Author Topic: This game is not very noob-friendly  (Read 13317 times)

BlackAcre

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2006, 03:15:02 pm »
Originally posted by Karyuu
zomg I just have to respond :)

Originally posted by BlackAcre
Finally, there are only two major activities we can engage in, so figuring out how to do one of them and then doing it is about as exciting as the game is going to get unless you are one of those role-playing masochists that wants to type \"thee\" and \"verily\" in front of equally pretentious sounding purple prose.

Have you tried roleplaying? Considering it is the very point of PlaneShift.

I know, I know...to be brutally honest I just don\'t think that\'s the best aspect of MMORPGs.  For me it\'s the massively and the multiplayer that really makes it fascinating.  And besides, I consider communication of any kind over the internet to be somewhat of a masquerade anyway.  But...yeah, roleplaying.  I used to be a believer, but at some point I lost my religion on roleplaying.  Recreating the \"glory days\" when I guzzled coke and munched on chips with the other pre-diabetics while punching the dragonbone (<---- esoteric gaming device reference) and gleefully chopping into a githyanki with my +3 Sword of Sharpness isn\'t as meaningful anymore.  I hope this means we can still be friends, because I think people who enjoy themselves are fun to be around.  I just keep to myself mainly.  Once some things are fleshed out with this game, role-playing can maybe become more attractive.  I want to have a reason to role-play with someone, after all.  My satanic looking dude isn\'t going to hang out with dwarves for the cookies and conversation.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 03:16:38 pm by BlackAcre »

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2006, 04:15:35 pm »
Ah well, as long as you enjoy your time ;) Maybe someone will pull you into a fun RP episode or event in the future, and  hook you in from there :>

It just bothered me to describe every RPer the way you initially did.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

defender43

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2006, 11:28:22 pm »
I can\'t agree with Kary any more. It is all about role-playing.
Origionally written by William Shakespeare
All the world is a stage.

And it is LITERALLY true for a game such as PlaneShift. You rely on your own imagination. Remember the time, years ago, when you pretended you were a soldier and ran around the yard shooting at nothing with your rubber-band gun? Or for those periods you were convinced you were a knight, running around the playground slashing at invisible enemies with your imaginary swords? PlaneShift is the imaginary world. It is your yard, your gun, your sword, your playground. You are not sitting by a keyboard, you are not yourself, you are not on the surface. You may not even be human.

THAT, my friends, is Role-playing. If you don\'t get it, think to your past.

Okay, I think I\'ll stop blabbering on before this turns into an essay and there\'s a waiting list of people to lynch me.  :P  :P  :P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 11:29:15 pm by defender43 »
\"Impossible is in the eye of the beholder.\" -- Laredo Silverspring.
\"Huh?\" -- Crimsonn Draycko.

Mynosare

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
To RolePlay..or not to RolePlay...
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2006, 01:43:33 pm »
He he..this was a fun thread to read..

Call me crazy, but I think PlaneShift is BRILIANT at getting out of people who they are..how they are..how resourcefull we are..how naggy and whiners we are (due to bugs for example or things-should-be-like in Morrowind, NWN or WoW attiude)..
how explorative we are vs. how much certainty we need (like maps, signposts, tutorials...who needs tutorials anyway, when the \"game\" awaits you!!). I think is a lot to fun to see people how they react to \"problems\" they face..do they start complaining, or find a way out..Observe this..its the same you are in real life! It was fun observing myself :)

I agree with the advice to give it a week before judging PlaneShift..(and this is as long as I have myself actually:); but the danger is it can \"get\" you in the meantime, and the fact that it is not comercial and people put passion into it adds to the flavour a lot ;)

About the \"not being newbie friendly\" (the topic of the thread actually:) I totally agree with Glendyal Aers..happened to me the same..I received advice, I got a sword, some money to invest in me. The result?! I started to do the same with others that needed help or guidance. My advice, treat others as you would like to be treated..and no, I am not a religious person :)

And finnaly, to roleplay...or not to roleplay...hard question :)
First time I heard people get married in game I thought they are somekind of lunatics, but then I talked to some and they seemed alright :). Also, with out wanting I happened to be in the tavern after yesterdays tournaments..The guys seemed to have a lot of fun roleplaying and they made me smile..so, I think its up to each and one of us, and what do we want. Don\'t we roleplay in our real life bytheway?!?!

Well, that was it..Congrats for the devs..I\'ll do my best to be part of the 10%!!

Have fun, and see u in PlaneShift..sooner or later :)

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2006, 01:56:02 pm »
I would just like to add that if anyone chooses not to roleplay, they still must wrap OOC (Out-Of-Character) text with parentheses or brackets when speaking, since RP has priority. Read the stickied Player Policy for more info :>
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Mynosare

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2006, 03:42:37 pm »
of course! It goes with out saying!

what I meant (and was not too clear about:)) is that there are different levels of role playing..from basic, which are default and come from the purpose of the game, and more advanced..like marrying! and each can engage on the level he likes..without disrupting the others..
after all, its all in our heads!

and maybe these levels are only in my head :)

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2006, 04:00:39 pm »
Interesting look at Roleplaying.

I find the more you roleplay the more you will enjoy roleplaying.

