Author Topic: Anyone know where I can get a decent laptop?  (Read 1087 times)

ajdaha

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone know where I can get a decent laptop?
« on: May 27, 2005, 03:58:27 pm »
I am looking to purchase a notebook (laptop) computer which shall be able to run World of Warcraft at pretty much, maximum performance.
Can anyone recomend such a computer for about 800 dollars or less?
Just wondering for I am not the most experienced in purchasing computers.
BTW, why does it cost so much more to get a decent laptop than a PC?
love

John_Thazer

• Hydlaa Notable
  • From the ivory tower, I gaze upon thee
    • View Profile
    • Chaotic Warriors
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 04:11:55 pm »
OK to answer the last question...Laptops or Notebooks are more expensive than Desktp PCs because of the technology used in Laptops. It\'s smaller hence more expensive to make, same with LCD screens, why you think they so expensive.

For $800 or ?400 in our british pounds, you can get a decent Laptop...So one thing you should avoid, and that is stree retailers....they usually have it more expensive than online. You can try and looking at some websites, like Dell and etc, or price comparing sites, Kelkoo. If I was buying a Laptop with a tight budget I would have looked at eBay, there you can specify all the specs of the Laptop and look for how much they go for.

You can try, but you shall fail! Seek us not, we shall find you.

provisionist1

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My Art:
Or...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 06:00:25 pm »
look on ebay and get a slightly used one. You should be able to find a top of the line one off of ebay for $800.

Buy a Mac!!! But it\'s probably not your thing, so...

Buy a Linux-running machine!!!

Xirius
Xirius Dolaktisht
AD LIBERTATEM

fken

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 06:44:11 pm »
I habe been on ebay to buy a dvd with a gift hey did to me
-> I gave my Credit card number for 2,95euros...

and now Im scared cause I cant erase my account and ebay or maybe anyone else send me mail saying my account has been violated... I dunno if its true but for a dvd be scared like that... If could come back to the past and dont buy this dvd I would be happier...

buy new computer... especially because of its battery... or prepare yourself: you risk to have to buy another peripherals (really expensive ones).

For example in France I buy 256Mb of Ram (266Mhz) for 79? and in fact the 400Mhz costed 49?... be sure the upgrade of the laptop especially once they are old will cost a lot of money !

Refuse to pay any OEM release of windows : youll keep 100$ for the rest of the pc
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 06:45:16 pm by fken »

Cha0s

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 06:58:51 pm »
The eBay account violation emails are scams. If you actually did what they said and entered your name, credit card, etc. on their page, then you\'ve just had your identity stolen, congratulations. If this is the case, contact your credit card company and local law enforcement ASAP.

I\'m really hoping you didn\'t do what they said, though... Then all you have to do is forward the email to the real eBay people (spoof@ebay.com I think) and you\'re all set. :)

EDIT: wrong email address, it\'s \"spoof\" not \"scam\" ;)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 07:06:14 pm by Cha0s »
Cha0s
Mac OS X Forum Moderator
In-Game Roleplay Forum Moderator
Please search and skim existing threads before posting!

fken

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 07:01:39 pm »
I dont like to be contacted like that first
And then I would like to unsubscribe I wrote that to ebay and they havent noticed it I think...

EDIT : I know its spoof indeed cause i forward the scam to them but they had some problem to tell me how I can unsubscribe and even They have character encoding issues... The scam seems to be more reallistic than the real ebay...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 07:09:14 pm by fken »

ajdaha

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 06:20:24 am »
Making something smaller only requires more design, no? And less materials. Sooo, why does it cost more?

I\'ll check out ebay, I\'ve never used it. But does anyone have the recomended specs for playing recent games at full performance?What is more important ram or processing power?
Thanks.

For example, which would you say is better:
3.0 ghz speed - 256 mb ram
or 2.8 ghz speed - 512 mb ram

???
And why?

