Author Topic: Unofficial Fanart Challenge #2  (Read 6734 times)

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
Unofficial Fanart Challenge #2
« on: March 13, 2006, 11:49:58 pm »
Here's the second installment of the completely UN-official fanart challenge.  I can't wait to see what you guys turn out for this one.  Remember, the point of this is to give you all practice and feedback, so get workin'. :)

2d Challenge 2

Objective: Illustrate a concept for a long lost and no longer needed Kran watchtower from before the days of the Bronze Doors, when the creatures still ran rampant throughout the lands.  The watchtower rests high upon a hill overgrown with trees and brush, the ages casting the once proud structure into disrepair.  Your concept should follow the style of the 2 official examples of Kran architecture located at http://www.planeshift.it/razkran.htm .

Format: Entries can be digital or traditional (traditional entries will obviously need to be scanned). They should fill an 8.5x11, or A4, sheet of paper (or similar size digitally). Entries should be clean and professional, to the point that they could be linked to from the PlaneShift website as another example of Kran architecture (they won't be, but they need to look professional enough that they could be). 

3d Challenge 2

Objective: Model AND texture the same watchtower described in the 2D challenge.  Focus on making your textures really, really convincing.  You should spend at least 2-3 times as much time on the texture as you do on the model.

Format: Entries may use no more than 1000 triangles, and a 1024x1024 diffuse texture (this can, and should be, broken up to accomodate texturing the multiple objects your scene will have, so you may have, for example, 3 512x512 maps, and 4 256x256).  Surrounding landscape isn't necessary unless the landscape has an influence on the structure (IE: I don't want to see an arch shaped tower, ask why it's an arch, and have you tell me a stream goes through the arch, I'll want to see the stream).  When you enter, please post:
 - Up to four, with a minimum of two, renders as large as 800x600.  At least one wireframe, and one textured render are required.  Raytracing is not allowed. 
 - All textures (you can PM these to me if you aren't comfortable posting them).
 - 2 references (these can be as simple as pictures of old stone that influenced your textures)

<hint>Teaming up with someone doing the 2D challenge, and using their concept might just be a good idea.</hint> <anotherhint>Don't show anything to Niber, he'll likely steal all your ideas. ;)</anotherhint>

Deadline: Saturday April 15th, 2359 GMT

Submitting entries: Entries should be posted in this thread with some sort of heading labeling it as such. Please keep your entries limited to one post, and edit it as you see fit (before the deadline of course). WIP threads may be created in the forum if you want to get feedback as you work on it (please label them as a WIP for the challenge, so others know).

Judges: Cherppow and I

Prizes: A very proud mother, and a badge for your sig if you so choose.

A huge thanks to Underthemoon and Darkmoon for helping me with this one.  If it were just me, you'd all be drawing and modeling chairs, and there would be no words longer than six letters.

:emerald:

[Formatting fixed --Santiago]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 02:46:10 pm by Santiago »

Mentak

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 01:27:46 am »
Good idea. Here is a reference image for me. Made by me. DR (Hell) I might even use this layout :3!

That red thing is a Clapper. And up on the tower is the Kran. That to the left is the crystal. Hoorah for me \\o/!

Elentor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 02:04:29 am »
What channels can be used? Bump, Specular, Reflection, blabla, everything?

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 02:14:00 am »
Ah, I should have mentioned that.  Since this is for PS, lets stick with just diffuse since that is all PS is using at the moment.  If others are implemented, I\'ll allow those for future challenges.

Zaxim

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 05:09:30 pm »
We can use alpha maps though, right?

Also, when you say no Raytracing are you also saying no to global ilumination?

Last question, can we composit our model on a backgroud for one of the renders?

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 06:20:10 pm »
Yes, alpha maps are fine (but you\'ll have to spend texture space on that obviously).

Raytracing is simply pre-calculated shadows that mimic actual light bouncing around.  Global illumination is simply a bad attempt at making your shadows look pre-calculated.  So, yes, you can use global illumination, but I\'d recommend you not. :)

No post work may be done on the renders (except maybe to throw in a watermark or signature).  If you want a background, use a skybox.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 06:21:33 pm by ArcaneFalcon »

Zaxim

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 07:54:27 pm »
So in my skybox could I put in mountains and stuff like that?

josephoenix

• IRC Op
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 08:19:03 pm »
You could, but these are being judged on artistic ability and how well they would work ingame (as far as I know), I doubt a mountainous background would increase or decrease your chances of winning by much ;]

Short: Kran want watchtower! Kran no want mountain!

