Author Topic: I need a Map  (Read 1824 times)

Demra

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
I need a Map
« on: July 22, 2006, 09:27:52 pm »
When ever I leave the starting town I start heaing where I think the next town is but I always wind up going in a circle and ending up in the town I started in.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: I need a Map
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 09:29:47 pm »
Then you'll have to ask someone in-game to guide you :} We don't have any maps that show town/NPC locations - they prevent people from exploring on their own, or making their own player maps. In the future you'll be able to make your own map in the game, but for now you'll have to rely on player-guides.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Demra

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 09:33:29 pm »
Some how I new that something like that would be said :sweatdrop: Oh well  :) back to walking in circles.

Myrthe

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 09:39:57 pm »
well you can look up PS maps on google but they are hand-drawn and incredibly inaccuate (at least the ones i found) ;) :D

Demra

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 09:54:04 pm »
I'll cheak them out thanx.
Even if they look crappy they can still help me out a little.

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 11:04:14 pm »
the ojaroad map is the only one you can't rely on

Link contained spoiler maps. This is against the rules!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 12:02:59 am by Karyuu »
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 11:22:36 pm »
Wow, those maps... suck.

For a general sense of the world layout, you can use my "map" stickied in the general area.

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::

drah

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 03:10:39 am »
If you're really desperate for a map... or just more response to your requests for help in-game...
 it may be worth joining a guild.

I know one or two guilds out there have some excellent maps and other resources.

(not naming which ones though... because that too would be a spoiler) ;)

willelmo

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2006, 07:50:19 am »
I don't know about ready maps, but I started to make my own maps as I was always getting lost, now I do have few maps and even those are not too accurate I can find my way at least.

Pen and paper is best solution, imo. Also when you make your own map you will gain more knownledge about are than when you look map some other has made.

Edit: Oh, now I remeber what PS reminds me, nothing less than best RPG there was when I was bit younger, Dungeon Master (Well also reminds from  Eye of the Beholder).
What are those faces like question marks, you are too young? It was not that long ago, but here is little information http://dmweb.free.fr/
There were no maps and there was no internet to ask help, of course there was thing called BBS, anyway there I made my own maps to not get lost and those maps became quite hugh as one square of map was one square at paper. But it really was fun and now I have found same thing with PS and making maps here :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 04:41:04 pm by willelmo »

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 08:08:46 am »
Good point.

* DaveG remembers making Return to Zork maps on graph paper

Allive

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 08:30:51 pm »
the best thing you can do when exploring is go get lost and make land marks i.e if you se 4 trees then remmember it if you see an odd rock remmember it even if you see some monster remmember it you will evelntualy after a few trips start to remmember your way least thats how i do it.
I am afraid of fighting. I am afriad of being beaten and losing. But i am more afraid of surviving as a cripple than dying in fight.However. I always try to find a new strong enamy.
(Fighter in the wind)

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 08:32:46 pm »
Yep.  We'll be adding a mapmaking system at some point that basically lets you do this same sort of thing in-game, and jot down little maps and notes as you go.

ahrieman

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 11:37:54 am »
hello,
im planing to draw a map for PS and make it public, so everybody can use it.
Im also planing to set marks for all NPC players and their training functions.  :woot:

The only think i want to know is if im allowed to do that, since the PS community is lets say very sensetive about such things.  ;D

In my oppinion a map would help the PS project, becouse the game is really herd for noobs and with a map there is a little help to start with the game!  :thumbup:

If it is forbidden to create a map for public use, i will of course accept that!  :innocent:
im waiting for feedback
thanks
Ahrieman
-(~ .. ~)-

zorbels

• Forum Addict
  • Screenshot Queen of PS - EX GM - Strawberries <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 11:43:51 am »
Well in my humble opinion after the lastest client release I would say wait on that or you might be wasting your time. All the maps I have seen and known other players to draw were a waste of time once the Devs changed the lands. Plus there is many discussion on the map issue and I think the Dev' s want to keep it as realistic as possible. That means stop and ask for directions from other players in game. Much more fun than pulling up a map and just being able to locate the place you seek.

Over all use the search button and you will find a few good topics on the issue of map making.  :)
   I've been outside, it's overrated and the graphics suck!

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 11:54:09 am »
You can create whatever spoiler maps you want for private use. Private. This means no sharing it through our forum, no posting links, no saying "I HAVE A SPOILER MAP! PM ME!" and similar :P
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.