Edit -  this looks promising, but its only got 23 hours left on it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11173&item=6771384592&rd=1
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 06:32:33 am by ajdaha »
love

fken

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 07:54:35 am »
200Mhz more wont be usefull but 256Mb of RAM could be necessary.
Dont buy a laptop to play cause you will have some surprise
If you really want to play with your computer buy a laptop which cost more of money : you will need a very good video card (I think the best Ive seen under a laptop is 64Mb or 128Mb)
Your hard drive and your dvdrom will be very slow. And the most important in a pc is the clock of the motherboard... but the problem is that everything works together : if you have a very powerful cpu and 64Mb of Ram your computer will be really slow.

Buying a laptop to play is a very silly thing believe in me Ive done this mistake...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 07:54:51 am by fken »

Nada

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 09:49:50 am »
I think that today one can safely say that a processor\'s frequency by itself doesn\'t really mean anything anymore, AMD has stopped naming its processors after their true speed and Intel has followed suit recently. Processor performance depends on the features packed in it (instruction sets, the amount of L2 cache, the actual design, etc). Also, for laptops, power consumption is a key issue as it affects battery life, the amount of heat and noise produced.
Here\'s an article about the advantages of the Pentium M over the Pentium 4 architecture, a very interesting read.
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/index.html

Now, if you\'re looking for a desktop-replacement (that is if you don\'t really intend to use your laptop on the move), a Pentium 4 system might be the best choice as its cheaper but heavier and more power-hungry than a Pentium M. Don\'t forget AMD. I think their mobile solution, the Turion, is cheaper (not sure). And then there\'s the Athlon64 (desktop-replacement).

Concerning RAM, if you intend to play today\'s games opt for 512MB. Windows XP needs it and with many Linux distros getting bloated, it doesn\'t seem excessive.
You\'ll want to have enough RAM because laptop hard drives are generally slower so you want to minimize any caching on the disk (anyway that\'s applicable to all systems).

Then there\'s the graphics part, for World of Warcraft, the recommended system requirements state 64MB of video RAM. Also, you\'d better get a system with a dedicated graphics chip. And if you really want to play 3D games something like the ATI Radeon Mobility 9700 or above (which come with 64MB VRAM or more).

However, as fken mentionned, I don\'t think $800 will buy you a gaming laptop.
You can always check Dell\'s refurbished systems:
In the US:
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/segmenter.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfo
There are really good bargains there but they don\'t stay around very long.
You can get a very decent gaming system (Pentium M 735 (1.7GHz, 2MB L2 cache), 512MB RAM, Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, 80GB 5400RPM HDD, DVD SuperMulti DL, 15.4\" screen, Wifi and all) for ~1200Euros from street retailers in France now so I guess if you buy online and in dollars it should be around $1000-1100, can\'t really say.

Now on the topic of why laptops are more expensive (though prices have been decreasing drastically these few months):
- As you said, more technological design (reducing power consumption, miniaturization, etc)
- Less materials, yes, but lighter and sturdier ones too (though often that\'s cheap plastic)
- Manufacturing processes are often newer and more complex (have to build new production plants, etc)
- Rejection rate is higher (because of the complexity, it\'s more likely there will be a physical fault, so you pay for what they\'ve not been able to sell)

@fken: buying a gaming laptop is not necessarily a silly thing to do, especially if space is a premium. Though often a small-form-factor system like the Shuttle would be best.
Top of the line laptop graphics chips are now nearly shoulder to shoulder with their desktop counterparts: the NVidia Geforce 6800 Go Ultra sports 256MB of VRAM. [edit] and the ATI Mobility Radeon X800 for that matter [/edit]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 10:28:34 am by Nada »
\"Thoughts, like fleas, jump from man to man, but they don\'t bite everybody.\" - Stanislaw Lec

ajdaha

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2005, 12:01:42 pm »
Interesting, thank you for the info.
But is the Radeon x800 even out yet?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 01:28:42 pm by ajdaha »
love

John_Thazer

• Hydlaa Notable
  • From the ivory tower, I gaze upon thee
    • View Profile
    • Chaotic Warriors
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 02:27:43 pm »
Originally posted by fken
I habe been on ebay to buy a dvd with a gift hey did to me
-> I gave my Credit card number for 2,95euros...

and now Im scared cause I cant erase my account and ebay or maybe anyone else send me mail saying my account has been violated... I dunno if its true but for a dvd be scared like that... If could come back to the past and dont buy this dvd I would be happier...

