Author Topic: Updater Question  (Read 689 times)

Rathnon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Updater Question
« on: August 04, 2005, 11:33:31 am »
Ok Im a new player, just Downloaded game last night and Im trying to run the updater...it seems to be working but is taking absolutely forever. it has been at 24% for almost half an hour but seems to still be getting new files...how long does this update take? :)
Weed is a gateway drug? Pfft Weed doesnt lead to other drugs....weed leads to a Snickers Candy Bar...

Tuutob

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 11:41:48 am »
ummm well... at least you CAN update. Whenever i try to update mine, it says \'an error log is being created\'. I downloaded the mirror \"PlaneShift_CBV0.3.010\", but that is the only thing i have managed to download...

Farting Bob

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 11:42:48 am »
Originally posted by Rathnon
Ok Im a new player, just Downloaded game last night and Im trying to run the updater...it seems to be working but is taking absolutely forever. it has been at 24% for almost half an hour but seems to still be getting new files...how long does this update take? :)

Well unless im mistaken, it will download the whole new version and install it over the old on. So however long it takes to download it all, and install it.
Yarr, I be a pirate!

Rathnon

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 11:44:23 am »
Originally posted by Farting Bob
Originally posted by Rathnon

Well unless im mistaken, it will download the whole new version and install it over the old on. So however long it takes to download it all, and install it.

Ahhh I see...so a damn long time lol...np will go watch a movie or something :)
Weed is a gateway drug? Pfft Weed doesnt lead to other drugs....weed leads to a Snickers Candy Bar...

Tuutob

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 11:44:27 am »
what about me? Should i just uninstall then reinstall the mirror, or get BitTorrent? So confused!

John_Thazer

• Hydlaa Notable
  • From the ivory tower, I gaze upon thee
    • View Profile
    • Chaotic Warriors
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 11:50:42 am »
Originally posted by Tuutob
what about me? Should i just uninstall then reinstall the mirror, or get BitTorrent? So confused!

You can either, try updating current version (I recommend, unless you got really fast internet provider and you can download the newest version)

Or download the newwest version.

You can try, but you shall fail! Seek us not, we shall find you.

Ogu

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • ugo.sinet.it/planeshift
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 12:45:03 pm »
I\'ve managed to update PS on my old Win98 PC using the updater.

When I run the PS client, it states the new version.

The problem is, I get black screens with white writing. I can still recognize the layout, and I can login with my account.

When I go to the character creation screen (still black with white writing), things get confusing, as I can still see all the writing from the previous screen. The writing from the various screens just overlap, making a big mess.

At this point I abort, for I don\'t want to lose my character name, but I don\'t know how to proceed.

Has anyone noticed this problem as well? has anybody got a solution in mind?

I Thank ye all, my friends
--
Ogu

Xaneorath

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 01:16:05 pm »
Yes, I have about the same problem.
When I was starting the downloader and it downloaded the new downloader.. the mess began.
Already in the downloader I had a complete Chaos of the Skin and the text, which overlaps itself over and over again, because the old text wont be deleted or moved after other text is set.
Well, I hoped it would be different once I start the game, but in the setting-tool, as well as in the game itself I have the same problem.
I start to feel cursed or something, since every time I want to try this game I have to learn for Exams, the server is down, or something like this happens :P
Well, guess Ill have to live with the excitement if PS can make things better, where WoW messed up from the view of a RPer, and maybe Ill just try to reload the client... ^^
Of course every hint that would prevent me from downloading the 200mb over again are welcome.  ;)

Wind to thy wings and stars to thy eyes,
                                 Xaneorath dp Flameshade

Edit1, 20:22,
Ok, un- and reinstalling wont do the trick, the downloader still is a chaos of frame and text, just when I update it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 01:23:29 pm by Xaneorath »

Ogu

• Traveller
    • View Profile
    • ugo.sinet.it/planeshift
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 01:53:26 pm »
Ok, So I\'ve had a little more success...

The screens are still a mess, but I managed to recreate my character without too many problems, by remembering \"more or less\" where the buttons were... after about 28 attempts, I got an \"Upload\" button. Yeah!

Once into the game, I saw a number of issues with my graphics, i.e. all the little windows have transparency at 100% and changing the settings has no effect. Of course, this could be the old Win98 PC having trouble, and it regularly crashes with PS.

Xaneorath, I did NOT download the full 200 MB package, I only re-ran the updater until there were no more files to update, and it worked.

I hope it works for you, too (BitTorrent\'s telling me that my download will take 78 DAYS to finish) :-D

Shasta Soda

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 02:16:19 pm »
play the game in 16 bit
<---- For those who don\'t know, it\'s from the Matrix.

Xaneorath

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 02:43:11 pm »
Tried that before ... actually I played around with almost all settings, before I posted this.
But I for once still have the problem. Every text overlaps other text, because old text wont be deleted.
I told you, Im cursed or something x.x

Xaneorath

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 04:03:44 pm »
wth ? o.O
Ok, it somehow worked ... I restarted with 16-bit a few times. Didnt work first, but after some tries it did .... strange indeed.

Tuutob

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 04:11:16 pm »
Originally posted by John_Thazer
Originally posted by Tuutob

You can either, try updating current version (I recommend, unless you got really fast internet provider and you can download the newest version)

Or download the newwest version.

you mean download the newest version from the website just using regular download procedure or using BitTorrent? And what is the newest version? I downloaded the mirror \"PlaneShift_CBV0.3.010\" or something like that. Please, can you give me a link to the newer verison?