Author Topic: Spawning  (Read 1271 times)

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Spawning
« on: July 12, 2005, 03:28:43 pm »
I think the spawns could be made more realistic.  So here are a few ideas.

The sewers is full of pipes (and other holes could be added) so how about the rats spawn randomly out of those, then quickly scamper away and scatter.  It would at a bit more realism, and if the rats were constantly on the move things would not be as boring for the newbies.  To discourage camping, rats could be too \"afraid\" to spawn out of a hole that recently saw a few of their friends deaths.  Clackers could spawn in similar matter out of caves in the wilderness, and gobbles could spawn in pools of water.

Bandits could spawn at the already existing bandit camp on Oja road, and scatter out from there.  (an actual camp could be added)  Other monsters like tefus, rogues/thugs, trepors, and consumers could just spawn off away from people and wander towards them.  One way or another, I\'d like to get rid of instant teleportation-like spawning.

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::

dragonfire999

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 03:31:07 pm »
It would probably require extensive coding for this idea, but i likey

= <3

DeviantArt

zabeal

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 03:41:56 pm »
The rats used to move around on set paths, but that was causing probelms, they would up walking thru walls.... of course, now if they chase you they will still walk thru walls, but that is already fixed for the update. Once they don\'t fall, making them lost forever, then walking can be added back in.

Lux perpetua luceat eis

Robinmagus

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Pixies!!
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 04:12:48 pm »
I really like the idea. Because camping, is total boredom! But as zabeal said, first things first. but still, You get 4 out of 5 rubies from Robin! :D
Talamir - DeT, Dark Empire, etc, etc, etc.

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 04:28:10 pm »
Yeah, I know... half the wish list threads have ideas that require a pile of bugs to be fixed first.  But this isn\'t going anywhere, so whenever that day comes we\'ll be ready to destroy the scourge of the popup monster.  :P

For consumers, I think they could lay eggs in the wild, which would then hatch and scatter mini consumers into the world.  Tefus seem like live births to me, so we could have little baby tefus be born to add to the herd.  (preferably when no one is around, so no animation is needed :P )

Seytra

• Forum Addict
  • No system can compensate lack of common sense.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 04:29:21 pm »
This is the best idea I\'ve seen so far in a thread with a title containing the word \"spawn\" :)

In fact, I like it very much. :tup:

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 04:11:48 pm »
Here\'s another good one:

Rogues/Thugs could spawn randomly out of dark shadowy areas.  They are thief-type NPCs, so they could be \"stalking\" you until you see them.

Pestilence

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 05:01:13 pm »
LOL at Seytra. Know what you mean :)

I tottally love the idea of that although it shouldn\'t be made to hard with the rats as the lowest moster but with the higher mosters it should be made much harder to find and kill them perhaps even having to require to make sure the herd grows first or something to make sure there is something to hunt :)

Might take a while to be added but it definately give PS a feeling of reality. :)

frostwolf10

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 10:18:55 pm »
The creatures could come out of their den at some point in the day to hunt and stay there to sleep. and a den could be used only once, then it is either taken over, or falls apart because it wasn\'t taken care of, or you dismantled it for some necessary resource, thus enlengthening the time required for a respawn. hmmm why not add creatures that appear only at certain times. The only way a pop up creature could be real is if a wizard teleports him to that area, so getting rid of pop up rats is a good idea.

I can think of a way to implement rats coming out of a pipe right now though, spawn him behind a wall, and make him move through a small part of the wall that has a picture of a pipe entrance on it. It\'ll look real funny though... But the player can\'t see the pop up rat, and the rat will go through the picture of a pipe. I don\'t think its that hard, unless there is something I have missed...
Characters: Wolf Rocner

Gravalden

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 08:10:22 pm »
The sewers is full of pipes (and other holes could be added) so how about the rats spawn randomly out of those....

dave didn\'t we already cover this in the thread knowen as spawn owning and a way to keep it from happening...

