Author Topic: Challenge problem  (Read 2059 times)

Avarus

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The Dragon Council
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 03:14:16 pm »
Can\'t there held a dueling contest, for the ones among us who want to duel...

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 03:15:23 pm »
There have been several dueling contests in the past. If you want to organize another, by all means do so ;)
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

shmoo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 09:56:32 am »
Uhh...

If he asked one person over and over, that\'s invite spamming. If he asked different people each time, that\'s not.

I know I\'m new to this game, but this is just common sense for any game. I hope the server isn\'t kicking people for asking different people to duel.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 09:57:00 am by shmoo »

Robin1991

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2005, 10:40:20 am »
First I challenged one person he denied, then I asked another person and it come up a text \"you must wait -a time- before dueling\" I got a little bit frustrated and pressed the challengenge button several times and then I got sent to The Death Realm. When I got out I thought now I shouldn\'t do the same misstake. So I challenged another person he denied, later when I thought ten minutes had gone I challenged another player. Now I got kicked.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2005, 11:00:46 am »
Originally posted by shmoo
If he asked one person over and over, that\'s invite spamming. If he asked different people each time, that\'s not.
Doesn\'t matter what one calls it. Running around challenging random people is bad, no matter how called.
AKA Skald

shmoo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2005, 11:29:45 am »
Originally posted by Draklar
Doesn\'t matter what one calls it. Running around challenging random people is bad, no matter how called.

Why? Why is it bad?

If it\'s for some reason a bad thing to challenge people to fight, then I guess the PvP function ought to just be taken out of the game, eh?

Players (of ANY game) shouldn\'t be punished for using a feature that\'s built into a game, such as PvP. If you\'re going to take such a \"roleplayers vs. PvPers\" mentality to this game, then simply remove the PvP and be done with it.

Edit:

Tell you what... I\'ve got a better idea...

Simply add a function where each player can select to be in PvP mode or non-PvP mode. This way, those who WANT to duel can do so with others who want to duel - and - those who do NOT wish to duel will never be bothered by those who do want to (the idea is that no one would be able to send a duel invite to anyone who is in non-PvP mode).

This way, everyone is happy and no one gets punished - or annoyed.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 11:56:34 am by shmoo »

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2005, 11:57:34 am »
Why? Why is it bad?
Do you often see people running around your city attacking random people?

If it\'s for some reason a bad thing to challenge people to fight, then I guess the PvP function ought to just be taken out of the game, eh?
It\'s here for role-playing reason. Whereas role-playing wasn\'t present in the discussed situation.

Players (of ANY game) shouldn\'t be punished for using a feature that\'s built into a game, such as PvP. If you\'re going to take such a \"roleplayers vs. PvPers\" mentality to this game, then simply remove the PvP and be done with it.
The function isn\'t here for PvPers, but for role-players. That\'s why such system is added and that\'s why you have the PvPer complaining here.

Edit:
Tell you what... I\'ve got a better idea...

Simply add a function where each player can select to be in PvP mode or non-PvP mode. This way, those who WANT to duel can do so with others who want to duel - and - those who do NOT wish to duel will never be bothered by those who do want to (the idea is that no one would be able to send a duel invite to anyone who is in non-PvP mode).

This way, everyone is happy and no one gets punished - or annoyed.
Bad idea. If role-player wants to fight against other players, but wants only from role-playing reasons and not just randomly, then what should he do? Hmm?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 11:59:33 am by Draklar »
AKA Skald

shmoo

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2005, 12:13:00 pm »
If PvP is in this game solely for the purpose of roleplaying, then that is fine.

But a computer (ie; the server, counting the number of times someone sends a duel invite each hour) cannot effectively enforce such a policy... since the computer cannot determine the context of the duel invites.

Look back at the edit I made to my last post and read my alternative idea. It makes much better sense in the case of roleplaying than the current \"punishment\" system. During the course of your roleplaying, if you come to a point where two characters should duel (to win the hand of a fair maiden or whatever), you simply both click a button and you\'re in PvP mode.

