Author Topic: Character Names  (Read 2471 times)

Adyna

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2005, 01:41:58 pm »
Well I\'m ashamed to admit it but I got my name Adyna from a char name generator when I first started playing the game \'Eternal Lands\' :O  But it grew on me and now I can\'t shake it off.  But after the wipe I\'m going to have a Surname as well and that has taken a lot of thought with no char name generators involved.  So there is hope for me yet :))

http://www.pstimes.co.uk
PS Times Discussion Forum click here

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2005, 06:53:52 pm »
Originally posted by Adyna
Well I\'m ashamed to admit it but I got my name Adyna from a char name generator when I first started playing the game \'Eternal Lands\' :O  But it grew on me and now I can\'t shake it off.  But after the wipe I\'m going to have a Surname as well and that has taken a lot of thought with no char name generators involved.  So there is hope for me yet :))

I don\'t see anything wrong with using name generators? If I wouldn\'t easily come up with own creations, I would use name generators, too (in fact, sometimes I use them to get some inspiration and feeling for what names should sound like in the particular game / race / gender). I much prefer this option to using names from books or movies or RL things and the like. :rolleyes:

Therefore, my names are completely made up by myself, with the availabe information on the setting, the race I\'m going to play, and my personal taste as guidance, in that order. I also never reuse char names: new char, new name.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 07:12:56 pm by Seytra »

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2005, 09:57:39 pm »
Aeden Shalcoen
Presented itself in my story from a combination of words I created for a language called Old Speak.

ae=love or beloved
den=soul
shal=secret (shaln=hidden)
coen=waters

\'Beloved soul of secret waters\'

Arnigus Faymor
Well, just made it right up. I needed a new character to run the Sheeples. It was going to be Arnigus \'Fearmore\', but that was a little cheesy. So I rearranged things to sound better.

Jakkar
Just popped into my head, spontaneously creating a new character, who now plays a major roll in my current tale.

*edit* Words sent to Adyna in a PM. The rest of you will just have to read my story to find them. :P
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 11:37:42 am by Under the moon »

Adyna

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2005, 07:51:11 am »
mmmm \'Old Speak\' sounds interesting, would you mind divulging more words from this ancient language?

Originally posted by Under the moon
Aeden Shalcoen
Presented itself in my story from a combination of words I created for a language called Old Speak.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 07:51:39 am by Adyna »

http://www.pstimes.co.uk
PS Times Discussion Forum click here

mcclane

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2005, 09:03:02 am »
>>and Artur is celtic for \"the bear\".

No its most certainly not. Theres no ?Celtic? language. Its been dead for thousands of years. You might know a branch of the Celtic language but noone knows celtic anymore, they don?t even have a name for the language they used, they only have names for 2 of the branches of it and noone today even knows them! And the languages that came from them are almost all dead/dying as well.

You might as well say arthur is martian for ?cat?

------------------------

If anyone wants names translated/suggestions in gaeilge (Irish Gaelic) then i?d be willing to help.

Edit by Moogie: Posts merged. Please don\'t doublepost.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 11:47:15 am by mcclane »

kariloy

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2005, 05:10:40 pm »
Well then little buddies my name\'s history is an exciting and adventurous one... or maybe not! I always had a problem creating names for my game characters... they always were to stupid or corny. But now i was asked to choose a RP adequate name... first i created one based on D&D character that i once had... i played a bit but i didn\'t like the char neither it\'s name... So i decided for an Enki and thus the Char Gen was pressed and voil? Kariloy Markief! I may have not invented the name... but the background story is spinning in my mind and will eventually come out... so FEAR or not! :x
\"The knack of flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!\" - Douglas Adams

Pimpstick +1, Bling Bling +3 On Hit: Biatch Conversion DC 20 (Cha save).

Tarachnul

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2005, 02:59:22 am »
my charictors names (aranis) and (salaris) are both name of my old d&d charictors. aranis a lvl 28 elven rouge ahh i miss the good ole days.

well bob the dwarf couldnt be reborn :( (not very mideival dont you agree?)

so as i sat there stumped(i suck at making names) a remembered a brain child of mine from an old mud game Tarachnul and so in honor of bob the warrior tarachnul was reborn as a dwarf...

regards,

-Tarach
Uuma quena en\'mani lle ume, ri\'mani lle umaya; uma ta ar\'lava ta quena ten\'irste\'  
(Speak not of what you have done, or what you are going to do; do it, and let it speak for itself)

Quwaar

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2005, 04:35:28 am »
mmm, how did I ever come up with this...name: Quwaar. I was just started the think about RPG online and had need for a name. So I written a few and this one was best. I think it was just immagination.
I use it almost everywhere now :) So whenever you see Quwaar, thats me. Or Qiraash, thats decended from that name... I use it as a backup.

