Author Topic: How much will I have to change my name?  (Read 5877 times)

Keyaz

(No subject)
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2005, 03:51:40 pm »
without the one your name sems fine as a surname, It\'ll only get pulled up if someone knows what it means and feels it spoils the game, of which is unlikely.

if oyu have trouble thinking of a name, theres the name generator in the character creation section, handy that, no one sees it though.

also you could ask many of the people who have unique names, or maybe someone who has been renamed already, i can think of plenty of names :)

personally i prefer a name that has no meaning to it at all, and if it does i dont know about it :)

Demarthl for instance, just slapped a few letters together, same with Za\'ek, Pirakika, Kronxek, Solthor... many many names :)

Neo Neko

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2005, 10:25:03 pm »
Originally posted by Demarthl
without the one your name sems fine as a surname, It\'ll only get pulled up if someone knows what it means and feels it spoils the game, of which is unlikely.

No disrespect intended. Spoils the game? How are we to determine that? And frankly it should not matter if someone knows what it means.

I had my in game character name changed because someone thought they knew what it meant. Though they got the meaning and cultural refference wrong. I didn\'t argue the case much as I am just a visitor anyway. Frankly as an international community such as most internet based communities are I would think it would be advisable to accept multilingual names even those containing a \"meaning\". I can\'t even begin to remember my characters new name. And probably never will. I have to have it written down as it is more or less gibberish and means nothing to me.

I moderate at a few international communities. Our policy on names or Nicks etc is nothing offensive etc. And I will conceed in this case that numbers in names are undesirable.

My big problem is that because the system works the way it does name possibilities are severely restricted. And to then go and restrict it further because someone \"thinks\" it means something it does not. Well it just seems foolish.

I may try an in game petition after I deliberate on a name that might be acceptable and even memorable. Bob the Destroyer perhaps. No that won\'t do because of the way user IDs are generated and the tell system works. As surely someone has Bob already. If not IT IS MINE! :P

if oyu have trouble thinking of a name, theres the name generator in the character creation section, handy that, no one sees it though.

I see it. But the names it generates are hard to remember etc. :P It really messes up gameplay etc when I have to look up via menus a characters name just so I can get it right for a /tell command etc. I like cli better as I can go faster and more efficient than with GUIs.

personally i prefer a name that has no meaning to it at all, and if it does i dont know about it :)

Demarthl for instance, just slapped a few letters together, same with Za\'ek, Pirakika, Kronxek, Solthor... many many names :)

As I said already I disagree with the meaning issue. And for almost every one of your examples you posted below I can think of several possible cultural refferences for. Kronxek is rather close to Kronos. Solthor, are we talking about sun\'s or stars by sol or the viking mithos by thor. Even gibberish won\'t keep you safe. Perhaps I should petition the GMs for their cultural experience so I can choose something outside the scope of their cultural knowledge so it will not get misconstrued as having a meaning it does not.

Again I don\'t intend to offend anyone. I am just getting very frustrated with the way things are going. I am rather easy going and am not going to give up yet though. But this will turn alot of people off. I just hope the collective response isn\'t \"Then go somewhere else and do your own thing.\". I would like to contribute to the project what some of my many tallents might be able to provide in time.

Is-Not

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2005, 11:01:34 pm »
I know that I am not exactly in the position to give an opinion (my download of the game is at 53%), but I think that naming restrictions should not be incredibly strict.

In my humble opinion, references to obscure texts or people who fit in with the era should be perfectly acceptable.

Names which are modern or silly (such as Krad the Axe Murderer) should ofcourse be unacceptable, but names such as Shem Shinar (Shem is the son of Noah, Shinar is the location of the Tower of Babel, according to the Bible) are far out there.

Just my little thoughts, feel free to disregard it.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2005, 12:30:47 am »
Big big no to common names.
Bob? Never.
Biblical references? Come on, at least choose something slightly more obscure ;)
I guarantee that there are names out there that -do- fit in a fantasy setting that are not hard to remember. Nor are names in general hard to think of. Are you starved for meaning? Make up your own! No need to use something that already exists, in one culture or another. Granted there are words and names that will fit seamlessly into the Planeshift world, but not all of them do, and it is up to the GMs (who are wonderful, trusted people) to decide when someone needs a renaming. I trust their judgment, as do many others.

