Author Topic: Combat...Races...Modability???  (Read 838 times)

LordDrake

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Combat...Races...Modability???
« on: December 06, 2002, 03:47:58 pm »
Ok,  some of these may have already been brought up, but it\'s finals season and I am lazy, so here goes.

Combat/Movent:
     I assume that the melee combat is going to be a mixture of stats/roll driven chances and adventure-esque attacks (chop, slash, stab, etc.).  What I think would be a great idea is to allow for combinations in attacks.  So, say you jump in the air, do a chop (could even give the chop more power) then spin around with a slash, followed by and upward swing and a stab.  Hope that makes sense.
     Also, it would be cool if you could jump sideways and backwards.
     As for magic combat, I think it would be cool if some of the spells actually affect the target physically, knocking them back etc.  Also, a magic combination system could be made too (a fireball, followed by a wind spell could create a fire tornado around the targe, or a water spell followed by a lighting spell could enhance the damage of the lightning spell).

Modability:
     One of the newest trends in the gaming industry is the rise of the Mod.  I think it would be really smart (and even easier for this project considering it is opensource) to encourage the submission of Mods.  Being that it is an online game a player couldn\'t just mod their game and sign onto the server, but what could be implemented is a submission system where a mod is submitted, with a description and with specific guidlines and then it could be plugged into the server.  So, say a player had earned the right to own a house in the game, you could give them the option of just getting a pre-made house or you could let them model and furnish their own.  This could go for races too.  I know there are alot of different ideas for races (I\'ll get to mine in a second  ;) ), and it would be cool if you could allow the community to model our own, create histories for them that fits the lore, and then add them to the server.

Races:
     I think an angelic race is warranted, considering there is the demonic race (forget their name off hand).

Well, that is about it.  I know some of these things would be a whole lot of work, but I know they are possible...and hey, this is a wish list after all.  Feel free to post your thoughts.
Check out my Morrowind Modding page:
LordDrake\'s Mods
This is the BEST WEBPAGE EVER!!! It is hillarious, trust me:
BEST THING EVER!

Aduin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 04:05:15 pm »
Not bad ideas LordDrake. The combo idea has been discussed, but at this point I doubt it will be implemented. Combos, and real-time player-skill-based fighting give too much power to those with good computers/connections. As for your idea with magic, I definately like the idea of combined magic, a spell followed by another spell for increased effect. Modability hasn\'t been discussed before to the best of my knowlege, but it sounds like a good idea. As for the angelic race, it\'s a good idea, but the demonic race you refer to, Diaboli, I don\'t think they\'re actually supposed to be demonic, they just look it. Also, the problem with having inately good, and evil charecters becomes that PvP between the two should be allowed, otherwise they aren\'t really angelic or demonic. Anyways, not bad ideas. Read some other posts and keep posting.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 04:21:25 pm »
As far as I know people can submit what they want to the ps team...thats what contributers are :)

As for the races, it\'d be cool...but i dont think their adding to them :(

BaretteDeBeurre

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2002, 04:22:29 pm »
does the chance of changing designer minds about PvP only in arena exists?

How will the alignement work?

i definitely like the idea of combos, and we could expense to self creation spells by combining spells

I don\'t think that modding should be applied to a MMORPG
« Last Edit: December 06, 2002, 04:23:27 pm by BaretteDeBeurre »

Aruneko

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2002, 04:35:59 pm »
The odds of getting the dev\'s to change their minds is 1 : 100000000.

They have made their decision many many times and they won\'t change it until it is proven ineffective.

LordDrake

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2002, 05:51:24 pm »
Yeah, I noticed that you could become a contributer, but that is a bit too close to being a part of the actual development team.  A bit more fleshed out description of what I mean would go like this:

Once the game is \"done\" (playable) the developers should release a copy of whatever tool they developed/used to make the world (so basically an editor like in other games, only it would be the exact tool in this case since there are no issues of copyright protection etc.).  This tool could then be used by players to litterally edit the world (to an extent).  It could be used to import new models, animations, skills, spells, landscape...basically anything and everything that is in the game.  Heck, if the idea were really being backed the tool could include a scripting language (or even just a scripting tool that uses c++).

As for the inclusion of mods into an MMORPG, it would be tricky, but not unfeasable considering that the base world were set up in the right way.  It would definately take a specific set of rules/procedures to be developed regarding what kinds of mods would be integrated etc.

The main reason I think this is a good idea is because there are often times little things that developers don\'t have time to implement, or just don\'t think of, that players notice and could easily develope and include.  Plus, it would be darn cool to be walking down your street and see a player\'s house slowly being built, and then see a totaly unique house pop up next to your own totaly unique house  :D
LordDrake\'s Mods
BEST THING EVER!

BaretteDeBeurre

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2002, 04:51:48 am »
Yeah, it could be a good idea, but only if you had to propose your mod and developpers decide to implement it or not, or there will be imbalances created, as most of mod will advantage the mod creator\'s envy

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2002, 05:03:50 am »
Yeah, and then 20000 people will submit crappy mods and none of them will make it, not even good ones, And then people will come here on the forums and cry because none of them are getting in. You don\'t mod a Massive Multiplayer game, leave it to the developers. If you want to see your Ideas in then sign up as a developer or contribute it to them.
The Great Linksunius

BaretteDeBeurre

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2002, 05:20:56 am »
they could only suggest finished mods

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2002, 06:37:49 am »
No, they can let the developers do what they signed up to do, make a good game, if someone wants to work on it they can sign up too.
The Great Linksunius

bbum

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2002, 07:24:22 am »
links right, you dont make mods for mmrpgs, and releasing an editor would not be possible

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2002, 01:12:59 pm »
Originally posted by bbum
and releasing an editor would not be possible

besides, their busy with the game...dont wanna mess with all that and waste their time

Fiere

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2002, 01:52:16 pm »
?(   I know very little about programming but doesn\'t NWN have exactly the capibilites being discussed here?
If its too much or unreasonable for the PS team I understand but its certainly not impossible for MMORPG\'s in general.

Khaless nau uss mzild taga dosstan[/FONT]
Follow me into Darkness

LordDrake

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2002, 06:05:41 pm »
Ok, obviously either I forgot to mention this or most of oyu just missed it, but I wouldn\'t expect this whole idea of moddability to be implemented anytime soon.  And no, it wouldn\'t be unbalanced if handled correctly.  Yes, it would take creating a submision system, but most of the rules etc. could be automated via some simple scripting to keep people from submiting \"crappy\" mods.  Oh, and as for not being a good idea, I am sure people said that about creating a world on a server and having people connect to it and live out alternate lives...this would only add that much more depth to the game and that much more realism if implemeted right.  I still think that it is a feasable and a worthwhile idea and the more I think about it I may just see about \"contributing\" it to the project  :D .  Oh, and Link, yes the developers signed up to make a good game, and IMHO this would fall under that, considering it would add to the goodness of the game (IMHO again).  Oh, and as for the editor, the developers already made one, they had to to be able to put together the world (unless they are doing it completely through coding, which I doubt greatly).
LordDrake\'s Mods
BEST THING EVER!

ParaSite

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2002, 08:00:27 pm »
I know very little about programming but doesn\'t NWN have exactly the capibilites being discussed here?

Yes, but NeverWinter Nights isn\'t a MMORPG!
<Worf> These are the moments when my ego gets put back on the ground. I use linux for quite some time, and am soon 2 years maintainer of a linux distribution. I started to think I would be good at it. But then I tried to get planeshift running.