Both are to be shorted into Qr, which is my Pr0-l33t shoot game nick... Tho Im not l33t at all XD But

Fear of the name is bigger then the fear of itself :)

So here you ahve it...Just use your imagination
Smile... Tomorrow will be worse

Adeli

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2005, 01:17:48 pm »
I usually make names up on the spot, no influence whatsoever...
ie. Adeli.
She was a rogue aspiring to become a shadowdancer (Prestige Class) in D&D, so I made up a story about her being adopted by shadowdancers, who were then killed because they hid her. The story never reached the point where it was explained why she was so sought after.

I created \'Tyralus\' out of nowhere, and now use it everywhere (my first WoW character was Tyralus the Night Elf hunter).

I adapted Adeli\'s story to Tyralus, fleshed it out a tad, and related it to PS. I was putting it on the forums, but I had a lot of computer trouble and lost it all.
Shadowdancer is a name he took because he had no other, the \'Shadowdancer\' guild that helped him after his family was killed, was destroyed and he seeks vengeance.
Hence, Tyralus Shadowdancer.

I like Red Jelly Beans!

Keyaz

(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2005, 01:39:08 pm »
my first ever character was Yaggi, an old nick form school if we could have surnames in MB it owuld have been Yaggi Nagasaki, i\'ll leave that one as it is ^^

Demarthl Reafrah

Dee mar thull (Thull - u Th\'ll) after about an hour playing as Yaggi i noticed the heavy roleplay atmosphere in those good times and thought it just didnt fit so i sat and used imagination, voila.

Kronxek Tufort - a smart Kran ?!? i couldn\'t decide what guild to go to so i made more characters to try out :D

Zayek - the notorius GM of doom 8o, Zayek (Za\'ek once) will return shortly, as Pirakika fades away

Pirakika Skyrim - felt liek a different race for a change, never been a ynwnn, why not... name... hmm... *glance at pictures on the wall* no, cant be Pirokiko, thats Fred Gallagher\'s character... mutilate time! Pira ... kika woo! i win!
Skyrim came form morrowind esIII because i liek that word, think Zayek shall inherit it.

the trux

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2005, 02:49:25 pm »
you all seem to have chosen very hero-like names...
but...
i think in a midevil world most of the kids are beeing born from poor people, non-aristocratic simple farmer or servant\'s doughters and sons. in my imagination such people don\'t have real lastnames, maybe something like \'smith\' or \'hillfarmer\' would be possible but nothing that sounds like a long history of honor.
my char is the son of a vagabond and a bar-tender, his mother (working  in a bar) just called him TRUX because it\'s fast and easy to shout...his mother also cannot remember of having a lastname...

/actually TRUX was the name of the neighbour\'s dog in my childhood...

Solanon

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2005, 01:30:16 pm »
Solanon Azureil is the name of my PS character.

Solanon Ebonheart was the name of one the characters I played back in my AD&D days. I tend to use the name for the first character I roll in any RPG type game I play.

I\'ve been able to reconnect with many gameworld friends by useing the same name over and over in different games.

It makes me feel good when someone sends me a message like: \"Hey I knew a drunken cleric in EQ with that name. Are you the same person?\" :))

Sevienthor

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2005, 02:02:50 pm »
Sevienthor (forum account name...) its from a story I\'m writing, that they rejected in story writing forum cause it wasn\'t about planeshift (woops, hahahahaha)
http://www.freewebs.com/meininterests (personal website)

The Key to winning in a game, is to have fun, if you do not have fun, it is pointless to play the game...

elscouta

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2005, 02:29:12 pm »
I wanted a name with elvish sounding and based upon my old counter-strike pseudo lescout (because of camping, duh 8)). I naturally came with Elscouta. The a at the end looks a bit odd though, because it makes me sound female, but it\'s too late to change it :( :P
High Loremaster of the Arcane Order.