The point is, try not to use it if it\'s a \"plain Earth-name,\" un-fantasy, or belongs to a famous individual or thing or place (whether actual or fictional).
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Neo Neko

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2005, 05:12:24 pm »
Originally posted by Karyuu
Bob? Never.
Biblical references? Come on, at least choose something slightly more obscure ;)

But the point is no matter what you choose there is a high probablility that what you choose will be the equivalent or similar to bob in another culture. Perhaps sans palindrome  nature. And frankly I had something obscure. But because people could read different meanings into it. Well it was not acceptable.

I guarantee that there are names out there that -do- fit in a fantasy setting that are not hard to remember. Nor are names in general hard to think of.

I love the work of Tolkien and Lewis. And yes there are some original names in their work that I think would fit with the Planeshift GM ideals very well. But even the more memorable ones are hard to remember and would be unnacceptable due to the fact they are remotely recognisable. Ideals are excelent. But don\'t let them obscure a greater vision when building a community. Which is what I suspect planeshift is rather about.

Are you starved for meaning? Make up your own! No need to use something that already exists, in one culture or another. Granted there are words and names that will fit seamlessly into the Planeshift world, but not all of them do, and it is up to the GMs (who are wonderful, trusted people) to decide when someone needs a renaming. I trust their judgment, as do many others.

I am not accusing the GMs of being bad people. They are doing what they see as their job. And that is fine. I just think that the restrictions should be loosed a bit. I am a very creative person. But names etc are perhaps not my strong suit. So sue me if I like to construct names etc from cultural influences, or that have double meanings/entandre. I really like Planeshif and some of the ideas behind it. But I think being to strict with stuff like this could be the death of it. I have followed the project for some years now. And it has recently gotten to a point where I have been letting all my friends and aquaintances know it is getting rather playable. In the past there was either little to do or I was getting some 5 fps at best on my Athlon XP 2500+ Barton and Radeon 8500SE 256Mb with 512MB of ram.

The point is, try not to use it if it\'s a \"plain Earth-name,\" un-fantasy, or belongs to a famous individual or thing or place (whether actual or fictional).

The point is by what measure do we decide that? Some people have strange notions of what \"plain earth names\" are. Moonunit anyone? Dweezel? And it\'s not just the Zappa family. Some of my black friends and aquaintances have a real penache for whipping up some of the strangest unpronouncable names for no reason. Hell if I decided to use Hung Lo someone would probably still find issue with it. :p And where fame is concerned it is all a matter of cultural proximity. What are the guidelines if any on the subject? Is it just up to the individual GM. Or is their some sort of peer review? If we are going to be this strict with the names there needs to be a name faq on the main site that must be viewed before registering. Stating something like \"no common names. no famous names. no names constructed from real words of any culture anywhere at any time.\" etc. It\'s not a case of false advertisement but it is quite a downer none the less....... If this is \"how things are\" lets be up front with it from the get go.

Heck I bet right now there are all sorts of people who think they know what my nick means and are totally wrong. No I am not a big fan of the matrix. And I have never owned or are very fond of cats. To be quite sure the meaning is rather deep and obscure.  But somehow unnacceptable none the less. :(

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2005, 05:38:21 pm »
And frankly I had something obscure. But because people could read different meanings into it. Well it was not acceptable.

If you think your name fits, you could always present an argument to the GMs. You have the right to at least explain the motives behind choosing whatever name you chose, and they listen to such explanations. If your reasons have true (roleplay!) significance, they may allow it. Otherwise, tough luck.

Ideals are excelent. But don\'t let them obscure a greater vision when building a community. Which is what I suspect planeshift is rather about.

I don\'t think these naming rules are obscuring anything, frankly. It\'s my belief that they are perfect for building just the right, creative, unique, roleplay environment. I also don\'t think that the argument of \"It\'s hard to remember\" works in the slightest - there are plenty, pleeenty of names that seem to \"flow\" and are short of length.

