Author Topic: About Sky, Sun and Stars  (Read 510 times)

Shasckaw

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
About Sky, Sun and Stars
« on: December 20, 2002, 06:16:06 pm »
Hello there!

I wondered about the stars. In the cave of Yliakum, could we imagine networks of fluorescent mushrooms or irradiating crystals? It would act as stars.

I can\'t figure out how inhabitans of Iliakum can count hours with the level of water of the last level. For the ones living in it it\'s easy but for the ones living in Iliakum, how could they know about time? Why should the azure sun have continuous variation of brightness? Why couldn\'t it work with discrete state of brightness? For exemple between 12 and 24 level of brightness, each of them lasting one hour? With variations in respect of each seasons?

Another thing about the sun, in lower level which don\'t receive the light of the light of the azure sun but still receive its vital energy, fluorescent mushrooms or irradiating crystals receiving that energy could illuminate the otherless dark corridor of lower levels. With the discrete variation of the activity of the azure sun, anybody wandering in lesser level would be able to tell the time at first glance. What do you think of it?

Last, a little remark about the azure sun: it doesn\'t move in sky, right? So shadows would always have the same shape in Yliakum. Excepted if the azure sun is always on zenith: there should be almost no shadows at all.

Hoping to get some positive response,
Shasckaw

kinshadow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2002, 06:27:45 pm »
Originally posted by Shasckaw
Last, a little remark about the azure sun: it doesn\'t move in sky, right? So shadows would always have the same shape in Yliakum. Excepted if the azure sun is always on zenith: there should be almost no shadows at all.

I don\'t know about that.  Your shadow (in respect to the Azure Sun) would depend more on your distance and angle from the stone. So, if you always stood in the same place it would have the same length, etc. ,but if got closer or farther it would change.

Shasckaw

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2002, 06:37:22 pm »
Yeah, you\'re certainly right, I didn\'t think about that. But is the azure sun near enough of ground to see the shape of shadows have such variation?

kinshadow

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2002, 12:57:05 pm »
That would depend both on the size of the cave as well the height of the stone.  I don\'t know the dimensions of the Yliakum zone(s) off hand (is it mentioned in the history? I can\'t remember) so I can\'t comment.  Though I\'d guess from a \'dev\' point of view, almost all light will be ambient for a while.

[shem]

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2002, 07:58:59 pm »
yup

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2002, 11:09:00 pm »
DON\'T JUST FREAKIN REPLY TO POSTS TO AGREE WITH THEM, SUPPORT YOUR AGREEMENTS OR DISAGREEMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Great Linksunius

Ragnarok

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2002, 11:44:15 pm »
Originally posted by Shasckaw
Yeah, you\'re certainly right, I didn\'t think about that. But is the azure sun near enough of ground to see the shape of shadows have such variation?

Think of it like our sun.

--ps link, hes just being a rankwhore
~Ragnarok~
Three ice ages will fall upon the world, known as the Fimbulvetr. The time will arrive and the cocks will crow. The fire giants led by Surt will come out of Muspelheim. Naglfar, the ship made out of dead men\'s nails, will carry the frost giants to the battlefield, Vigrid....

Shasckaw

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2002, 06:41:02 pm »
So shadows won\'t move, right?

But there are some matters I don\'t understand then.
The azure sun is supposed to disrupt mater in near proximity probably creating a kind of ionosphere and so on...
But what about with the story of that octriach (or whatever else) attached on a giant bat hypnotized to fly straight ahead to the azure sun? You know, our sun is at about 144000000km from our earth. Then, how that bat would had reached the sun? And Yliakum cannot be so huge, the planet in which it resides is not huge enough, isn\'t it?

?(

boonet

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2002, 07:25:33 pm »
This is why this stuff is called \'Fantasy\' ;)

Ragnarok

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2002, 10:17:03 pm »
Originally posted by boonet
This is why this stuff is called \'Fantasy\' ;)

And this why these people are called \'users\'  ;)
~Ragnarok~
Three ice ages will fall upon the world, known as the Fimbulvetr. The time will arrive and the cocks will crow. The fire giants led by Surt will come out of Muspelheim. Naglfar, the ship made out of dead men\'s nails, will carry the frost giants to the battlefield, Vigrid....