Author Topic: Number System  (Read 287 times)

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Number System
« on: March 10, 2006, 04:18:06 pm »
Ok I was sitting down and thinking up ideas and such, so I thought of coming up with a number system for the enki race. (Altough it doesn\'t have to be just enkis could be the whole of PS, or even another race)

anyway here is the number system:

(forgive me for bad drawing but its rough)

as you can see like many old number system there is no \"0\" (for they had no use for it).

and here are some examples of it in practice.

I would like to see something like this implemented I dont mean people have too type this in, but seeing it say on posters or old texts and such would make it intresting. or perhaps I am crazy :P
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

mbr

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 10:10:33 pm »
And the reason for implementation? Won\'t it make things rather confusing? Especially for new players?

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 12:57:14 am »
It\'s already been decided that we\'re just going to use English and the Arabic number system.  Going with anything else will just confuse players, and it\'s just not worth it.  Something like this might be good for a secret code, say in a quest or something.

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 03:55:54 am »
Anyway - I would be able to make a TrueType font including such signs to enable artists to use them for artwork.

Any interests in it?

For the insets of Lolitra\'s shield I used the Galach font from Dune. But an own artifical writing system (font) would be a nice art project!

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 06:19:38 am »
Ok for the \"modern\" world of planeshift latin and arabic numbers would be fine. But having an older character set for ancient texts IMO would add more culture and history.
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)