But names etc are perhaps not my strong suit. So sue me if I like to construct names etc from cultural influences, or that have double meanings/entandre.

Those cultural influences do not exist in the Planeshift world, so there would be no reason whatsoever for you to use them. I don\'t really understand why this point would be such a difficulty for many people - Planeshift is its own realm, with its own history, and its own cultures. Whatever OOC cultural references you bring in will be rendered useless IC, and thus they will serve you only in an OOC fashion, which yes ruins the IC atmosphere.

I really like Planeshif and some of the ideas behind it. But I think being to strict with stuff like this could be the death of it.

Naming rules being the death of Planeshift? I highly doubt that ;) The greatly vast majority of players don\'t seem to have any problems with the current rules, and thus it doesn\'t seem as though they will turn people -away- from the game completely.

Some people have strange notions of what \"plain earth names\" are. Moonunit anyone? Dweezel? And it\'s not just the Zappa family. Some of my black friends and aquaintances have a real penache for whipping up some of the strangest unpronouncable names for no reason.

Then they are clearly not \"plain earth names,\" are they? (Moonunit would never work in PS anyway :P)

It is up to the individual GMs to decide if a name is suitable. I cannot recall if the naming rules are posted somewhere, but I do remember seeing something of the sort around. I will check, unless someone else can bring it up quicker.

If we are going to be this strict with the names there needs to be a name faq on the main site that must be viewed before registering. Stating something like \"no common names. no famous names. no names constructed from real words of any culture anywhere at any time.\" etc.

I agree wholeheartedly on this. I think such rules should be in big bold text within the character creation process itself, in the client. It would prevent a lot of tooth grinding ;)
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

John_Thazer

• Hydlaa Notable
  • From the ivory tower, I gaze upon thee
    • View Profile
    • Chaotic Warriors
(No subject)
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2005, 05:43:41 pm »
Bob? Never.
I guarantee that there are names out there that -do- fit in a fantasy setting that are not hard to remember. Nor are names in general hard to think of. Are you starved for meaning? Make up your own! No need to use something that already exists, in one culture or another. Granted there are words and names that will fit seamlessly into the Planeshift world, but not all of them do, and it is up to the GMs (who are wonderful, trusted people) to decide when someone needs a renaming. I trust their judgment, as do many others.

And what is exactly wrong with common names...Some of the names do not fit fantasy settings right...but not all...take my name John...nice and simply name...which unfortunatly I cannot use...due..it being taken. I still think it\'s silly to have First names unique. It kinda...makes me feel bad, when I use some other name...Even though my character\'s name in his youth was Jonneth a\'Thazeer, athough that\'s a long story.

You can try, but you shall fail! Seek us not, we shall find you.

Neo Neko

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2005, 10:39:51 pm »
I don\'t think these naming rules are obscuring anything, frankly. It\'s my belief that they are perfect for building just the right, creative, unique, roleplay environment. I also don\'t think that the argument of \"It\'s hard to remember\" works in the slightest - there are plenty, pleeenty of names that seem to \"flow\" and are short of length.

I didn\'t say they were in particular. But that being to strict with \"such\" things in general would be a big turn off. And possibly drive many people away. Obscuring the game from a bigger audience that could provide alot more interaction, gameplay etc.

Those cultural influences do not exist in the Planeshift world, so there would be no reason whatsoever for you to use them. I don\'t really understand why this point would be such a difficulty for many people - Planeshift is its own realm, with its own history, and its own cultures. Whatever OOC cultural references you bring in will be rendered useless IC, and thus they will serve you only in an OOC fashion, which yes ruins the IC atmosphere.

Maybe I haven\'t played enough MMORPGs or any others at all. Maybe I didn\'t play enough D&D as a child or at all. Maybe I am off base with thinking what you said is a bit obsessive and quirky. ;) Yeah I definatly think there could be some obtuseness issues where regular people are concerned. :P

Naming rules being the death of Planeshift? I highly doubt that ;) The greatly vast majority of players don\'t seem to have any problems with the current rules, and thus it doesn\'t seem as though they will turn people -away- from the game completely.