Strange it didn\'t use to ask for Credit number on ebay, on paypal yes. And you can delete your ebay account if you wish.

You can try, but you shall fail! Seek us not, we shall find you.

Nada

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2005, 03:04:02 pm »
Originally posted by ajdaha
But is the Radeon x800 even out yet?

ATI lists the systems with their chip here:
http://www.ati.com/buy/onboard/mobile/mobilityradeonx800.html
Although, at $3000-4000, you\'d better have inherited from a rich uncle recently.   ;)
\"Thoughts, like fleas, jump from man to man, but they don\'t bite everybody.\" - Stanislaw Lec

Efflixi Aduro

• Veteran
  • O_o
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2005, 04:58:00 pm »
Voodoo, need I say more?

http://www.voodoopc.com/showRoom.aspx?categoryID=2

Bit expensive though. :P
Lol Internet

ajdaha

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 01:37:16 pm »
Okay, so the graphics card is important, but what about processing power. What does the graph of \"Processing Power (mhz)\" vs \"visual benefit whilst gaming\" look like?

Same question for Ram. Is 512 good, how much benefit shall I get from 1024?
Why do I have the option of having up to 4 512/1024 Ram slots whilst ordeing a computer. What are the benefits of that?
love

fken

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2005, 03:00:39 pm »
Originally posted by Nada
 for ~1200Euros from street retailers in France now so I guess if you buy online and in dollars it should be around $1000-1100, can\'t really say.

WHAT!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding ?
one dollars->0,70-0,75euros
so the price of the computer would be 1500euros even if its in USA (but I recognize I get nice prices for my computer :D Ill get one for free very soon for example...)

Now on the topic of why laptops are more expensive (though prices have been decreasing drastically these few months):
- As you said, more technological design (reducing power consumption, miniaturization, etc)
- Less materials, yes, but lighter and sturdier ones too (though often that\'s cheap plastic)
- Manufacturing processes are often newer and more complex (have to build new production plants, etc)
- Rejection rate is higher (because of the complexity, it\'s more likely there will be a physical fault, so you pay for what they\'ve not been able to sell)

it\'s right

@fken: buying a gaming laptop is not necessarily a silly thing to do, especially if space is a premium. Though often a small-form-factor system like the Shuttle would be best.
Top of the line laptop graphics chips are now nearly shoulder to shoulder with their desktop counterparts: the NVidia Geforce 6800 Go Ultra sports 256MB of VRAM. [edit] and the ATI Mobility Radeon X800 for that matter [/edit]

I really think it would be better to think about what you are saying before saying.
SCSI -> 15000 rd per min
SATA -> 10500 rd per min
PCMCIA -> 5400 rd per min

So it\'s twice more quick (SCSI is 3 times more quick)

the Desktop graphic card need big fan because its really hot... Do you really think you could use the same graphic cards with laptop?

How many ram can you have with a laptop?

how many GB of HD ?

What\'s the speed of the cdrom ? dvdrom? cd - dvd recorder?

what about mother board clock?

What about sound card?

No really there is no comparaison. If you wanna play new game forget your laptop (for example there is a new mmorpg (I dont remember the name) which sometimes can only reach 7 frames per seconds with one of the best home personal computer)

cpu: there is a difference between 64bits and 32bits cpu. My advice is 64bits ... but if you want full speed with 64bits cpu linux would be better...
Increasing ram is a good way to increase the power of your computer BUT you will need a good way to use it. Linux is the best way to manage RAM in comparaison with windows. I dunno if WinXP has a limit... each release of Windows had a limit (win 95 -> 64Mb | win 98 -> 194Mb for example ... I tested windows 95 with 96Mb I swear windows forgot to erase used memory it was horrible...)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 03:19:31 pm by fken »