Author Topic: The PlaneShift Times Issue #3 OUT NOW  (Read 1179 times)

Adyna

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
The PlaneShift Times Issue #3 OUT NOW
« on: May 01, 2005, 03:47:53 am »
The PlaneShift Times Issue # 3 is published today!

And what a bumper issue we have  for you this time!

Sent to all subscribers and it is also up online at http://www.pstimes.co.uk

Is it A Spell Or A Plague, Will The Gods Protect Us?  8o

Meet Lordbug Dosaki and Agara Pendragon on their very special day :))

New Breed Of Outsider Still Causing Concern - Find out about the newest reported case  8o

Election of a new Octark - Late Breaking News, Only Just Reached The PS Times

The Ojaveda Experiment - What happens when things go terribly wrong, written by our Guest Reporter Seytra :]

A grand wine and beer tasting evening was held at Kada El\'s  Tavern - Find out if there was anyone standing at the end of the evening :evil:

The grand Hydlaa Festival of the Hunt was an event that  no self-respecting citizen of Yliakum could afford to miss, but if you did - catch up on the results here. :]

**If you have already subscribed and  not received your copy or are having difficulties displaying the newspaper please reply in this thread.**

To subscribe go to http://www.pstimes.co.uk  and get issue # 3 before we run out of copies :tongue:

The PlaneShift Times - Legends in the Making      

http://www.pstimes.co.uk
PS Times Discussion Forum click here

Cyl

• Hydlaa Notable
  • *Ninja Poof*
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 04:49:36 am »
The hills around odjaveda? I would rather say the hills around Hydlaa, around odjaveda you barely can find any tefusang, just bandits and rogues.
MMORPG - Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 05:37:02 am »
A very interesting issue .. I enjoyed reading it. Especially \"the ojaved experiment\" though that one still has me puzzled.

Thumbs up the the PS times team!
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2005, 06:35:40 am »
It could still use alot of improvement.

For instance, if you\'re trying to be RP, for goodness sake don\'t call townspeople \"NPCs\". -.-

Also I think you need to explain how the Nusquam Esse Plague is different from normal death where you just go to the Death Realm, because it makes little sense at the moment.

Asides from that, its a great effort. And thanks to this, I know that Ghosts|Jestal is still around, so I\'ll be actively hunting for him ingame. ;)

Adyna

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2005, 10:30:07 am »
Originally posted by Moogie
Also I think you need to explain how the Nusquam Esse Plague is different from normal death where you just go to the Death Realm, because it makes little sense at the moment.

Ok \'Nusquam Esse\' is Latin for \'Not Exist\' so there\'s the first clue.  Even if you don\'t know Latin there are plenty of other clues.

Mavric thought it was not a plague at all but a spell called \'The Wipe\' by a very powerful group of Mages.

\"But what about the poor people that died?\" asked MaidenIndigo \"When their bodies were found, all their belongings had gone as well\".

Theres another clue - not only did the victims die but the Plague took everything with it.  Unlike just going to the Death Realm when you run out again and everything is back to normal.

This is confirmed by the next clue:

Kaseijin interrupted with some very wise words \"This  is because Talad and Laanx are disgusted by the greed of their people and have sent a plague that will kill all and take everything with it, in hope that this time the wise ones that survive will be able to carry over their knowledge to the new souls\".

\'Take everything with it\' is the clue there.

Originally posted by Moogie
Asides from that, its a great effort. And thanks to this, I know that Ghosts|Jestal is still around, so I\'ll be actively hunting for him ingame. ;)

Whoah watch yourself Moogie - there was almost a compliment there ....... somewhere
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 10:30:39 am by Adyna »

Adyna

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2005, 10:32:28 am »
Originally posted by Zan
A very interesting issue .. I enjoyed reading it. Especially \"the ojaved experiment\" though that one still has me puzzled.

Thumbs up the the PS times team!