At the very, very least, if a PvP-er invites too often, just have the computer/server TURN OFF his ability to send invites for awhile... don\'t kick the poor noob from the server. Punishing players for using allowable game functions (even if it\'s not quite as intended) is just bad game design and it alienates those players. We can come up with better ways to deal with this :)

Btw, yes, random, senseless killings happen in real life all the time. Just watch the news if you don\'t believe me :)

Edit:

Bad idea. If role-player wants to fight against other players, but wants only from role-playing reasons and not just randomly, then what should he do? Hmm?

How can you judge it as a bad idea just yet? It hasn\'t been tried. It\'s an idea that took me about 10 seconds to think up. If it\'s got flaws, by all means, expand upon it; don\'t just shoot it down without thinking about it.

Anyway, to answer your question... the player could easily click into and out of PvP mode at will (except during a duel). So... he/she could easily switch to PvP mode when he is ready to duel, then switch out of it again so he won\'t get annoyed by others\' duel invites (ie; being in PvP mode doesn\'t mean you can just get attacked... it just means you can invite and accept invites).

In other words, this PvP mode idea is really just a sort of \"duel invite\" spam filter. Maybe \"PvP mode\" should really be called \"I\'m not accepting PvP invites right now\".

Anyway, it\'s just a brainstormed idea. It needs to be \"finessed\" for sure.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 12:39:04 pm by shmoo »

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2005, 12:42:39 pm »
Look back at the edit I made to my last post and read my alternative idea. It makes much better sense in the case of roleplaying than the current \"punishment\" system. During the course of your roleplaying, if you come to a point where two characters should duel (to win the hand of a fair maiden or whatever), you simply both click a button and you\'re in PvP mode.
People would still challenge randomly. That\'s bad role-play and shouldn\'t happen. It doesn\'t solve much.

Btw, yes, random, senseless killings happen in real life all the time. Just watch the news if you don\'t believe me :)
I don\'t know where you get this from. You actually believe in Hydlaa-sized city someone murders other people without any reason all the time? The population would be like ten times smaller if that was the case. We can\'t just leave the Death Realm.
And yeah, believing everything that is said on TV... Sorry, but I\'ll pass. I can\'t possibly figure out how in most cases a reporter can be absolutely sure someone murdered other person without a reason and not as an act of revange or something :P
When walking through plaza I was challenged many times. But you know, I was never attacked with a knife or anything in real life.
But yeah, TV :P

If it\'s got flaws, by all means, expand upon it; don\'t just shoot it down without thinking about it.
I think that would be why I posted this:
If role-player wants to fight against other players, but wants only from role-playing reasons and not just randomly, then what should he do? Hmm?

Anyway, to answer your question... the player could easily click into and out of PvP mode at will (except during a duel). So... he/she could easily switch to PvP mode when he is ready to duel, then switch out of it again so he won\'t get annoyed by others\' duel invites (ie; being in PvP mode doesn\'t mean you can ust get attacked... it just means you can invite and accept invites).
How will he know someone wants to challange him because of role-playing reasons? Apparently it would be done same way as it has to be done now. Your idea only removes the role-play enforcement and eliminates punishment for ooc behaviour. Adds a must for role-players to switch the options all the time, while the PvPers strive. Can\'t see how it can be good.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 12:45:03 pm by Draklar »
AKA Skald

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2005, 01:16:33 pm »
Ok, first of all, here\'s the initial thread on the topic:  click here

Secondly, I wrote the thing.  Those who are experiencing the kills and the kicks always leave out all the important details to make them sound innocent...  Like the 3 or 4 denys...

Here\'s how things go:
  • Get denied for any invite using the spam-blocker.  (duel, group, and guild invites)
  • Locked out for one minute.
  • After lockout, if you get denied again, you\'re locked out for 5 min.
  • After lockout, if you get denied again, you\'re locked out for 10 min.
  • If you try to invite during this lockout, you\'ll receive a penalty of advisor (and duel if duel spam) points and death.
  • After lockout, if you get denied yet another time (we\'re up to 4 times here), you\'re locked out for 30 min.  Any attempts to invite within this time result in a kick.
It takes 4 denies, and a 5th invite attempt, after ignoring 16 minutes of penalties to get kicked!