The name thing just happened to be on topic to the thread. There is more than just that. But I am convinced it can/will eventually be taken care of for most things. And BTW it is often very hard to determine if something would drive people away. Generally once they are away they don\'t bother to tell you about it. ;) They just go.

Then they are clearly not \"plain earth names,\" are they? (Moonunit would never work in PS anyway :P)

Like I said. Where is the ruler to measure this. If I were a Zappa etc such names might seem plain indeed. Plain just like famous etc is a matter of cultural proximity.

And remember. In order to build a unique culture/world you don\'t have to abandon your native culture/world. Just expand it to encompase others.

Teegress

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2005, 03:07:05 pm »
Yeah this name thing has got the mods uptight.
Don\'t worry, my post here will probably lock this thread too, if they don\'t delete my post.
You can:
a) make a name of just consonants that make no sense and is hard for your friends to remember, much less spell.
b) stay within the rules and choose a name, and 3 weeks later a GM in a bad mood will change it for you.
c) get lucky, and pick a name that only has inuendos in Swahili.
d) just let the game pick your name for you.

Same thing applies for guild names too.  Just be sure you approach ALL GM\'s and get their approval before you try to recruit anyone.

Rule #1: Moderators are always right.
Rule #2: When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
After a time, you will find that having, is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting.  It is not logical, but often true.
           Spock

acraig

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2005, 03:28:45 pm »
Teegress I understand you have issues and if you\'ve sent me any information on it I will answer that and hopefully will have it resolved for you.  In the mean time please do not add fuel to the fire, we are simply trying to do the best we can.
----------
Andrew
"For all I know, she's lying, everyone's lying; welcome to the Internet"

scooter

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2005, 08:16:36 pm »
Just to play devil\'s advocate a little, though I definitely agree that many phrases, obsenities, and other names just don\'t belong.  But who\'s to say that some sect of the many Yaklium (sp?) cultures would not have similar to the ones we have today.  Also who is to say a word with one meaning in the languages of today could not have another meaning in Yaklium, or be a name of no meaning at all.  If you really want to be so picky as to prevent all names that might have some remote similarity to words with cultural meaning today, then why not force everyone to learn a language that is only spoken in game.  English or any other language for that matter brings a bit of current culture into the game with it just by being spoken or typed.

Of course, one might say that talking to the NPCs, using \"tell me about\" followed by single key words is a different language other than English ;-)

Lyrah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2005, 11:19:26 pm »
Jacob Blarney 3rd, Steven White 4th etc would be acceptable in my book, but I would hope you would have the colorful history that made the 1st and 2nd SO noteworthy to make a 3rd or 4th worth the bother.

BUT...other than that tiny tiney exception, I agree, numbers and names don\'t go well together in the extremely vast majority of cases.

Originally posted by Zan
How about using \"Amh?in Samildanach\" .. it keeps the same meaning more or less and gets rid of that annoying number.

Because I have to agree with Karyuu, numbers shouldn\'t be in any names. Ever seen a real name with a number in? Don\'t think so .. it just doesn\'t work even though many people online use it. I personally can\'t stand it and will be hesitant to talk to anyone who isn\'t original enough to create a name without actual numbers in it.

The other part of your name seems fine to me though.

Lyrah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2005, 11:35:48 pm »
One name I know of that uses the descriptor rules is Bohan, OR Bohand (as it was several hundred years ago), OR Bowman (which gives the whole meaning away). Archer, Taylor, etc.

There is also a LONG line of names that use descriptions of either the baby in question OR where that family lived in naming the child, using older English than we use...of course. But I have to say that they are lovely names how ever they came up with them.

I still like how the Native Americans came up with names. Many tribes had naming rules where you had TWO names in one life time, your born name and your earned name. The born name could be what your mother saw either shortly after she knew she was pregnant or what she saw shortly after birth or shortly before (Two elks, running bear, little foot for a breech baby that lived). And earned name was a title you EARNED, Eagles Cry (your war cry sounds like an eagle\'s cry, OR you just happen to call out your war cry exactly when an eagle crys on too many occassions to discount it), Silver wolf (the creature you met on your spirit journey), Little calling dove (more than likely the name of a rather soft spoken female of less than remarkable looks, but nice dispossion).