Glad you enjoyed it - a lot more people are actually contributing now which does mean it will be more interesting.  ;)

Phinehas

(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2005, 10:48:23 am »
My major suggestion is to decide whether or not it\'s going to be RP. As it is, it\'s neither, and I find that annoying. If it\'s not meant to be RP, fine. Personally, at that point it pretty much loses all interest for me. If it is meant to be RP, then you need some serious work done on it. Perhaps you should have two? An RP, and a non-RP? The way it is, it doesn\'t work. It\'s too RP to be considered non-RP, but it\'s too OOC for me to actually acknowledge it as part of the RP in Yliakum.

Also, I\'d strongly suggest splitting it up into different pages, rather than having it one long page. That way people could read the stuff they\'re interested in, and you could have more information in each issue, without it being annoyingly long.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 10:50:18 am by Phinehas »

Adyna

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2005, 12:07:09 pm »
As it stands at the moment, (mostly RP) is probably how it\'s going to stay.  I don\'t have time to write two issues and neither do I want to.

Phinehas

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2005, 12:15:52 pm »
So you\'re going to keep it RP enough that it\'s not much worth OOC, but not RP enough to actually be considered a part of  the RP Yliakum? Smart.

Under the moon

• Forum Addict
  • Writer extraordinaire.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2005, 11:18:06 pm »
Hmmm....perhaps I should have done the election article more RP. But alas, it was a \'Stop the presses!\" moment and I had little time to modifiy it from its intended forum format. Ah well...hindsight... :rolleyes:

The rumors make sense, as I see them. Nice thinking there. Though I think I would have called \'The Wipe\' spell something more like \'The Cleansing\'.

Adyna

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2005, 03:11:39 am »
Originally posted by Phinehas
So you\'re going to keep it RP enough that it\'s not much worth OOC, but not RP enough to actually be considered a part of  the RP Yliakum? Smart.

Sarcasm Sir be the lowest form of wit.

Adyna

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2005, 03:14:48 am »
Originally posted by Under the moon
Hmmm....perhaps I should have done the election article more RP.

No it was fine - I could have changed it if I had wanted to but it gave a bit of light reading for those that find 100% RP a bit heavy going.

MaidenIndigo

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • 藍子
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2005, 04:49:33 am »
I sort of agree with Moogie and Phineas on the \"either it\'s RP or it\'s not\" front.  Most people have their character names in their signitures and if the article is meant to be about what\'s taking place in Yliakum, then it should use RP names.   Er, or ask people if you can include them in the paper (In regards to the other thread, I sort of thought you would just use our ideas, not likenesses, too :P )

That\'s just my take on it, though.

Other than that, it\'s pretty good.  I enjoy the \"wall of shame\" bit highlighting how you should not act in the game.  /me points and laughs at this issue\'s featured n00b (keep in mind n00b != newbie)

I suppose my only real piece of constuctive criticism is that it is a bit long for one continuous HTML document.  Maybe you could at least put anchors in at the start of each article with an index at the top of the page?  That way people know what\'s in the entire paper without scrolling through it or reading the forums first.

~Indi

Phinehas

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2005, 09:09:38 am »
That\'s a matter of opinion, Adyna.

And yes, it would be good if it was split into several different pages, more like a real newspaper. I find that the idea of all the scrolling makes me bored. Perhaps I\'d enjoy it more if the pages were labelled separately so that I didn\'t have to scroll through the whole thing.

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2005, 06:06:38 pm »
Originally posted by Zan

Thanks! :)

For everyone who wonders: the idea struck me when I was reading this page ( which is about the (in)famous \"Philadelphia Experiment\" ), and noticing that I had a lot of screenies that\'d fit in. Thus, it is very loosely based on excerpts (or rather: basic information like times) from it, and I do not claim copyright in the original thing (just in case IP madness comes to this board).

As for the RP vs. OOC classification: I think it is something I\'d call \"pseudo-IC\". It\'s phrasing OOC things as if they were IC. Bugs, the wipe, engine / player deficiencies, these all are completely OOC. Looking at them as if a char was experiencing them is a fun thing to do, but not real IC. Basically what Phineas said, yet slightly different. :)

The report of the festival I consider IC, though.
In light of this I don\'t see anything wrong with the article about the wipe.

As for the multiple pages: either that or, as has been said, just have anchors at the headlines, and maybe an extra frame for the navigation.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 06:14:36 pm by Seytra »