The different levels of roleplay seem like different limits of enjoyment...I am not saying everybody should get married I am just saying that one should let loss and see what happens.
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Einnol

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Plakkem Hverrjanor Guild
(No subject)
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2006, 04:48:08 pm »
I agree with the idea of different levels of role-playing.  It is a matter of what \'role-play level\' you choose to try to achieve and how much enjoyment you get out of it.  For me, it is a lot of fun to keep trying to improve my role-playing.  In a way it is like challenging myself to reach that next level of role-playing.  In my humble opinion, when you do \'get lost\' in role-playing, you can get a lot of enjoyment out of it.  In many ways, you do get out of it what you put into it.

As far as the game not being \'noob-friendly\', there may be a good point there.  But, my opinion is that the community as a whole in the game is \'noob-friendly\' provided that you do your homework.  Read the player\'s guide, various FAQ\'s, and forum stickies and take the information there to heart.  Treat others the way you want to be treated and remember that you are not the only one here.  This has all been stated over and over again and for good reason.  Do this and you will probably find all the friendliness you can handle.  :D

Ecolem

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2006, 06:17:26 pm »
Just as a side note the OOC bracket rule should only apply when talking in /say or (hopefully not) /shout.

If your in /tell you can do what you want.

Gris

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2006, 06:26:45 pm »
I just have to throw in my couple of trias worth here. I was on the game for 15 minutes and had already found out alot. I asked (like any lost and confused person would) and was given help by some very friendly characters.

I explored much of the existing PS world on my own. I had to run from terrifying creatures, got lost and wandered and eventually ended up in the Death Realm. I refused to ask for help in the DR (other than to find out that there actually was a way out). I found my way out in about an hour (and I was dealing with the black area Mac glitch!).

I found the trainers and merchants, figured out combat and looting & have thoroughly enjoyed puzzling things out (as i do in RL). I also asked for help when I really needed it.

I have met many wonderful characters and made lots of friends. I help the newcomers when ever I get the chance (IC as much as possible) But I only push them in the right direction. I never give them a walk through. I had so much fun discovering things for myself that I want everyone to have that experience. Part of me wishes I were still an ignorant newcomer, so I could still be having those experiences. But, as I have really been enjoying the RP, I am having new adventures all the time.

It seems that the people who complain about how difficult this game is for newcomers are (1) very impatient (2) not used to figuring things out on thier own (3) too proud to ask for help (4) just not very bright. It\'s actually a very simple game when played as a RP game. Just act like what you are (lost and alone in a strange place). It\'s that easy. When you come here and complain that you don\'t know what to do, you are just showing us exactly that. You don\'t know what to do, You\'re not supposed to! If you actually play the game as intended, you will know what you need to soon enough.

I know, I\'ve been rambling on...but I see these complaints so much and I feel they are absolutely ridiculous. Just play the game (or don\'t)!

GRIS

What\'s the matter, cat got you\'re tongue? ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 06:27:22 pm by Gris »
What\'s the matter, cat got your tongue? ;)

nightstalian

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2006, 06:38:03 pm »
Originally posted by dubert
This thread is reposted and slightly changed (removed the map part and such) in the wish list forum instead..

i realized it was more suited in there...

well, comparisons to morrowind, wich is the greatest rpg EVER, shouldnt be a bad thing? the example i proposed was also similar in lineage 2!!! you have a mentor in lineage 2 that tells you some of the possibilities you have to start of.. and btw, lets move on to replying on this in the wish list section instead. more useful there

you can\'t compare a single rpg to a mmorpg there elemental makeup is differnt
I am a Chirstian
So I believe in Predestitnation, and God giving us a \"free will\"
So what do I believe? I believe life is just a huge RPG

HarenaAbdolor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • +20 2 19+
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2006, 06:47:35 pm »
Welcome to PS!

Yeah... maps of the world definately wont be seen around here. You have to rely on curiosity... which is fine.

As for being a noob... this is the first RPG I\'ve ever played and I personally didn\'t have a problem figuring out the way things work.  Maybe that\'s just me...

Any who... I can see that this game is going to be the best ever in the future if it continues to grow as it is.  And the best part (IMHO) is that it is... FREE! *glomps the owners/inventors/etc.* I luv you. *cries*

Anyways, If you are having trouble with anything and the guide is just not doing it for you... feel free to ask someone in-game for help.  It\'s no problem... really. ^.^

-Harena  ;)
Favorite places: The Tavern and the Library.

Specialty: Knives and Daggers.

Quote:  Blue ... But the bottle said a modest Demorian Brown... *cries*

+20 2 19+ For the society.

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
(No subject)
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2006, 07:27:30 am »
Uugh, Maps. hey simply make me sick. Couldn\'t we for once not have a map of the entire game world once we\'re finished? We would just have completed maps set up on unofficial sites WHICH would destroy the roleplaying which this game is built upon. I see no fun in exploring unless i have to think hard to remember where that dang Rogue spawned, would you? Do we tap around with maps in our hands?I sure don\'t need a map to go to school. It just makes it too simple!:(

Please, rethink on this map idea. Make compasses, make directions but please, no maps:(

\"When outside the Hydlaa South gate, turn SSW and keep in that pace until you see a great spire. Follow its shadow and continue in the direction of it\'s tip. Keep walki until you see a great cave. Now you should be at the Forgotten Grove\".\"

Something like this?^:( Please?

Originally posted by HarenaAbdolor
Welcome to PS!

Anyways, If you are having trouble with anything and the guide is just not doing it for you... feel free to ask someone in-game for help.  It\'s no problem... really. ^.^

-Harena  ;)

Unless they\'re evil:D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 07:28:54 am by Baldur »