With Native American type naming, numbers written out might ALSO come into play, IE nine toes, eleven fingers (Ugh, not a nice story, but more than likely if your tribe was warlike...you would NOT be messed with often!), or Two Hawks (I actually met a guy by this name, his pet name was Hawks, this was his born name, but when he went on his spirit journey...guess who he met...yep, same two hawks...so some born names just might stick).

I would not be TOO disrupted RP wise with a name of an ancient (or recently revived) cultures god/dess, but a name like Billbo, or Lllegoless or fill in the plagerized rarely lived up to book/movie/other games NPC lore character would most likely make me...and many others GAG.

Originally posted by Nekomusume
In regards to using numbers in names... Actually, in at least one language I\'m aware of, it does happen... Japanese.

Several japanese names use \"one\" in them, in various ways - the best example being \"Ichi\", which is simply  the number one.

Using the arabic numerals in names is admitadly quite wierd.

some other name related points...

A great many names started off as descriptive terms or job listings - I mean, think about the english family names Smith, Cartwright, Cooper, Mason, Miller, Baker, Farmer, etc.  

Most names used in english are actually just words or phrases in other languages (or even just old or middle english), that may have been corrupted somewhat heavily by their use as names in places that don\'t use those languages. The name \"Kelly\" for example, derrives, I believe, from a gaelic word for warrior. In most of the world, I believe that name meanings are generally well known and immediately recognizable. If you name your daughter \"Ai\" in Japan, there isn\'t a person who speaks the language who won\'t know that her name is, litterally, Love.

Certain name elements refer to social status. The name \"Fitz\" actually means bastard (ie. illegitimate child), for example, and would be given to an acknowledged bastard child of an aristocrat.

Then of course, you have surnames like \"Leifsdottir\" or \"Erikson\" which basicly just say who your father was.

Really, when people say \"pick something that doesn\'t mean anything\" - they are going completely against how people have been traditionally named.

Lyrah

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2005, 11:47:47 pm »
Solthor= Sol(sun) Thor(Norse god of thunder). And I didn\'t even have to google that one up.

There are reasons to have a name that has a meaning, and I had felt that having a name that means the direct opposite of what you currently are or are like in personality, appearance or dispossion was ironic, but I now understand the \"magic\" behind it. If you claim something often enough, slowly you become it. Sometimes it works, but I have met a few Melody\'s that could NOT hold a tune in a hermetically(air tight) sealed golden bucket, not sure magic would have helped either.

And I have met a Raven or two that was a blue eyed blonde that wore alot of grey...*shrug* or a Jade with blue eyes from England. *shrug* but oddly both names moods fit them(Raven was very Edgar Allen Poe ish, and Jade was serene and tranquil). *shrugs again*

also you could ask many of the people who have unique names, or maybe someone who has been renamed already, i can think of plenty of names :)

Teegress

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2005, 12:22:59 am »
I think Lyrah makes some excellent points in the posts.  I also think a lot of people put some serious thought into their name before assuming the character.  As you brought out in your posts, they have valid reasons (at least to them) for taking on their moniker.
Some people think they are phonetic geniuses and come up with \"cutesie\" type names that really don\'t fit in role play.  They might be fine for the irc but \"bigstud,\" \"ipfreely,\" and the likes do not fit in PS, or any role playing game IMHO.
If you stick around PS a bit you will notice that even the \"cutesies\" that do not get noticed by GM\'s, usually do not stay very long, or if they do, they voluntarily change their name because they see they what fits into the community.
I think I would like to see the born/earned name idea used in PS.  Come in as either an assigned name or \"Newbie#854\",  then after an orientation period, go before their \"tribe\" and negotiate a name they can live with.
After a time, you will find that having, is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting.  It is not logical, but often true.
           Spock