peoples? spelling and grammar is a good way to start a fight.

(Note: A before consonants and an before vowels)

Oh, now this is something I\'m good at. Let\'s see...

\" peoples? \"... That looks wrong. Let\'s change that to \"people\'s\" instead, because you can\'t have more peoples, and you can\'t have those peoples having things, so it\'s \"people\'s stuff\", not peoples\' (peopless... Just look how stupid that is). You can\'t bend people anyway. It\'s always people in multi...pli...laris...something. You can\'t have only one people, so you don\'t put s on it when having more of them.

If that made any sense, press 1 now. :)

Anyway, \" (Note: A before consonants and an before vowels) \". That only goes for the sounds. It\'s still called A Yellow Book, simply because yellow sounds like it is spelled with a J, not a Y, same with An Hour. You can\'t hear the H, so it sounds like it starts with Our, thus being An Hour.

I\'m not trying to pick a fight, I\'m simply helping Merdarion understand how the English language works, and since you so gladly contributed a few errors, then... Yeah.

But anyway. Generally the English language doesn\'t have so many things that need to be understood, they just need to be learned and used in the right way. Trying to figure out how the grammar actually works will just make you far more confused than a giraffe on Mt. Everest, and you don\'t want that. Instead just try to accept how things are, and learn to put them together in the right way. It saves you lots of brain capacity too, anyway.

Besides, just be glad you\'re not learning Danish. It\'s probably the language that has the most nonsense-ish grammar in the entire galaxy, but that\'s because people try to learn the grammar. They don\'t do as I say and simply learn how to put sentences together. So silly... :)
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

JellyWerker

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 11:18:34 pm »
oooh! The grammar police! :) Also, I noticed the error in my last post :)
Warning: Prone to common sense.

Myrgus

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 09:11:48 am »
Originally posted by Gronomist

Besides, just be glad you\'re not learning Danish. It\'s probably the language that has the most nonsense-ish grammar in the entire galaxy, but that\'s because people try to learn the grammar. They don\'t do as I say and simply learn how to put sentences together. So silly... :)

And I\'m pretty sure Dutch is the most difficult language to learn for any foreigner... It\'s my native language but I probably make less mistakes in English than in Dutch!! I can\'t think of a single dutch grammar-rule with at least a dozen exceptions :(

Any dutchies in here to confirm?? or to disagree of course

Phinehas

(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 09:37:51 am »
@ Gronomist: Actually \"peoples\" is a word, as in \"The various peoples of London\". Generally it means a people group. I know that you were just helping him spell \"people\'s\" right, but I just had to point this out.

I don\'t have anything to add about grammar or spelling, but I can add a few things about good writing. For instance, don\'t make your sentences too long, and learn to word things simply unless you\'re trying to be confusing. This means, not using complex nouns or verbs and when simple ones will do, and it also means making sure you\'re using the correct word. I could grab a couple of examples out of Grono\'s post, but that\'d just be mean.

Jazeera

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 10:01:37 am »
Besides, just be glad you\'re not learning Danish. It\'s probably the language that has the most nonsense-ish grammar in the entire galaxy, but that\'s because people try to learn the grammar. They don\'t do as I say and simply learn how to put sentences together. So silly...

Or maybe it\'s because kids in Denmark just doesn\'t want to learn the language ;)
and say how can you put sentences together, without the grammar?

And I\'m pretty sure Dutch is the most difficult language to learn for any foreigner... It\'s my native language but I probably make less mistakes in English than in Dutch!! I can\'t think of a single dutch grammar-rule with at least a dozen exceptions

Well just because you aren\'t as good with English as with Dutch, doesn\'t make it the hardest language now does it?

lol, try to learn Chinese, I heard they have 4000 letters in their alphabet 8o
Jazeera Hlaaron

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 01:03:57 pm »
Originally posted by Jazeera
lol, try to learn Chinese, I heard they have 4000 letters in their alphabet 8o

learning chinese is much work, but if you got all those vocabularies, you have it easy for they dont have grammar at all.
I want to be a flame, to crumble to ash, but never ever burnt.

I want to rise higher, rise up to the heavens, but sink, just sink down deeper and deeper into nothing,

I want to be an angel, a chosen, a devil, but I am just a creature that ever wants what it wont get.

Phinehas

(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 01:15:47 pm »
I can honestly say that Russian is a hard language to learn, as is Ukrainian.