Author Topic: Battle for middle earth and it'S copy protection  (Read 851 times)

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Battle for middle earth and it'S copy protection
« on: March 03, 2005, 11:40:36 am »
Well, I recently bought LOTR:Battle for middle earth, installed it, clicked on play, this tiny startupscreen poped out, and -nothing-. The fact that the last thing I hear is an acces on the DVD makes me think that it depends on the fact that it has problems with the safedisk chunk. All of those \"handy tips\" on EA\'s support side didnt change the fact.

So does anyone know a work-around, patch or something to get this annoying problem rid of?
I want to be a flame, to crumble to ash, but never ever burnt.

I want to rise higher, rise up to the heavens, but sink, just sink down deeper and deeper into nothing,

I want to be an angel, a chosen, a devil, but I am just a creature that ever wants what it wont get.

Annah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 11:53:29 am »
Maybe is from the dvd.
 Don\'t know, worked to me ...

PS - Though, in time you get tired of tons of games made exactly after movies. I wonder, what the he*l their Game Design dep. actually did. Why anyone can\'t make a new impressive story based on a famous Universe.
 Yea yea, I know, they want more money :P
 But Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (both 1 and 2) is different :)

* EDIT *

I like your \"sig\". Did you make the text? :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 11:54:27 am by Annah »
- Black Order -

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 12:43:26 pm »
Well You are right, but I didnt buy the game for the story, but for the game itself.

SWKotOR is really something different, actually it is the most genius series of RPGs ever (I even overlooked all those nasty little critters)

To stay true, my sig is taken out of a german musical, slightly changed and translated into english. And added some.

The whole thing:

I want to be free and freer, but I cant even shatter my chains.

I want to be an angel, a chosen, a devil, but I am just a creature that ever wants what it wont get.

I want to rise higher, rise up to the heavens, but sink, just sink down deeper and deeper into nothing,

I want to be an angel, a chosen, a devil, but I am just a creature that sneaks, and peaks, and devour anything it loves.

Furthermore I made up some \"kind-of\" poem about eternity:

eternity thou word of thunder,
thou cruel neverending pain,
when I try to understand you I wonder,
and I keep ruttling my chain

[Edit]

Can you give me farther explanation about the black order, for it\'s ways piqued interrest, but your site seems down.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 12:45:05 pm by Merdarion »

Siberiantiger

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 02:19:55 pm »
Well, dunno if its any help, but I had a similar problem when I installed the game and it was because the game recognized some cd-emulator software, but that was solved easily by uninstalling clone-cd (which I had back then) or any other similar program (the game has no problem with daemon-tools btw)
If that doesnt work, because that was totally not what you meant or any other reason, you could always bypass the cd-check by trying this: http://spacetarget.com/games/pc_lotr_battle_for_middle-earth.shtml
the LotR: Battle for Middle-Earth [ENGLISH/GERMAN] No-DVD/Fixed File or LotR: Battle for Middle-Earth [ENGLISH] No-CD/No-DVD/Fixed Image

good luck

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 02:23:38 pm »
Well I had all the emus uninstalled, thanks for the URL, I couldnt find one myself.

I really think that these new \"innovative\" copyprotectore are disgusting.

Incenjucar

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 02:24:36 pm »
Neverwinter Nights had the same issue..

Eventually they just killed the copy protection.
Underling Editor and Advisor for the Planeshift Comic Project.  Writers and Artists, and People with Ideas, Please Consider Getting Involved.  http://comic.ps-mc.com/forum/index.php

Siberiantiger

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 02:30:15 pm »
I couldnt find one myself.

then use http://www.gamecopyworld.com for future games, they almost got no-cd cracks for any game

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 02:36:52 pm »
thanks tiger!

I cant help but I think it is disgusting, They want good money for malfunctioned software, things like that shouldn\'t be.

Is the money they make more, through these protection so tremendous that it justifies unpleased customers?

It is the third game I encountered this problem, all of these had either SecuRom or SafeDisk copy protection (those who are saying how perfect they are)

And when EA use these, they at least should have support.
The instructions on their site are useless, and I could guess that they would say my hardware is malfunctional if I ask for replacement.

Tharizdun

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 09:53:36 pm »
I pretty much refuse to buy anything with so-called \"copy protection\" present, whether software, music or anything else. All current copy protection systems rely on damaging part of the media or damaging the product in a way that cd-r or dvd-r drives cant duplicate on a regular non-damaged disk.

These things go in cycles, copy protection and its equivalents have been around as long as software has. 20 years ago when the Commodore 64 was the hot new thing that everyone wanted there were copy-protection attempts on games and software - password wheels, passwords printed on dark-red \'photocopy-proof\' paper, cartridge things that you had to plug into the back of the computer before the game would work, questions at startup that required you to enter a random word from a random page of the game manual, and lots of other ways. It pretty much always failed in what it wanted to achieve, and only made things irritating or inconvenient for all people with legit software.

Some things dont change :)

Merdarion

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 01:01:31 pm »
Yeah well SafeDisk has it\'s 128943389517.tmp and so files, SecuRom it\'s instable sectors, and as an outcome we have CDs (or DVDs) which are not working. -BLAST-