The penalty level is stored by account, and can expire with time.

At any point in time you may accept an invite, regardless of lockouts.

Simply put, I don\'t care if you\'re violent or not.  Just don\'t use the prompting system to annoy people.

Use your words, not the /challenge command!

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::

Bebel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2005, 03:37:05 pm »
What about some PVP zone ?
PVP on famous zone that we could make easy money for example, a zone that worker need protections from good guilds  ;)
The evil is like an iceberg.
The Dark Empire is the little floating part you can see, but below this, there is a huge part...

bushidobull

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2005, 02:49:51 pm »
Ok with the new pvp rules Iv already gotten over -90 points in duel SO for now on Im ignoring the points and going for the WIN, And the DR  wont stop me it really isnt any penity any ways I say ask whom who want ..
Oh if some one doesnt want to duel they can decline and not cry about spam invites
also any one who want to duel let lentomi know:) this is the last communication in game or out that will be done for Dueling..
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 02:52:08 pm by bushidobull »

A true warrior is always armed with three things: the radiant sword of pacification; the mirror of bravery, wisdom, and friendship; and the precious jewel of enlightenment.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2005, 03:12:52 pm »
Except that after a certain amount of penalties, you\'re eligible for a kick off the server, right?

Definitely fight whomever you want, but make sure you have an in-character reason for it. Otherwise, buh-bye :)
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

bushidobull

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2005, 01:03:01 am »
Originally posted by Karyuu
Except that after a certain amount of penalties, you\'re eligible for a kick off the server, right?

Definitely fight whomever you want, but make sure you have an in-character reason for it. Otherwise, buh-bye :)

True I get kicked But back on in under 3 minutes No problem :)
Oh and I have only been kicked one time the Only way Ill stop is to remove duel option compleatly...also I just Ask them to duel I need NO other reason than that and to think that isnt realistic think again , you may not like it ...to bad thats the way Im doing it...:)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 01:06:08 am by bushidobull »

A true warrior is always armed with three things: the radiant sword of pacification; the mirror of bravery, wisdom, and friendship; and the precious jewel of enlightenment.

bushidobull

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2005, 01:17:13 am »
Originally posted by Draklar
People would still challenge randomly. That\'s bad role-play and shouldn\'t happen. It doesn\'t solve much.

I don\'t know where you get this from. You actually believe in Hydlaa-sized city someone murders other people without any reason all the time? The population would be like ten times smaller if that was the case. We can\'t just leave the Death Realm.
And yeah, believing everything that is said on TV... Sorry, but I\'ll pass. I can\'t possibly figure out how in most cases a reporter can be absolutely sure someone murdered other person without a reason and not as an act of revange or something :P
When walking through plaza I was challenged many times. But you know, I was never attacked with a knife or anything in real life.
But yeah, TV :P

If it\'s got flaws, by all means, expand upon it; don\'t just shoot it down without thinking about it.
I think that would be why I posted this:
If role-player wants to fight against other players, but wants only from role-playing reasons and not just randomly, then what should he do? Hmm?

Anyway, to answer your question... the player could easily click into and out of PvP mode at will (except during a duel). So... he/she could easily switch to PvP mode when he is ready to duel, then switch out of it again so he won\'t get annoyed by others\' duel invites (ie; being in PvP mode doesn\'t mean you can ust get attacked... it just means you can invite and accept invites).
How will he know someone wants to challange him because of role-playing reasons? Apparently it would be done same way as it has to be done now. Your idea only removes the role-play enforcement and eliminates punishment for ooc behaviour. Adds a must for role-players to switch the options all the time, while the PvPers strive. Can\'t see how it can be good.

So you want people to role play before Pvp-ing  ...who are you to decide how I should Role play. Ill decide that Not no computer not no gm not no other player.....