Author Topic: Latest and greatest PS (2006-01-03 CVS build)  (Read 1390 times)

Bereror

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Planeshift API
Latest and greatest PS (2006-01-03 CVS build)
« on: January 04, 2006, 01:52:12 am »
I finally managed to build and get working the latest and greatest CVS HEAD version. After spending one evening with the new PS version, here are some of my findings. I hope this feedback has some value.

1. Font scaling.
I like the new option in the setup that changes the font scaling factor. Unfortunately fonts in different windows are not balanced. If I make fonts smaller to get them to the size I like in shortcuts and options windows, fonts in the chat window become too small and in the stats window unreadable. Scaling factor that works for chat and stats windows is too large for other windows.

2. New mouse events in CS.
At the beginning I had some troubles getting my mouse working,  but then I realized that button numbers are changed and start with \"0\" now (left-click changed from \"1\" to \"0\", right-click from \"2\" to \"1\" and middle-click from \"3\" to \"2\" ). But I couldn\'t get the mouse-look function working where you can middle-click and then look around with mouse.

In addition, the mouse button number for changing the toolbar (or button bar or whatever you call it ;) ) style seems to be hard-coded to \"2\". It is now the middle-button that changes the style and not the right-button as it was before.

3. Labels.
Looks like there is a new graphic glitch in labels (sorry for posting character names here, but that\'s the only way to show it).

I have seen similar \"effects\" before, but only when switching between the Planeshift window and any other windows. And they were always repainted when switching back to the Planeshift window.

Otherwise, great job and thanks for your effort! I am sure there are many more bugs to find and fix :P
PlaneShift Sources
PlaneShift API
"Words never spoken
Are the strongest resounding"

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 02:55:51 am »
1)  Yep, my font scaler scales them all the same percentage.  So, the proportions get maintained, which means any unbalanced sizes get amplified.  I\'ve found that 1024x768 windowed looks good at 90%.  Any more, and things get wonky.  I\'m thinking each window could get it\'s own scaler, too, maybe.

2)  As I said in a note in the history file, you\'ll just have to re-set all your bindings, or use defaults.  Some of the button IDs were hardcoded in a few places, and it seems stfrn and I missed the control window.  Took 3 seconds to do it correctly.  And yes, mouse-look is broken again.  Thanks for reporting it.

3)  Dfryer fixed the inconsistent sizes, and I fixed the bad startup sequence that prevented them from showing half the time, but yeah... they\'ve been showing behind crap, and the corruption has been around for a while.  Better than the sorry state they were in before, but not quite there yet.  ;)

Edited to add:
I just added \"/repaintlabels force\" to the repaint command to access the function I added that initially loads the labels on startup.  It takes longer than the regular /repaintlabels command, but it should fix more problems.  We obviously still need to fix whatever the problem is, though.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 03:31:49 am by DaveG »

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 01:20:15 pm »
A bleeding edge compile yesterday (jan 3rd) resulted in a good stabile client except that my characters are all wading through the world, up to their knees in whatever they  are walking on.  This eventually results in frequent falling of the edge of the world.

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 06:07:29 pm »
I\'m having no such problem with latest.  You need latest Cal3D/CS/CEL to run latest PS correctly.  Please check that you\'re not still using the old freeze date.  (16th)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 06:07:51 pm by DaveG »

AryHann

• Veteran
  • WonderWoman
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 08:35:08 am »
Can somebody do a massive test with the weather stuff?

Anyway, with PS of yesterday/today, one big crash was killed...

Ary
AryHann

http://www.reflex.lth.se/culture/annelov - Virtual Annelöv -
Engine Dep. - One of Talad's Angels - Aka ww & Ahrijani's Goddess

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 05:11:35 pm »
Yeah, we switched the new freeze date (though, only recommended now; latest is still good) to the 4th due to that fix.

The falling through the ground thing was reported Magodra, but I did a clean build of everything just after he said that, and I\'m working fine...  So, at this point......... we\'re working on it.

