Author Topic: Halbred  (Read 603 times)

Aklarand

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Halbred
« on: January 08, 2006, 03:09:02 am »
I know that I promised a wagon but I just really felt violent after something that happened at work yesterday thus, I created a weapon. *shrug*

The texture has a couple of problems... namely that I didn\'t take the time to line up the wraps, (forgot the rise/run thing and I didn\'t feel like correcting it.) Also, the 256^2 version of the image is very blurry... there\'s not much that can be done about that however given the resolution.

Without further ado, here it is:

256^2 Version:

512^Version:

Head Detail (256^2 Version)

Texture Map(256x256)

123 Faces
67 Verts

2.5 Hours in 3DS Max/Photoshop

Trinx

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 05:41:30 am »
You typo\'d Halberd.

I like it.  It\'s a very interesting halberd design with the large hammer like head.  Would really drive that blade through armor.  

A couple of notes.  Both textures look good even the 256 texture by MMO standards.  However the rivets on the shaft under the blade look too big.

As the metal around them would be very thin where the rivets were and make it easily break.  Of course I understand that too small and they will become almost unoticable in game but perhaps just scale them down maybe 4 pixels or so.  A small change I think would make a big difference.

The rest is spot on and the grip texture not lining up isn\'t very noticable on the 512 texture and even less so on the 256 texture.

All in all a very nice low poly model and texture.

Aklarand

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 06:20:49 am »
Yes... I realized the typo... I left it because it\'s just kinda my lazy wa of saying that I suck. I suppose that it\'s now pointed out so I\'ll go ahdead and change it.

The rivets... well... there comes a time when you just leave well enough be. I unsharp masked the entire thing and that seems to have made them very ugly. I\'ll fix it in a little while. I seem to have energy and such so I\'ll just fix everything!

*edit*

Then again, there\'s no way to fix it so halbred stays halbred.

*edit*

Scary... Kan is quick as madness... anyhoo, edited the tex and used a couple of different techniques to make it not quite as awful. Also added a little flourish at the head so as to make it a little prettier. Fixed the rivets as best as can be without making them single pixels and fixed the grip... by completely discarding the spiral thing... too much work for not a lot of effect.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 07:17:47 am by Aklarand »

Cherppow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 03:07:12 pm »
Nice work, I especially like the shaft. The hitting end isn\'t bad either, but I\'d put in little more highlight/contrast to the edges and maybe some battle marks, to enchance metallic look. Also don\'t be afraid to draw little extra specularity effects on the texture; few black and white lines are usually enough. You can also make better use of the texture by moving and scaling the UV map. Right now there\'s a bit waste space on the texture.

In general, looks very good. :)