Author Topic: special thieves XPing way / places trapped without monster  (Read 593 times)

fken

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
special thieves XPing way / places trapped without monster
« on: September 15, 2005, 04:34:40 pm »
One idea i had on the irc chan:

xordan: another wish : a way to gain xp without killing just by missing traps

fken, that would be the finding traps skill

stfrn: not really what i mean

stfrn: ill give you an example

stfrn: a very old nation of magicians created a full trapped citadel
stfrn: but they all have been decimated
stfrn: but you can enter their trapped citadel... where thre is no monster
 Signoff: rnappi ()
stfrn:a lot of part will be trapped and you will be able to gain xp each time you success by reaching one point
fken, yes that is possible

it means that you passed the trap
well, it deepnds I guess
it could be you have an area marked as a trap
as soon as you enter you get one chance to use the skill \"detect traps\", and if that fails you get hit by something
in addition, why not have traps on the corpse that will force a dice roll to see if it goes off or not.  could have treasure chests that act as corpses as well.
which could be just being locked in, or could be a monster appearing
stfrn: and moreover it would be a very nice way for thieves to gain xp because they will be able to untrapp and so they will be able to pass the trapseasier

NB : I erased the other discussions
« Last Edit: September 15, 2005, 04:35:12 pm by fken »

Rage McCloud

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 04:40:23 pm »
Yes very nice idea but i THINK it has been said before... not sure though...

It would also give ruin divers good exp also...
Greeting fellow adventurers!
My name is Rohnan Darosel.

stfrn

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • the beaver ex-dev :B
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 09:22:59 pm »
Fken grabbed most of what I was thinking on this but there is one other thing that had not come to my mind at the time. In an old C64 adventure game, you were sent into a random dunguen with a list of random items to get, or an amount of experance. You \"won\" but getting either done. But to get experance there were a number of ways, mostly small puzzles, like bringing items from one room to another, but the part that I wan to bring up is every new room you entered also gave you a small amount of experence. Of course, each room has the chance of flat out killing you, so it wasn\'t easy.
Now, it\'s not easy to just say, \"anyone who enters this room for the first time gets 10 exp\", but using quests and the above trap checking, I think this could be possible.
Any other suggestions for skills that could be used just walking around?
player -> gm -> dev -> bum

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 10:34:34 pm »
Finding traps should give experience in...... finding traps.  Perhaps agility an intelligence as well.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Ethan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 12:22:37 am »
This idea is good because it is relatively easy to implement. But the traps  should be detect before the thievs walk up. The best would be to see traps if you are skilled enough (in traps finding, let\'s say). If you see it, that means you use your skill succesfully so you will increase it, but if not you won\'t see nothing...

why traps should be visible before if you are skilled enough :
- more reallistic
- allow the thief to be a \"leader\" : \"There is a trap at the corner, do that and that... Care about... \"

why it is more harder :
The test to see the trap should not be done each second, but rather the first time (and then another later or when you get wloser...) the trap should be in your visual area, so in order to do that you have : to keep reference to the character in the trap or keep references of the trap in the character. (This way allow you to choose to only keep a limited amount of \"traps\" according to the thief memory or skill...)It is easy to do it, but it will use more ressource (mainly memory) than your solution off course...
It will also use more CPU because each time the background is displayed, traps as to be checked to know if the character see them.

Trap could be with a \"normal model\" or something like with the selection...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 12:30:41 am by Ethan »
Wish list summary (under construction)
Your help is welcome!!!
Done : Weapons, Other items, Magic
TODO : a lot ...

darkw00t

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 02:47:04 am »
It could be like in NWN where after a while you automatically just see the trap (without having to do a look for trap test) though that is if you are a high lvl trap finder, thieves should be a certain lvl to find certain traps and all traps should be find in relatively high lvl areas but not in big open spaces more like alleys or castle pathways and door ways and such
Eleloy Shadowfrost

fken

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2005, 05:45:23 am »
1) traps must automatically spawn like mobs
2) the place where trapps spawn must be randomized

And then no need to register on the server if someone already when into the citadel : XP each time you reach a special place or untrap something.

Anyway, if the earned XP is a defined number of points, the high skilled thieves wont really abuse of the citadel : I mean there would not be anything to win if you only earn 0.000002% of your skill level by passing through the citadel...

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2005, 06:24:52 am »
I think detecting traps should be a passive skill, disarming them will be an active one.

So someone with no skill in detecting traps will only see the trap when it is too late *bam*
But someone with enough skill will see it before running into it. Depending on your detection skill and the level of the trap you could see one from \'miles away\' or just one or two steps before you walk into it. In that last case you \'ll need some quick reflexes to stand a chance or be very careful when walking around.

I also think there should be three kinds of traps: mechanical traps, magical traps and a combination of both. You will need tools to disarm them, unless the trap is way below your skill level but else tools will increase your chances in disarming a certain trap. For mechanical traps you \'ll need some tools ranging from sticks and stones to wirecutters or probes. Magical traps can be disarmed by magically charged items or spells and you \'ll need both types for the combo traps. What I \'m thinking of is that every trap has a predetermined tool priority list. Mechanical trap A  has 0.5%*lvl chance of being disarmed by a stone and 10%*lvl chance of being disarmed by wirecutters so obviously you \'d use wirecutters to disarm this trap. Here comes the trap detection skill into play again as well since if that skill is high enough it will show you one or a few decent choices of disarming the trap. If your skill level isn\'t high enough it \'ll simply say \"You have no idea which tool to use to disarm this trap.\"
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

fken

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2005, 11:52:55 am »
or maybe you could try to untrap and finally be trapped because your level isnt high enough (% system)

Anyway I am sharing your point of view and I would like to add :

1) there could be alchemical traps... science is a so mysterious thing...
2) you could gain some XP (not a lot of xp) by beeing trapped because it\'s well known : once you are trapped you learn the way to not be trapped anymore...

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 12:27:00 pm »
Alchemy traps could work as well .. they would mainly be poisonous ones though I am not sure how do disarm poison, only way I can think of is avoiding it.

As for your last point ... I imagine it would be like mining where an unsuccesful attempt still gives you a minor ammount of experience.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

fken

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 05:49:50 am »
if you want to disarm a poisonned trap...
( it looks hard to create a poisonned trap without having some mechanical principles...)
but you could simply recognize the poison and send the antidote on it. But you will need some special bottles

When I spoke about alchemical trap i thought about explosive but poison is off course a good idea.

and concerning the XP i must admit you are reading my though...