Induane

• Veteran
  • What should I put here?
    • View Profile
    • Vaalnor Inc.
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 07:30:55 am »
I\'m having no such problem with latest. You need latest Cal3D/CS/CEL to run latest PS correctly. Please check that you\'re not still using the old freeze date. (16th)

I had built everything bleeding edge at the time.  Last night I did another bleeding edge compile, but alas, to no avail, the problem remained.  I thought it could be my system but the binary version from xordan doesn\'t have this trouble...

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 07:24:55 pm »
Yeah... this is weird.  It\'s really hard to debug an issue you can\'t reproduce.  :(

AryHann

• Veteran
  • WonderWoman
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 02:52:23 am »
As I suggest already the best, imho, is to ask Jorrit or go to #crystalspace and try to understand if something has changed. Otherwise, I think it is rather strange that some phenomena happens without big changes on PS side (at least, as far as I know).

Another good idea is to try to go back to a version/date of the client, thanks to CVS, that doesn\'t show that problem. As soon as you catch one, try to point out the differences in CS/CEL or in PS itself.

It might be slow, but the only real help that it can come to cross my mind.
AryHann

http://www.reflex.lth.se/culture/annelov - Virtual Annelöv -
Engine Dep. - One of Talad's Angels - Aka ww & Ahrijani's Goddess

backeroo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 03:18:18 pm »
Just build all on 4. January cal3d/CS/cel and latest ( 7th ) planehift. Looks fine so far, except, mouse run don\'t work anymore ( for me, maybe my fault as i\'ve twiddle around with some of the xml\'s ).  Seems to me, they\'ve done something interesting with the lights....  and, on Mac OS, it didn\'t crash on exit anymore.
\"Everything you can imagine is real.\"
Pablo Picasso

Gripen

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
No wonder! wrong code #!
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 03:44:38 pm »
Originally posted by Bereror
I finally managed to build and get working the latest and greatest CVS HEAD version. After spending one evening with the new PS version, here are some of my findings. I hope this feedback has some value....

2. New mouse events in CS.
At the beginning I had some troubles getting my mouse working,  but then I realized that button numbers are changed and start with \"0\" now (left-click changed from \"1\" to \"0\", right-click from \"2\" to \"1\" and middle-click from \"3\" to \"2\" ).

But I couldn\'t get the mouse-look function working where you can middle-click and then look around with mouse.

In addition, the mouse button number for changing the toolbar (or button bar or whatever you call it ;) ) style seems to be hard-coded to \"2\". It is now the middle-button that changes the style and not the right-button as it was before....

Otherwise, great job and thanks for your effort! I am sure there are many more bugs to find and fix :P

IS THIS CORRECT? Is the information in part 2 of this quote accurate? If it is then no wonder the in game button bar doesn\'t work for the mac.

Worse yet, the link in the mac guide is incorrect--the table shown in that link does not use the numbers of this post.

No wonder I can\'t get the dang mouse to work right even when I reset the .xml--I\'m using the wrong numbers!

Is this right?

Bereror

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Planeshift API
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 04:09:47 pm »
Originally posted by Gripen
IS THIS CORRECT? Is the information in part 2 of this quote accurate? If it is then no wonder the in game button bar doesn\'t work for the mac.

The information is correct for the latest version built from the CVS sources. If you use the current official 0.3.012 version then it is not.
PlaneShift Sources
PlaneShift API
"Words never spoken
Are the strongest resounding"

Gripen

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 04:22:18 pm »
Originally posted by Bereror

The information is correct for the latest version built from the CVS sources. If you use the current official 0.3.012 version then it is not.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I see, and I PMd Dave to tell him of the mess up--oh weel what now?
I take it the CVS is the version used on your own to test out and fix bugs, so it doesn\'t work well with the current game.

Is that a proper assumption?

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 06:49:23 pm »
The CVS is the repository that holds the source code.  Building from that (the \"CVS version\" ) gives the \"latest and greatest\" version of the game.  (hence the title of this thread ;) )  The current release (which you are probably using) was built from older code, and we will do a new release in a bit to get out the newest (from CVS).

In other words, the CVS is where we store the code as we edit it.  You can build a version of the game with everything we have committed to it, but most people use the released version.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 06:49:57 pm by DaveG »