*edit*

in fact here is your post word for word... dave...

Hmm... I don\'t even have to post anymore... Karyuu does it for me.  

My pipe spawn suggestion might shrink the number of spawn points, true. But, when the rats exit, they\'d scurry off and scatter off to parts of the sewers without rats. And since they wouldn\'t exit a pipe anywhere near the smell of a dead friend, camping near the pipe wouldn\'t be that useful.

People will always camp. We just want to take it down from a boring, monotonous, annoyance to a \"realistic\", \"natural\", (note the quotes... giant one-eyed rats are not real...) part of the game. If teams of players go hunting with a strategy to outsmart the rats, in my opinion that\'s great! We have players working together and using intelligence to hunt. Granted though, if the hunt ever gets to easy, we\'d need to make the rats smarter...  

Though, on the subject of \"hogging\" a mob, the situation is far less clear. Your character may simply not be the sharing type, or just might not feel like it at the moment. They shouldn\'t be forced to share stuff. The problem is that the kill-protector is way too strong. Touch a monster and it\'s yours... I think the thing needs to go, frankly. I\'d much rather have the forcing be at the end, with experience and loot assignment. (though, we\'d need some way to settle fights between players... and that\'s another thread... or another forum for that matter) And, higher-level players sometimes hog mobs out of laziness/greed and sometimes lower-level players just think they are. There are sometimes some newbies that think they can take on something that they really can\'t, and some people flat out ignore them. The only real solution to the host of problems associated with hogging mobs, is to remove the ability to hog mobs. This stupid kill-protector annoys me more and more every day............

Double-posting! :P --Karyuu
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 01:23:20 pm by Gravalden »
Gravalden... also my ingame name if you want to talk more....

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2005, 01:05:11 pm »
Gravalden:
1)  Don\'t double post.  Use the edit button.
2)  Use the [quote ] [/quote] BBCode to designate quotes.  (no space after \"quote\" )
3)  Look at the dates of the threads in question.  This thread here is my first post with this idea.  The \"Karyuu does it for me\" thread is newer than this, as evident by the fact that she is quoting this thread.  I\'ve posted other parts/evolutions of my spawning idea in other threads that have popped up on this and related topics.

EDIT:
Radix:
4)  Why in the world did you just \"remove\" your post?...  Don\'t edit old posts for anything other than fixing dead links.  (editing a post bumps the thread)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 02:13:24 pm by DaveG »

Hirantak

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 12:50:38 pm »
Yeah, I\'ve seen a couple of rats walking around on the inter-city paths, and they would walk a bit, jut upwards, come back down, repeat... Instead of a set path, how about having them simply spawn like usual, then mill around in the same area, but have more spawns than there are now??

I played Lineage II at my friend\'s house, and in it there were open fields full of various rabbits and wolves and foxes that pretty much had spawn points (though they tended to spawn after you left sight of them) and usually didn\'t move around very much. Not very much at all. The game developers should try a system like this. It\'s similar to the cuurrent one and would make it more like an adventure, and less like a job.

ylikone

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 03:31:38 pm »
Having monsters move around after spawning is fine... but that still doesn\'t stop the spawn-campers that wait at the starting spot.  Spawn camping is a big problem I think.  So, why not have spawn point defined, but ALWAYS add a quick plus/minus random number to the spawn point?  That way, they would spawn in the general area, but not exactly in the same spot.  This would discourage campers.
And, I bet the coding for this would be super easy... don\'t even worry about whether the monster would spawn in stuck positions... that would just stop them from walking away when you attack... hehe.

white_slayer

(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 03:08:58 am »
you could have younger versions of all monsters that are a bit smaller and they are easier.

NateBeast

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 09:10:00 pm »
i like the current system of spawning
although i would like to have them spawn faster
like after 30 seconds or so
not 2 minutes or w/e its at now
it would be too tedious having to chase them down if they ran around freely

this would make the game more realistic
but far more annoying to make money and progression points