Author Topic: Help please! firewall issue.  (Read 379 times)

WiseKran

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Help please! firewall issue.
« on: April 06, 2005, 02:23:55 pm »
I have been having problems connecting to games and some servers. I have spent countless hours on the phone with various tech support teams and they all say that My computer is firewalled.  I have no security software whatsoever at all. .

I have disabled the windows firewall, and my ISP does not block any ports or act asd any sort of firewall.

I have no router, and my modem a SB4200 Motorola is not a hardware firewall.

I have no spyware/adware/viruses.

No one I talk to can come up with any reason why my machine is firewalled.

I cant play FFXI which i just purchased :-(

Farewell Moogie, Farewell Draklar, Farewell Drey. you will be missed.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 03:22:23 pm »
there\'s nothing obvious so maybe it is something obscure. but, all i can really thing of is maybe a problem with the winsock files themselves. i\'ve seen similar behaviour before to this. but, not in xp, usually in the 9x platforms. i wish i could find the local list of valid file sizes for the winsock files. but they\'ve moved them on me and they haven\'t told me where they are.

in short. winsock damage can appear as a firewall. and there is no easy way to diagnose. at least from a front line phone tech perspective.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

WiseKran

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 08:28:12 pm »
heh, well I reformated and it works like magic so.. watever

Windows annoys me, but I hate mac\'s more.   Why cant technology just work

with that said.. noy my playOnline updater is getting disconnected in the middle of updates. maybe i dont have a solid connection.. i dont know.. the patch is like 3 gigs or something ridiculus. meh.. watever  ill just keep retrying until its succsesful

Farewell Moogie, Farewell Draklar, Farewell Drey. you will be missed.

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 09:10:41 pm »
what\'s ur windows service pack? If it\'s 2, then you don\'t need to disable firewall.  It will ask you to unblock applications that use ports n such.  I suggest looking up your defaut gateway, just in case you might have modem firewall.  Then type it into your browser.  If you don\'t come up to a modem\'s page, then I guess you are connected straight through to your ISP.
Hmm, if nothing of this works then I have another feeling.  You might be using a ethernet controller that is faulty.  It may work to browse the net and have no problems with speed, but it will block many ports for some reason.  I had that with old version of either 3com chip or was it D-link.  Doesn\'t matter.  You might want to try switching that controller if no other reason is found.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 09:35:55 pm »
\'format c:\' solves everything. but, i\'m still placing my money on a winsock problem.
may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

Socrates Demise

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 12:33:15 am »
darn i\'m too late.

this little ditty will fix most any winsock problem

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html