Author Topic: Tournaments (to make up for no pvp)  (Read 759 times)

Monkeys eat peanuts

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Tournaments (to make up for no pvp)
« on: December 09, 2002, 02:10:49 pm »
Since there isn\'t much chance of PvP being allowed into planeshift I\'d like to see weekly/daily tournaments. This would allow you to test your unique build and compare it to others and show off your level/power/skills(maybe a few different level classes like paperweight tournament for the low levels etc.)

And the ability to win some cash/gear in these tournaments would be nice too.

Tournaments would prevent you from strolling all around the planes and having to drag an opponent to an arena if you are even lucky enough to find someone who will and is about the same level. Arena\'s aren\'t really used a lot in the games i have played so maybe tournaments can still bring at least some PvP without having to fear Pk-ing spree\'s.

If we can\'t have PvP this might be the second best thing...

Aduin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 06:09:03 pm »
Not a bad idea monkey, although I think it sohuld be less frequent than weekly. Maybe once a month or something. It would be hard though, to do this right, and it would take something away from game balance. Only fighters and mages would be able to compete. People that focused on trade skills would be left out. Plus, without levels, how do you break people up into different categories?

Monkeys eat peanuts

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2002, 02:16:15 am »
Well i didn\'t know the game had no levels heh (new to the boards) but for other people there could be some other competitions. I mean there are cooking competitions (allthough that one might be hard to realize in a virtual world) and such in real life.

And well there might be other ways to divide people into certain skill levels. The basic idea of those divisions was to provide an somewhat equal opponent to keep it fun for people. Don\'t see it a way to gain a lot of cash or gear but just a place and time to measure yourself against others.

klept_o_man

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2002, 06:27:53 am »
I think the idea of tournements is quite a good one, even if there won?t be a tournement for every character-type.
It?s better having competitions for some (especially as for example knights have a very competitive character) than for no one, in my opinion.

Aduin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 07:02:54 pm »
I agree that it\'s a good idea Klept_o, but if theres prizes for the victors, that creates an imbalance for non-fighting classes. Than, if there were no prizes, what would be the point?

Another question: How would crafting competitions work? When you craft something a random quality value will be assigned, that has a higher chance based on higher skill levels? That doesn\'t sound that interesting. That type of competition would be best if people could custom design weapons, clothing, food, etc... But it\'s already been established that that level of customization won\'t be in the game. It\'s simply too difficult, and a competition based almost entirely on luck isn\'t very fun. You might as well goto a cassino.

Monkeys eat peanuts

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2002, 03:40:51 am »
Well I\'m not talking about large prizes and maybe the competetors could invest money theirselves and the prize money would come from those who entered the competition.
The reason the prizes don\'t have to be large is because doing something you like is probably a bigger reward then the possible prize.

[shem]

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2002, 08:01:54 pm »
very good idea! go tournaments

Xolon

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2002, 12:43:28 pm »
Maybe i got some good news to post here...

There will surely come some arenas in the game, as there is no PvP. But when i cant say. Maybe things changes and the would come some little PvP ;)

-Xolon-

Culsoron

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2003, 01:19:37 pm »
Those who chose to to trading and to be blacksmiths and so on should have some competitions as well, but don\'t take away player vs player battle. Thats a must. I would love to fight in a tournament. It could be arranged like a the american football leage with the final, like the super bowl, played once a year or something. This would bring people to the stadiums to watch this event. The merchants could sell more stuff. A fighting leauge would be great. Every city could have their own arena, and their own tournaments once a month. The winners could go to the finals at the \"superbowl\" like event. Imagine a Colluseum or something similar, enourmos with great decorations and statues and so on. The winner would be the ultimate hero of the world. Kids would put posters of him on their walls :).

I don\'t think a tournament or league would ruiin anything for the blacksmiths and the farmers. I would wont to be a fighter, I want to be a woodsman or something. But I would like to watch others fight.

Xandria

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2003, 03:51:50 pm »
This idea came up before, but I thought it was worth mentioning here.  It was about having a fair once a month or so.  It would last for a weekend or so, and people from all different tradeskills could come for competition, as well as setting up stalls to sell their goods.  This would coincide nicely with a monthly tournament, and it could be one big festival for all characters alike!

How I set my timezone:

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Antarctica/Davis /etc/localtime

Culsoron

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2003, 04:24:02 pm »
That would be awsome, but I think a grand finale would be really nice too. And just imagine having a huge stadium in the main city. Imagine what it could look like. How nice it could be. The Colluseum in the movie gladiator is really nice, but our stadium could be even nicer.

Monkeys eat peanuts

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2003, 07:22:05 pm »
I just had an additional idea: gladiator like fights.

A group of players that had signed up (or maybe even prisoners as far as the game will have them :p) would fight each other or team up (team vs team) or solo/team against monsters/animals.
Just additional forms of competion basically like \'last man standing\'

Heh and once there was an emperor of rome who flooded the coloseum and had a naval battle lol that\'s prolly too far fetched but it would be cool :)

Culsoron

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2003, 11:20:57 am »
Team fights would be great. Guilds could settle their differences to the amusement of all. And Betting, there must be gambling involved. Then there could be bookmakers and so on. I dont know about how they plan to determine how good a player is at fightning, but creating bets wouldnt be so hard. If someone have won 4 games and are a great fighter meet some one foolish and weak the bet would be 1 to 8 or something. This will get a lot of people into cheating, but thats only life right ? And I guess the bookmakers would need to get money in advance, or have some muscle to collect them after the game is over.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2003, 11:22:38 am by Culsoron »

Creathor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2003, 08:37:05 am »
Team tournaments would be very interesting, maybe guild competitions. This once a month would be much better than just the arenas by itself. It\'s also a way to establish rank between the guilds and help them group for bigger quests. As for the prizes, I don\'t think they\'re fair or neccessary.

just my 2 cents

visit Mirth @ http://www.mirth.34sp.com/
Join BISM @ http://bism.tk
Member of the Communist Party

kinshadow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2003, 12:34:49 pm »
I think one big draw for tournaments/arenas/etc. would be a special facility for spectators.  Perhaps, people in spectator mode would get a little more info than what is normally presented (i.e. if a poison spell is thrown with no normally outside effects shown, spectators in the arena would be able to see it or a \"scoreboard\" would show the info).  Obviously, no info that would give the opponent(s) a strategic advantage should be shown.

Spectators could sit a stadium enviroment (this may not be pratical for poly-count reasons)  or perhaps magic viewing gems could allow you to see the game.