:P

josePhoenix
Sir John Falstaff: "Let the skie raine Potatoes: let it thunder, to the tune of Greenesleeues"

Farren Kutter

• Veteran
  • Death is only the beginning. Then true life begins
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 08:19:43 pm »
*Rushes off to start this new challenge*

Might be able to put more detail into this one :D

Elentor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 09:47:43 pm »
Originally posted by ArcaneFalcon
Global illumination is simply a bad attempt at making your shadows look pre-calculated.

Or it can be simply used to.. create a global illumination by distributing a non-uniform ambient light. I never use GI for shadows, but for light bouncing which is kinda the opposite.

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 10:07:35 pm »
Originally posted by Zaxim
So in my skybox could I put in mountains and stuff like that?

It\'s funny you should mention this.  I originally had mountains in the description, but was told PS has no mountains.  If you want to include some surrounding hills in a skybox, maybe even some surrounding landscape (these wouldn\'t count toward your 1000 triangles) that would be cool, but you\'ll only be judged on your tower. :)

Originally posted by Elentor
Global illumination is simply a bad attempt at making your shadows look pre-calculated.

Or it can be simply used to.. create a global illumination by distributing a non-uniform ambient light. I never use GI for shadows, but for light bouncing which is kinda the opposite.
Well, the shadows are pretty much all that\'s affected by GI.  It simply takes all the black shadows and pushes them up to a certain value, emulating light bouncing around.  It\'s best to keep it relatively low (since having pretty black shadows can be good for contrast), and use point/spot lights for all your lighting.

Elentor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 12:54:37 am »
Well, the shadows are pretty much all that\'s affected by GI.  It simply takes all the black shadows and pushes them up to a certain value, emulating light bouncing around.  It\'s best to keep it relatively low (since having pretty black shadows can be good for contrast), and use point/spot lights for all your lighting.

You\'re very wrong. Unless you are using a really bad unknown algorythm, global illumination algorythms are not limited to pushing up light on shadows. Hard shadows are only an effect caused by black bodies direct light, but in computer terms shadows are created by subtracting an area from the light calculation. Global illumination has no intention of enhancing shadows, it simulates inter-reflection on bodies reflecting direct light. For example, this is a quick image of a light inside a cube, and absolutely no shadow ever in the scene. The first is without GI, the second is with GI:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Kamashii/radinoradi.jpg

GI reflects the indirect light all around the scene, not limiting to where shadows are present. The fact that shadows are usually black unless you have a light from behind is the reason they are usually the first thing noticed when GI is enabled, but the GI function goes far, far beyond it.

If an area has shadows but is in somewhere where light cannot reach because it gets absorbed before, then GI will not \"push it up\", but it will surely push up the non-shadowed areas before reaching the point of zero light.

The fact that 100% of CGI movies and animations within live action moves use GI since Toy Story (and back then, they didn\'t even have a good way to implement per-pixel GI, the guys developed a pretty nasty way of turning every pixel on screen in a vertex to simulate per-pixel effects), plus 100% of professional games\' cinematics hould be a good hint that GI is not a bad attempt at making lights look pre-calculated but a technology needed to simulate real-life scenes (unless you\'re a true master on fakeosity). GI algorythms are the next step being implemented on new generations\' video cards (you can see the new HDRI half-life 2 map or the \"gas station\" demo at nvidia site) and even Planeshift city models has GI baked at the textures.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 01:05:45 am by Elentor »

ArcaneFalcon

• Hydlaa Notable
  • ?
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 04:05:51 am »
Your GI and my raytracing are the same thing.  I had GI mixed up with what max refers to as \'Global Lighting\', which simply sets a minimum value for all the shadows in the scene.  Maya calls the same thing \'Ambient Color\', not sure what it\'s called in blender.

Wired_Crawler

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 05:54:38 am »
Yes, alpha maps are fine (but you\'ll have to spend texture space on that obviously).
I lack theoretical background... What do you mean by the term \"alpha maps\" ?  Simply textures with transparent parts or textures wchich affect appearance of other textures ?
...maybe even some surrounding landscape (these wouldn\'t count toward your 1000 triangles) that would be cool, but you\'ll only be judged on your tower.
Does it mean, that I can present scene rendered in Crystal Space (and use bugplug for wireframe version)? Together with \"real\" Kran ;) ? At least there would be no doubts about raytracing.

Edit: ignore the first question, sometimes I forget about google...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 09:58:04 am by Wired_Crawler »
"Close the world, txEn eht nepO."

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 06:39:03 am »
Deadline: Saturday April 15th, 2359 GMT

8o So, let\'s hurry!

Or is it another month due? - Bah, I already made one. Publishings here are final? Fine for me.

^ Preview - click on it for a larger version (~ 1 MB PNG).

The blue \"stone snake\" around it makes the stairway and handrail inside.

My thanks go to
  • JASC Software (and Corel)
  • Alien Skin
  • Flaming Pear
[/SIZE]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 06:42:50 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty